• The KillerFrogs

Long time Badger fan

The Dude

But not here to start trouble. Really looking forward to our upcoming Rose Bowl game. Should be GREAT! I understand some of the anger you guys have with the BCS,...and totally agree with you. Trust me. as Badger fans we too know what it feels like to be slighted. You have to Remember, we play in a conference with storied teams like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. Wisconsin has had to claw its way to the top and earn the respect it deserves. All started with Alvarez. Should be a very interesting game for me personally as I really like Texas. Been a DIE HARD Cowboys fan my whole life, " but thats a whole nuther story" in fact Once a year I make the trip down for a weekend and go to a Cowboys game with some Texas folk I know. LOVE IT! Heck, back in the day before the new stadium was built we used to go boozin at the Ball Park Inn in Arlington on the Saturday night before the game....LOL The Joint is gone now , tore it down to make way for the new stadium. Also used to go to J and J's blues bar in Ft Worth, but I heard they tore that down too???????[ What the heck? ]! Anyway.....really looking forward to a great game. Watch out for that Badger O line though,....see the thing is,....their not only HUGE, and extremely athletic,.....but they are brutal. They really are. With them its not enuff just to block you,....they want to grind you into the dirt while doing it. Best O line the Badgers have ever produced, by far,....and they have produced some dandies.

P.S..........Soooooooooooo frikkin happy Wade is GONE I could just about dance a jig!

NubomTurk

Tier 1
P.S..........Soooooooooooo frikkin happy Wade is GONE I could just about dance a jig!

Welcome to the board, Whisky! Looking forward to exchanging views over the next month.

Badgers O-line sounds like monsters. It's going to be interesting to see if we can bring the heat with a four man rush on that O-line. Quickness vs size? We'll see.

We're happy Wade is gone, too, but things won't be really fixed until someone figures out how to fire the owner.

See you in Pasadena!

back_in_black

Moderators
I'm sure Wisconsin is great. Rest assured Gary and the frogs will probably present the biggest challenge yet for UW.

See you in beautiful southern California.

The Dude

Welcome to the board, Whisky! Looking forward to exchanging views over the next month.

Badgers O-line sounds like monsters. It's going to be interesting to see if we can bring the heat with a four man rush on that O-line. Quickness vs size? We'll see.

We're happy Wade is gone, too, but things won't be really fixed until someone figures out how to fire the owner.

See you in Pasadena!

Thanx for the welcome Turk! Yeah.....that O line REALLY is a bunch of monsters. What REALLY separates them from some of our prior O lines is how athletic they are for men their size. They have good wheels to get and and pull, they average around 6-6 325 but can REALLY run. In fact.........As a 35 year Cowboy fan Im ALL ABOUT drafting Carimi in round 1 and Moffitt in round 2. Those guys have played together forever and could slide right in for Bigg Davis and Colombo. Both of whom are DONE at this point of their careers. And there IS......a HUGE connection here. Our Badger Off Co, Paul Chryst is one of the hottest names in offense the last few years. In fact....Jerry Offered Chryst the job as QB coach under Garrett a few years back but Chryst turned him down. Didnt want to go from an O.C to a QB coach. But heres the rub,....Garrett and Chryst go wayyyyyyyyyyy back together,...word on the street is that Garrett wants to bring him to Big D next season to be the new O.C iF garrett is retained as H.C, which Im betting he will. Tell ya what though........IF it happens its going to be bittersweet for Me as Im a HUGE badger fan. Keep an eye on Carimi AND Moffitt, they BOTH may land in Dallas next year,

The Dude

This article describes the Badgers better than I ever could.......

Badgers play to win football games, not beauty contests
By Gregg Doyel
CBSSports.com National Columnist
Nov. 20, 2010

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Wisconsin quarterback Scott Tolzien completed his first 13 passes Saturday against Michigan. Early in the third quarter he was having a 14-for-15 day for 201 yards. It was pretty, but here's the thing. Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema doesn't believe in pretty. In fact, he sneers at pretty. Pretty is for other guys. Pretty is for Michigan. And Bielema sneers at Michigan.

So early in the third quarter Bielema got on the radio and told offensive coordinator Paul Chryst: "Hey -- they can't stop your running game."

Wisconsin didn't throw it again. Thirty-one more snaps. Thirty-one more rushes. And it worked. The No. 6 Badgers won going away 48-28 to remain in a tie atop the Big Ten standings with one regular-season game to go.

Reigning Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year John Clay missed his second game because of a sore knee, but his backup, Montee Ball, ran for 173 yards and four touchdowns. And his backup, James White, ran for 181 yards and two touchdowns.

"That doesn't happen by chance," Bielema said. "It's drilled into [the whole team] 365 days a year. It's a mindset. We plan it that way. We set it up that way."

And they win that way. Ugly? Don't say that. Wisconsin doesn't win ugly. But Bielema would happily tell you that Wisconsin doesn't win pretty.

"What we do isn't pretty," Bielema said. "When we recruit, we have to find guys who love football. They enjoy the challenge of working. Lots of places, the emphasis is on being pretty."

At a place like Michigan, for example.

Bielema never came out and said that, but the implication was clear. Michigan runs the spread offense, so keep that in mind when you read the following quote from Bielema:

"We're not the spread offense, so it's not sexy," he said after the game. "We're not on the [top] of everybody's wish list. But I tell you what -- 48 points is fun."

Later, Bielema was asked about Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson, who had another Herculean day (239 yards and two touchdowns passing, 121 yards and two touchdowns rushing) to set the NCAA record for rushing yards in a season by a quarterback (1,538) while becoming the first player in NCAA history to both run and pass for 1,500 yards in the same season.

Here's what Bielema said when he was asked about another impressive display of toughness by the small, fast Michigan quarterback.

"He's a good player. [He's] good for them," Bielema said. "We'd never recruit to that. Not our bag."

Wisconsin's bag isn't tiny, speedy guys. Wisconsin goes for beef-eaters. Earth-shakers. The Badgers' offensive line averages 6-foot-5½, 320 pounds. Ball, the running back, is 5-11, 236. Clay is 6-1, 255. The quarterback, Tolzien, scrambled into the clear on two occasions, and both times lowered his head when he encountered a defender. One time, on the sideline, he avoided stepping out of bounds just to hit a Michigan linebacker. The other time, he smashed into a Michigan defender in the middle of the field and fumbled.

"We have to work on the quarterback slide," Bielema said, smiling.

Don't bother. This is Wisconsin football, and Wisconsin football doesn't do the quarterback slide. Wisconsin football is a mangling machine on all sides of the ball. One Michigan kickoff return ended with a fumble when Jeremy Gallon was hit so hard he didn't return. On offense, Wisconsin smashed Michigan for 357 of its 558 total yards on the ground. The defense was led by 6-6, 292-pound end J.J. Watt, who was athletic enough to bat a Robinson pass into the air and run it down for the interception -- and bruising enough to knock out Michigan running back Vincent Smith with a knee to the helmet. After that play Smith rose slowly, ran drunkenly to midfield, then collapsed.

And the coaching staff is just as tough. Bielema is the guy who called for a two-point conversion earlier this season against Minnesota when the Badgers led 41-16 midway through the fourth quarter. While he said he was simply following the PAT conversion chart that so many coaches use, I suspect Bielema was getting even with Minnesota for something one of its players or coaches had done, real or imagined, to tick him off.

He's a brutal guy, Bret Bielema. Make no mistake -- I like it. And I don't think he's a poor sportsman, either. That 70-3 blowout earlier this season of Austin Peay? The Badgers had 49 points at halftime, then scored 14 points in the third quarter and seven in the fourth. That's not running up the score; that's calling off the dogs. And the 83-20 rout of Indiana last week? Bielema pulled his starting quarterback, Tolzien, in the third quarter. Nothing to see there, folks.

But get a load of this: After the game Saturday, Bielema said his offensive line -- which grinds opposing defenses into dust by pulling its guards and ramming them into linebackers downfield -- was prevented from pulling by Michigan. He used the word "tactics," which is coaching code for "holding," to describe what Michigan's defensive line was doing.

"But we rectified the situation," Bielema said.

When asked how, Bielema recalled a chop-block penalty that went against his team -- and took a touchdown off the scoreboard -- in the second quarter. Wisconsin lost seven points but delivered a message.

The "tactics" by Michigan stopped.

This is a brutal team, Wisconsin.

Cougar/Frog

I know Badger fans will flood SoCal just like in previous Rose Bowls in the 90s. There will be plenty of purple there as well from Frog Nation.

Just a question though --- I watched the Wisconsin-San Jose State game and was very unimpressed. In past years, I have watched Wisconsin struggle with weak OOC competition. And we have seen the Badgers through up huge points on bad teams of the Big Ten. Which is the real Wisconsin team? The one who could barely beat a bad Arizona State team and very bad San Jose State team and lost to Michigan State? Or is the one dropping 70 points or more on conference foes in an attempt to win voters to get the Rose Bowl?

The Dude

I know Badger fans will flood SoCal just like in previous Rose Bowls in the 90s. There will be plenty of purple there as well from Frog Nation.

Just a question though --- I watched the Wisconsin-San Jose State game and was very unimpressed. In past years, I have watched Wisconsin struggle with weak OOC competition. And we have seen the Badgers through up huge points on bad teams of the Big Ten. Which is the real Wisconsin team? The one who could barely beat a bad Arizona State team and very bad San Jose State team and lost to Michigan State? Or is the one dropping 70 points or more on conference foes in an attempt to win voters to get the Rose Bowl?

All I can say to that is.......A mark of a good well coached team is that it tends to get better and better as the season progresses. To finish stronger than you start. They also werent DROPPING 70 like you say either. Oh, they scored 70 or more, but the fashion they did it in was impressive to say the least. Some of those games were well over at the half, scrubs brought in. In fact in the Michigan game the Badgers passed the ball ZERO times in the second half, and still kept scoring. This last weekend they passed it ONCE in the second half, and still kept scoring. Really incredible to watch, they did almost everything they could NOT to score, ...in the end they couldnt even stop THEMSELVES from scoring.....LOL The only way they would have stopped from scoring the last few games was to start taking a knee to begin the second half. Seriously. They did everything they could do NOT to run it up.

The Dude

Watch out for this cat too. 6-6 290 pound defensive end JJ WATT. A real beast. Some draft pubs list him as a 1st rounder if he comes out early, hope he doesnt as I wanna see him terrorizing offenses for another year. Big time playmaker that comes up big in the biggest games. DESTROYED the Miami hurricanes last year in their bowl matchup. Bull strong yet highly mobile.

Frogs1983

Watch out for this cat too. 6-6 290 pound defensive end JJ WATT. A real beast. Some draft pubs list him as a 1st rounder if he comes out early, hope he doesnt as I wanna see him terrorizing offenses for another year. Big time playmaker that comes up big in the biggest games. DESTROYED the Miami hurricanes last year in their bowl matchup. Bull strong yet highly mobile.

Should be a great game.Thanks for the insight.Wisconsin sounds like a very physical team.TCU plays a little physical ball as well from time to time.Looking forward to a real battle it sounds like.

Dogfrog

Wow. I just hope our guys don't get hurt.

The Dude

Should be a great game.Thanks for the insight.Wisconsin sounds like a very physical team.TCU plays a little physical ball as well from time to time.Looking forward to a real battle it sounds like.

Yep....From what I have read TCU is super physical also. Should be a real bloodbath of a game. LOVE IT!....Its gonna be one of those games that whoever wins, is gonna KNOW they were in a real street fight.

HFrog1999

Yep....From what I have read TCU is super physical also. Should be a real bloodbath of a game. LOVE IT!....Its gonna be one of those games that whoever wins, is gonna KNOW they were in a real street fight.

I'm looking forward to a great game. We'll appreciate the opportunity to play against a fantastic program.

The Dude

I'm looking forward to a great game. We'll appreciate the opportunity to play against a fantastic program.

I feel the same way. Sick of playing pac 10 schools in the rose bowl. TCU offers us a challenge from someone other than the pac 10. Seems to me you guys have a similar blood and guts approach to the game like we do. Lets just hope for a good hard fought injury free game.

FROGDADDY

It's gonna be a different kind of physical than the Badgers have, not better or worse, just different. You'd have to have watched us play to really grasp what I mean.

The Dude

In a way though,.....we may be getting ahead of ourselves here. If South Carolina finds a way to beat Auburn, I would think you guys SHOULD be playing in the national championship game.

The Dude

It's gonna be a different kind of physical than the Badgers have, not better or worse, just different. You'd have to have watched us play to really grasp what I mean.

I hear ya,....pretty sure what you guys are gonna try, and I dont blame you at all,....is to try and slice your backers, and maybe even a safety quickly thru the holes before our O line can adjust. Try and outquick them, beat them to the spot. Least thats what I would try if I were TCU,....Good tactic and CAN be very effective. We'll be ready for it though.....LOL

FROGDADDY

Thanx for the welcome Turk! Yeah.....that O line REALLY is a bunch of monsters. What REALLY separates them from some of our prior O lines is how athletic they are for men their size. They have good wheels to get and and pull, they average around 6-6 325 but can REALLY run.

I've watched your guys and they're damn good, the OSU game was impressive to say the least. That being said our line averages around 6'4 320 and has a couple NFL guys as well so it's not like we're gonna be going against size that we've never seen before.

FROGDADDY

I hear ya,....pretty sure what you guys are gonna try, and I dont blame you at all,....is to try and slice your backers, and maybe even a safety quickly thru the holes before our O line can adjust. Try and outquick them, beat them to the spot. Least thats what I would try if I were TCU,....Good tactic and CAN be very effective. We'll be ready for it though.....LOL

The one thing we Frog fans have to come to expect is that when you give Gary Patterson and Dick Bumpas plenty of time to prepare for an offense it's usually a long day for the other team (see what we did to Boise's offense the last two years as an example). We almost never come up against an offensive style like yours though, so I'll be interested to see how we attack it and if the results will be what we're used to. I'm guessing that the two sides will meet somewhere in the middle of what they're used to.

The single biggest key to the game in my opinion is the health of our DT's. We've been missing one for the second half of the year and the other went down on Saturday.