• The KillerFrogs

Looking to try new Fort Worth tex mex place

Chongo94

Is that the one on N Main, on the west side before the Stockyards? If so I agree. First found it in the mid-80s as an undergrad and thought it was awesome. Always a good sign to look around and see nothing but Spanish speakers.
That’s it. And totally agree.

Bizarro Frog

Mariachis on Camp Bowie is pretty legit. It's not real big but have a full bar and a regular or vegetarian menu. The Birria De Res Tacos (don't tell your cardiologist) and the Mariachis Tacos are solid. Don Artemio on 7th is a high end Mexican Steak House and bad arse. Marias on University is a little expensive but good as well. Los Tacos H on 8th/Cleburne by Berry St has good inexpensive street tacos, lots of salsas, good nopales tacos.

Diehard

My favorite is El Paseo on Jacksboro Hwy. Can really get crowded. Reminds me of the way El Chico was 50 years ago, before big corporations temporarily ruined it by trying to turn it into a California/midwestern style Mexican place. Most of their food in freshly made...the chips seem to be freshly fried.

My favorite unique Tex-Mex place was Caros on Bluebonnet Circle. Very unusual but tasty. It's what I went to when I did not want traditional Tex-Mex.
Man, Caro's was really great. Different taste in a way but kind of like Mama's Pizza .Different but good. Was there a LOT.

HG73

My favorite is El Paseo on Jacksboro Hwy. Can really get crowded. Reminds me of the way El Chico was 50 years ago, before big corporations temporarily ruined it by trying to turn it into a California/midwestern style Mexican place. Most of their food in freshly made...the chips seem to be freshly fried.

My favorite unique Tex-Mex place was Caros on Bluebonnet Circle. Very unusual but tasty. It's what I went to when I did not want traditional Tex-Mex.
Caros was Dad's favorite. Puffy chips. Waiter had the absolute worst hairpiece ever. Hilarious.

Realtorfrog

Is that the one on N Main, on the west side before the Stockyards? If so I agree. First found it in the mid-80s as an undergrad and thought it was awesome. Always a good sign to look around and see nothing but Spanish speakers.
Hottest hot sauce in FW!! And they’re open until 2am. New owners so could have changed

Dogfrog

Man, Caro's was really great. Different taste in a way but kind of like Mama's Pizza .Different but good. Was there a LOT.
As I recall years ago the original was near Curzon and Camp Bowie? The puffy tacos were awesome and when you left the place you were gone with the winds (and that’s a good thing).

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As I recall years ago the original was near Curzon and Camp Bowie? The puffy tacos were awesome and when you left the place you were gone with the winds (and that’s a good thing).
It is my understanding that the original Caro's is in McAllen, and is still in bidness. I am planning on visiting friends down there in a couple of weeks, and shall report my findings...

JugbandFrog

It is my understanding that the original Caro's is in McAllen, and is still in bidness. I am planning on visiting friends down there in a couple of weeks, and shall report my findings...
I lived down there forever and never heard it ever mentioned. While you are down there, check out Teddy’s BBQ in Weslaco (my cousins’s Top 50 bbq joint) His bbq is excellent.

While you are at it, if you want THE BEST chicken fried steak in all the lands go to Monterrwy Cafe and order the Special Mexican Dinner (comes with two enchiladas, one taco, rice,beans, and a chicken fried steak),

Weslaco has MANY great eating options and a reason I left there weighing 370 lbs!