• The KillerFrogs

Max is not the answer

Big Frog II

Max is not Tom Brady, but he is serviceable. We cannot continue to let teams run the ball down our throats and give them short fields all day. Second week in a row we've fumbled inside our 10.

Zubaz

If you made a list of reasons this program is in significant decline you’d be deep into the list before you got to Max.
We have bigger issue, that's true. I don't think he's all that deep on the list. When your QB presents absolutely zero deep threat, other teams can play that. When he's no real passing threat after three years, in a qb-centric conference, it's going to be hard to win games.

Mean Purple

We have bigger issue, that's true. I don't think he's all that deep on the list. When your QB presents absolutely zero deep threat, other teams can play that. When he's no real passing threat after three years, in a qb-centric conference, it's going to be hard to win games.
yeah, when we were under 7 minutes, I did not have a lot of hope. No quick strike and we had put ourself in a hole by not running evans more

Moose Stuff

And yet he isn’t even close to the main reason we’re 2-2 and not 4-0. Questionable play calling, bad special teams play, out physicalled on both lines, turnovers, inability of GP to make adjustments, some of the worst LB play I’ve seen in years (why Harris starts over Hodge is beyond me)…. All bigger factors than Max.

Mean Purple

Definitely not improving.
I don' think we have seen staff greatly develop a qb in years. Hill had that ability and once he got a year of the offense under his belt, he made use of it. TB developed a little, but some of that was just phenom ability again. CP never had a chance to develop due to off field issue and then injury. He was on path to be top in conference efficiency.

Current qb1 does not look like he has developed much.

Mean Purple

when he does hit deep balls, it is usually because the rcvr had to slow up to make the play. while its not the end of the world, won't see a Doctson like sprint to the zone.

Eight

max had a couple of terrible misses in the first half that killed the drive before gary's time out on the punt and then the receiver inside the texas 5 on second down.

also agree with the poster who asked about max being unaware of the blitz on the fumble deep in texas territory in the third.

however, he isn't the guy who keeps making him the focus of the offense and for whatever reason zach only had 15 carries the fact tcu did not hammer the texas defensive ends with the two backs and force texas to take them away reminds me why meacham was sitting at home when gary re-hired him

And yet he isn’t even close to the main reason we’re 2-2 and not 4-0. Questionable play calling, bad special teams play, out physicalled on both lines, turnovers, inability of GP to make adjustments, some of the worst LB play I’ve seen in years (why Harris starts over Hodge is beyond me)…. All bigger factors than Max.
This is the worst tackling TCU team I’ve seen since I started school there in 1984. Never seen so many whiffs.

Zubaz

You can’t just ignore how Max’s skill set and ability factors in to play calling and act like they’re unrelated. They definitely are. If we had a QB capable of being Big 12 accurate on the deep ball, “questionable play calling” looks a lot different.

Again, yes we have issues on the defense unrelated to Max, but don’t act like the most important position on the team, especially in this conference, isn’t Top 3 at absolute most on issues with this team.

Moose Stuff

You can’t just ignore how Max’s skill set and ability factors in to play calling and act like they’re unrelated. They definitely are. If we had a QB capable of being Big 12 accurate on the deep ball, “questionable play calling” looks a lot different.

Again, yes we have issues on the defense unrelated to Max, but don’t act like the most important position on the team, especially in this conference, isn’t Top 3 at absolute most on issues with this team.
I’m not “acting like it”. I’m 100% certain it isn’t top 3.

Moose Stuff

Definitely is. Probably top 2. We have a qb that can hit the deep ball and we add, at least, 10 points each of the last two games. His fumble today alone cost us 3 at least.
You can believe whatever you want. I’m real comfortable with my observation. And LMAO at Max fumbling after getting smoked on a blindside blitz being evidence that he isn’t good enough. I’m not sure anyone should care about another word you have to say about Max after that observation. SMH.

Pharm Frog

Definitely is. Probably top 2. We have a qb that can hit the deep ball and we add, at least, 10 points each of the last two games. His fumble today alone cost us 3 at least.

His fumble? Blind-side unabated kill shot on a play action pass attempt… I give zero fault on Max for “fumbling” that ball. Only way he doesn’t fumble is having tucked it to run OR instantaneous rigor mortis.

Zubaz

You can believe whatever you want. I’m real comfortable with my observation.
Same. You can think that 180 yards passing, 1 TD (on a lateral pass), and a turnover is totally cool for a Big 12 game. I don’t think it’s gonna get it done and, wouldn’t ya know it, it didn’t.

And LMAO at Max fumbling after getting smoked on a blindside blitz being evidence that he isn’t good enough.
Feel free to make excuses for bad plays. Doesn’t make them not bad plays. Plenty of players are capable of either picking up a blindside blitz or not fumbling when hit. Max wasn’t on that play. Fact. That’s the difference between good QBs and ones that aren’t so great.

Wexahu

Today was ugly for MD, no doubt. Just seems like he struggles going through progressions and is so often a tick late. And then he rushes the throw because of it. Not comfortable in the pocket at all.

Seemed to take a step back today. Not progressing like you’d like. I’m not sure he’s ever had great or good coaching though.