• The KillerFrogs

Lupton upgrades?

TCUdirtbag

TCU usually does a great job with facilities. The original Lupton design predates that trend, but the additions have hurt us. I said it at the time and hate being right - but the player facility construction down the third base / left field line was a huge mistake. It significantly limits options in enhancing the facility.

The question is “what can you do about it?” If the department / donors are willing to start from scratch, where do you even go? The tennis complex is so massive as inefficiently laid out, you pretty much have to take out Lot 14 and the intramural fields, move track back to that northwest corner, then build a new baseball to the west.

Last edited:

Dogfrog

Pretty certain these two games were our only sell-outs all season. Reserved season tickets have been sold out for years but many people only attend the big games or sell them. Reserved seats roughly half empty all season. If you really like baseball during regular season, for most games just wear purple and buy a GA ticket, then find an unoccupied premium seat in the third inning. TCU promotes this. We played I think 37 home games this year. Avg attendance maybe 2000? I suppose you could make a case for building a stadium as large as season ticket sales would allow. Just keep in mind that the last two nights are a big outlier attendance-wise, so show up all season.

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
Pretty certain these two games were our only sell-outs all season. Reserved season tickets have been sold out for years but many people only attend the big games or sell them. Reserved seats roughly half empty all season. If you really like baseball during regular season, for most games just wear purple and buy a GA ticket, then find an unoccupied premium seat in the third inning. TCU promotes this. We played I think 37 home games this year. Avg attendance maybe 2000? I suppose you could make a case for building a stadium as large as season ticket sales would allow. Just keep in mind that the last two nights are a big outlier attendance-wise, so show up all season.
Said better than I attempted to earlier. I made a declaration early in the season that I currently can make about 15 games a year and I'm willing to give my two away. I had one taker on here.

It is a similar situation we found with football: No premium seating, modern suites/loges, wide concourses with views, the art deco theme, etc. Coach Saarloos has expressed his desire for something new like Oklahoma State's:

fs_01.jpg

I have heard costs for a new stadium in the range of $70-90mm.

TCU usually does a great job with facilities. The original Lupton design predates that trend, but the additions have hurt us. I said it at the time and hate being right - but the player facility construction down the third base / left field line was a huge mistake. It significantly limits options in enhancing the facility.

The question is “what can you do about it?” If the department / donors are willing to start from scratch, where do you even go? The tennis complex is so massive as inefficiently laid out, you pretty much have to take out Lot 14 and the intramural fields, move track back to that northwest corner, then build a new baseball to the west.
Yep.

I think the best option would be to move the intramurals to the existing Lupton Stadium (next to the newish Justin Fields Recreational Field) and build on the existing intramurals.

PurpleBlood87

Seating is not an issue for 99% of games IMO. Most games during the season have plenty of open space.

Expansion of the concourse for walking purposes would be #1 fan improvement. It was the best thing about the AGCS renovation. Not sure the space for that is possible without a complete tear down?

I can’t speak for the GA areas because I was in my seats. But considering the sheer size of the crowd, I though they did a great job trying to minimize wait times. I only missed 1 inning taking my kid to the bathroom and loading up snacks, and that’s mostly because she decided that was a good time to drop a duece.
For 99 percent of games, the width of the concourse doesn't matter.

FloridaFrog76129

It is a similar situation we found with football: No premium seating, modern suites/loges, wide concourses with views, the art deco theme, etc. Coach Saarloos has expressed his desire for something new like Oklahoma State's:

fs_01.jpg

What’s with the capacity listed on this stadium? 3.5k expandable to 8k?

This picture looks very overkill seating wise for Stillwater

Big Frog II

I think the location is fine. I would just rip out the existing seating, yes built on the cheap with CUSA money, and then rebuild the seating that extends further down the first base line with more restrooms and concession stands. Bring the roof overhang further out to cover the seats. Those lower level seats being metal are like a microwave oven. Just replacing the seating and leaving the field where it is would save a ton of money.

Maybe a new stadium in Lot 13 (east of Lupton) with the first baseline parallel to Berry. Right field and center field would then be adjacent to the soccer facility and home plate to center is on a NE line. I believe baseball parks are considered best if home to center field is aimed somewhere between north and east.

This should fit if you move the small tennis team building, north, closer to the courts. If the indoor tennis courts need to be moved, then reposition them somewhere near the SW corner of the tennis courts. I have read from the tennis fans here that the indoor tennis facilty needs an upgrade with a 6th court (now 5) and room for cameras. Lupton would then become a parking lot and maybe some part of the new indoor tennis facility, ONLY IF that needs to be moved, but best to keep it where it is to use that space if the ballpark fits.

Last edited:

ReedFrawg

My buddy that sat with me in GA said he’s been on the waitlist for years.

Not going to lie, watching Arky’s stadium in the regionals and then looking at Lupton over the weekend told me we are way behind in baseball facilities.

fs_01.jpg

There would be a lot of empty seats during the regular season.

PurpleBlood87

I think the location is fine. I would just rip out the existing seating, yes built on the cheap with CUSA money, and then rebuild the seating that extends further down the first base line with more restrooms and concession stands. Bring the roof overhang further out to cover the seats. Those lower level seats being metal are like a microwave oven. Just replacing the seating and leaving the field where it is would save a ton of money.
The lower level seats aren't metal.