• The KillerFrogs

Lions Take a Bite Out of Dalton

tcumaniac

DETROIT — The Bengals' new era got off to a gritty start Friday night here at Ford Field during their preseason opener when the Lions bolted to 21-3 lead in the game's first 18 minutes on their way to a 34-3 victory.
By the time Andy Dalton dropped back to throw his first NFL pass, the Bengals trailed, 14-0. And it got picked off by cornerback Chris Houston when Dalton tried to hit his fellow rookie racing one-on-on down the right sideline. But Dalton got hit as he threw it with penetration over right guard and the ball hung inside for Houston's easy pick running next to A.J. Green.

It got a little better but Dalton couldn’t get his first team into the end zone against Detroit's first and second defense and left with two minutes left in the first half andMike Nugent lining up for a 42-yard field goal.

This is the kind of night it was: Nugent made it, but it was ruled no play because the clock had ticked down to the two-minute warning. Nugent, who hasn't missed a field goal during team drills at camp, then went wide right.

Dalton completed 11 of 15 passes for 69 yards and looked like he knew where he was going with the ball. But the Bengals let him get hit too much, particularly for a defense that wasn't blitzing. He got sacked once when left guardNate Livings got beat by Corey Williams and he got manhandled by the other tackle, Ndamukong Suh, after he hurried an incompletion. Suh was called for roughing the passer when Dalton's helmet came flying off, but the Bengals couldn't convert in the red zone.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lions-take-bite-out-of-Dalton-debut/906ec9e2-bf54-40a2-b3c6-bf9bcc2fa007

Froggle Rock

Sounds like Dalton's numbers could have been way better if his o-line was competent. I have a feeling that's going to be the story for most of the year.

TEUFELI

This sucks. Poor guy. I'm rooting for him obviously...but I feel like his career got screwed the second that cursed franchise drafted him. Dammit

roddog

Banned
his stats werent that bad for his first start, hell grow quick, smart kid, just hope he doesnt get killed his first year

DickBumpastache

The Lions are one of the dirtiest teams in the NFL. It all comes from the coach, Schwartz. Old-school guy who just doesn't seem to care about unnecessary roughness penalties. I think I counted four 15-yard flags...2 roughing the passer penalties.

Unfortunately for Andy, the Stillers and Ravens aren't going to play nice either. Probably going to be a loooooooooong season, and he could very well have a new HC next year.

Houston Frog

It's going to be brutal against those AFC North defenses. I hope they don't ruin him in his first year.

Obviously, this isn't an ideal situation to get drafted into, but getting "ruined" in your first year only happens to mentally-weak pusses like David Carr..... Dalton isn't mentally-weak

He's either got it or he doesn't. Personally, I think he's got it and will end up alright.

tcujsauce

He's got to continue to work on his deep throws. That interception he threw was ugly and way too easy.

Yeah, he should've threaded that needle and stepped into the pass to get everything on it... Guess it had nothing to do with Manbeast Suh about to maul him, huh?

HFrog1999

I thought Dalton looked pretty good. Detroit may have one of the best d-lines in Football. Dalton's throws were good and he didn't get rattled.

jake102

Yeah, he should've threaded that needle and stepped into the pass to get everything on it... Guess it had nothing to do with Manbeast Suh about to maul him, huh?

If you don't think Andy has the ability to make that throw off his back foot then you don't view him as highly as I do. That's a throw he needs to place much better.

tcujsauce

Yah, would love to see most people throw that deep ball to the outside shoulder with Suh hanging on you.

... Or any other NFL-caliber DT for that matter. Nevemind the fact that Suh could potentially end up being one of the most dominant DL's in league history when his career is all said and done.

For his first game, with two weeks to prepare, with a completely new offensive system for the whole team, with maybe the worst line in football... I thought the Rooster performed real well. It's gonna take some big brass ones for a rook QB to jump into that situation on that team in that division. This season will tell a lot about what he's made of, and judging by his collegiate career, kid is gonna be a star and Cincy will fall in love with him.

I just wish he could get out.

tcujsauce

If you don't think Andy has the ability to make that throw off his back foot then you don't view him as highly as I do. That's a throw he needs to place much better.

I've seen him make that throw, so I know he's got it in him. I'm also a realist, and I wouldn't expect any greenhorn QB to step right into that situation, first throw in the league, with a pro bowl caliber DL about to murder him, and make a perfect pass. Someone like Peyton? Yes, make the pass. Give AD time before jumping his nuts. He'll get there.

sandiegojack

before the draft, the Bengals were the team that I least hoped would draft AD. Crummy team, cold climate, organization has been the laughing stock for years, tough division, no veteran QB to mentor him.

hope the best for #14.

sdj