• The KillerFrogs

Long time Badger fan

The Dude

Whisky Dick,

Welcome. Please stick around. You're the kind of fan I appreciate exchanging an occasional jab with. It should be fun over the next month.

Your team is good. Quite honestly, I was hoping tOSU jumped you. I hope this doesn't offend you, but they're a bigger national brand and it would have brought us more credibility should we find a way to win the game. But the real reason I wanted tOSU is because your running game is nasty and our interior DL is dinged up. You guys don't get the respect you deserve, which I'm sure is why a lot of your fans are upset that they're "stuck playing a non-AQ team." Let me just tell you that this non-AQ team is as big, fast, and talented as any BCS conference team.

I hope all this talk isn't for nothing... My biggest concern is rule 5D, and us being moved to the Fiesta Bowl to play tOSU, OU/Nebraska, or God forbid the Big East champ. Not that tOSU would be all that bad! I just want to watch my Frogs in the Rose Bowl. It gives me chills just thinking about it.

Will do Vlade! AND THANKYOU!Were gonna have alot of fun leading up to the game. Good spirted debate and maybe even some x's and O's. Maybe even a few well intended jabs...LOL

shetownbucky

My biggest concern is rule 5D, and us being moved to the Fiesta Bowl to play tOSU, OU/Nebraska, or God forbid the Big East champ. Not that tOSU would be all that bad! I just want to watch my Frogs in the Rose Bowl. It gives me chills just thinking about it.

I can't imagine them pulling this just due to the public relations nightmare caused by it. That and Stanford won't travel well, regardless if they are at the Rose or the Orange so it isn't justified that way.

Will do Vlade! AND THANKYOU!Were gonna have alot of fun leading up to the game. Good spirted debate and maybe even some x's and O's. Maybe even a few well intended jabs...LOL

Two things I forgot.... 1. Great name. 2. No Cowboys talk, please? I'm a fan of them, but man, they're hardly worth talking about when we have our teams going to the Rose Bowl!

Houston Frog

Personally, I think Wisconsin is the type of team we match up with perfectly. The kind of team that beats us is the type of team with NFL quality WRs and a QB who is super-accurate and can take advantage of every opportunity we give him.

I know Wisconsin is on a different level when it comes to their ability to run the ball than probably anyone we have faced, but a team that runs straight at us doesn't really scare me. Sure, they'll break a couple long runs here and there, but I don't think anyone can run it down our throats all day (as long as we're healthy).

I'm by no means guaranteeing a victory or anything, I think it will be a tough game for both sides and pretty evenly matched..... just saying that this style of offense isn't the type of offense that worries me.

Houston Frog

Who says we're playing away from home. In 1993 -- our first Rose Bowl year in about 30 years -- we turned out 60K plus fans at the game -- turning the Rose Bowl into Camp Randall West. In this 17 year run since 93, we're 10-5 in Bowls and 3-0 in the Rose Bowl. We haven't played in a Rose Bowl since 2000. TCU can certainly win the game but it won't be because the Badgers take TCU lightly. TCU fans should not lose sight of the fact that the Badgers are not Big 10 royalty. We don't get top 25 recruiting classes -- not sure we've ever had one. The state produces a very few number of Divsion 1 prospects. Success comes at out-working and out desiring the guys on the other side of the field. This team has great leadership. They'll be ready to play.

Doug W
Besides the fact that they're a big state school and we're a small private school, these two programs really seem very very similar. There are just a ton of parallels about how they play and the mentality of the coaches and program, etc....

I've always respected Wisconsin and thought they were perennially underrated. I think they have gotten more respect the last couple of years (kind of like TCU), but still carry that chip on their shoulder and feel like they are always trying to prove themselves to the nation.

An-Cap Frog

How deeps if your DL? If its not deep where you can rotate 7-8 guys in throughout the game -- that could really hurt you in the 4th quarter.

I don't know that having extra time will really make that much of a difference in playing the Badgers. We don't make any secrets about what we're going to try to do in a game. You can either hold up at that point of attack -- or you can't. Now, this is not to say that the Badgers play a simple offensive scheme -- a mistake some people make who do not watch us play a lot. The Badgers run a pro style offense with an OC trained in the NFL. A good point of refernce for how we want to play is akin to those great Cowboy teams with Aikman and Smith. We'll pound the ball but if you commit too many to stop the run, we'll kill you with play action. The TE is among the best in the country and has the speed to get down the seams.

If you shut this offense down, your defense would have to go down as one of the best defensive units ever assembled. We'll have to score 27+ pts to win IMO because our defense is not nearly on the same level. We have one top 10 pick in Watt but he's the only true difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. The rest of the guys are good smart football players.

Doug W

Patterson likes to play all of his D-lineman. So you will see 8-9 in rotation. There really isn't much of a drop off between the 1st and 2nd D-line. The NT is going to always be about 300 lbs and clog the middle. The starting DT is 300 but the 2nd and 3rd teamers are in the 270 range. The ends are going to be in the 250 to 275 range and are built on speed. Most of these guys were former Texas RBs that were too big for their position. Patterson takes 6-1 to 6-4 RBs with large frames and gets them in the weight room for the firt couple of years to add bulk and then lets them loose on opposing RBs and QBs. They also drop into converage from time to time. Screen passes do not work against this crew as these guys were all former RBs so they know what to look for because they all learned how to execute a RB screen in high school.

Run support will come from the LBs and the safeties. The LBs are NFL caliber, the last three are in the NFL and the safeties are hybrid LBs with slightly more speed. Think Brian Urlacher...he was a run-stopping safety for Patterson at New Mexico.

The corners are lock down types that play man-to-man on an island, while the 3 safeties pick-up the slots and deliver hard hits (see ex-Marvin White).

Between the pass rush and the DB play, that is how TCU leads the nation in pass efficiency defense.

An-Cap Frog

I hope all this talk isn't for nothing... My biggest concern is rule 5D, and us being moved to the Fiesta Bowl to play tOSU, OU/Nebraska, or God forbid the Big East champ. Not that tOSU would be all that bad! I just want to watch my Frogs in the Rose Bowl. It gives me chills just thinking about it.

Without a doubt...Wisco and Stanford are the hottest teams right now...would that be a great match-up or what? And the Rose is the best spot for Stanford if a bowl needs to rely on them to sell the stadium.

Not sure we need to worry though. If they pit LSU against Stanford in the Sugar than it won't matter. LSU would sell out the Sugar if they were playing Grambling...

Houston Frog

I'm going laugh at all of y'all when we go to the National Championship

Why would you laugh at us?

We all want the same thing and realize there is a good chance that it happens. Just because we are discussing another (distinct) possiblity, doesn't mean we don't want the Frogs in the title game or don't think we have a chance.

Hell, I already have a flight booked to PHX, bought it 2 days after we beat Utah.

shetownbucky

Personally, I think Wisconsin is the type of team we match up with perfectly. The kind of team that beats us is the type of team with NFL quality WRs and a QB who is super-accurate and can take advantage of every opportunity we give him.

Wisconsin isn't a one-trick pony. We have the most accurate passer in Big Ten history (single season) and he has a higher QB rating than Andy Dalton. Our starting tight end is an H-back hybrid that should go in the first day of the draft and one of our receivers has been slowed by early season injuries stats-wise but could be a first day selection next year. I honestly think this Badger team could put up Texas Tech/video game stats passing if they were to run that type of offense. But with a stable of 3 backs all capable of starting on all the other Big 10 teams, we pound the ball on the ground. This is the 6th straight year the offense has had over 2,000 yards passing and 2,000 yards rushing.

Houston Frog

Can someone explain Rule 5D to me? I've seen it referenced roughly 83 times in the past 24 hours, but never seen anyone explain what it is.

Thanks

An-Cap Frog

Besides the fact that they're a big state school and we're a small private school, these two programs really seem very very similar. There are just a ton of parallels about how they play and the mentality of the coaches and program, etc....

I've always respected Wisconsin and thought they were perennially underrated. I think they have gotten more respect the last couple of years (kind of like TCU), but still carry that chip on their shoulder and feel like they are always trying to prove themselves to the nation.

You are correct. Both teams play run first and are physical at the point of attack. The only difference is that TCU is in purple and Wisco is in red.

Houston Frog

Wisconsin isn't a one-trick pony. We have the most accurate passer in Big Ten history (single season) and he has a higher QB rating than Andy Dalton. Our starting tight end is an H-back hybrid that should go in the first day of the draft and one of our receivers has been slowed by early season injuries stats-wise but could be a first day selection next year. I honestly think this Badger team could put up Texas Tech/video game stats passing if they were to run that type of offense. But with a stable of 3 backs all capable of starting on all the other Big 10 teams, we pound the ball on the ground. This is the 6th straight year the offense has had over 2,000 yards passing and 2,000 yards rushing.

I wasn't trying to imply Wisconsin is a one-trick pony, just saying that the strength of your offense isn't what generally exposes our defense, that's all. If I had to pick a type of team that we could match up against, a run-first team is the kind that I would pick.

An-Cap Frog

I don't think that there is much difference between QBs...except that Dalton is a way better runner, has a higher TDpct and more career wins.
Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Patt Pcomp Comppct Int Intpct Pyds Ydspatt TDs TDpct Rating
4 Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin QB SR 12 245 182 74.29 6 2.45 2300 9.39 16 6.53 169.80
5 Andy Dalton, TCU QB SR 12 293 194 66.21 6 2.05 2638 9.00 26 8.87 167.03

shetownbucky

I wasn't trying to imply Wisconsin is a one-trick pony, just saying that the strength of your offense isn't what generally exposes our defense, that's all. If I had to pick a type of team that we could match up against, a run-first team is the kind that I would pick.

I didn't think you were, I was just stating that while it isn't the stronger suit of the offense, we are capable of beating teams (maybe not one of TCU's caliber) by exclusively throwing the ball.

An-Cap Frog

And what does expose our defense...

I think it is low percentage deep play action...once in a blue moon you will connect for 50 yards and a TD...