• The KillerFrogs

Larry Fedora to Texas football

David Beaty and now former North Carolina head coach Larry Fedora has officially accepted an analyst position on the Texas football staff.

I would like to see TCU make the same type of moves to bring experienced coaches to become analysts and help gameplan (help the O and D scheme for 2019) vs. UT and OU and the rest of the Big 12. This is a big hire for UT.

Froggish

Bama pioneered the Analyst culture..Fedora’s best days are far behind him but there is no doubt that programs are benefiting greatly from having analyst with pedigree on staff...

Come on....Is there a guy who could use help from an experienced play caller more than Cumbie?

asleep003

I would like to see TCU make the same type of moves to bring experienced coaches to become analysts and [B said:
help gameplan[/B] (help the O and D scheme for 2019) vs. UT and OU and the rest of the Big 12. This is a big hire for UT.

We need people of Fedora's caliber to assist one of the top D brains in the P5 .?. how about a quality WR's coach and a gym rat of a Special Teams analyst 1st....

Last edited:

We need people of Fedora's caliber to assist one of the top D brains in the P5 .?. how about a quality WR's coach and a gym rat of a Special Teams analyst 1st....

Well don't make dumb comments. TCU can hire analysts , they don't have spots for special teams or WR. And I'm not saying Fedora like person for D but a coach with experience who is a defensive coach , maybe a past head coach coming in and helping TCU. And TCU bringing in an experienced offensive coach to help Cumbie like Sonny Dykes did for a season. Our competition is bringing as many experts as possible in analyst positions , really good coaches that earned head coaching gigs to help them win the Big 12. They are looking for any type of advantage and so should TCU. All this talk about Fedora's record in thr ACC is irrelevant, he is a good experienced coach that is giving UT an extra advantage. I want to see TCU make some moves especially since they lost an offensive analyst in the off season. And I would like to see TCU bring in an experienced coach instead of giving the position to a Kenny Hill like kid who only knows what he has learned from TCU.

asleep003

Dumb.?. Of course GP can make space/spots for ST analyst and a real WR's coach. Very simple to do. Fine that Herman hired Fedora … doubt he'll be responsible for additional wins for the Whorns.

Last edited:

4th. down

OU and Texas putting a gap between themselves and the rest of the Big 12. OU has already done so by their on field success but Texas is not asleep. Last year, Herb Hand, then Beaty as a analyst and now Fedora. Will Texas get any bump from these analyst by on field results? Maybe, maybe not. Of course GP is all aware of what's transpiring in the Big 12 and he certainly doesn't need any help on the defensive side, but offense, we have to score to win games.

2015 Russell Athletic Bowl, Baylor whipped up on Fedora and NC setting a FBS rushing record (Baylor didn't have any QBs that could play), hint, hint, Sonny. Yes, IMO, we need a REAL offensive analyst like Dykes was, not Kenny though, but hope he sticks around in some capacity.

Limp Lizard

Come on....Is there a guy who could use help from an experienced play caller more than Cumbie?
Once again, play calling during the game is not the issue more than the preparation of the offense during the week. Great play calling cannot make up for mediocre execution as much as great execution makes up for mediocre play calling. Doubt Cumbie really called many fumble-the-ball plays last season, or many throw-an-interception plays during the Cheez-It Bowl. My concern is how well does he coach the QB and how well does he prepare the offense. The QB and the OL were the big problems last year, not play calling.

4th. down

Once again, play calling during the game is not the issue more than the preparation of the offense during the week. Great play calling cannot make up for mediocre execution as much as great execution makes up for mediocre play calling. Doubt Cumbie really called many fumble-the-ball plays last season, or many throw-an-interception plays during the Cheez-It Bowl. My concern is how well does he coach the QB and how well does he prepare the offense. The QB and the OL were the big problems last year, not play calling.

The offensive line was ok the last 3 games. Sonny knew what he had at QB and he also knew we could run the ball. Now I don't think Sonny is on par with Briles but Briles was in the same situation when they faced NC in the bowl game and set the rushing record. We would not have set any records against Cal but could have certainly scored more than 10 points. No, Sonny does not get a pass on that game.

netty2424

Well don't make dumb comments. TCU can hire analysts , they don't have spots for special teams or WR. And I'm not saying Fedora like person for D but a coach with experience who is a defensive coach , maybe a past head coach coming in and helping TCU. And TCU bringing in an experienced offensive coach to help Cumbie like Sonny Dykes did for a season. Our competition is bringing as many experts as possible in analyst positions , really good coaches that earned head coaching gigs to help them win the Big 12. They are looking for any type of advantage and so should TCU. All this talk about Fedora's record in thr ACC is irrelevant, he is a good experienced coach that is giving UT an extra advantage. I want to see TCU make some moves especially since they lost an offensive analyst in the off season. And I would like to see TCU bring in an experienced coach instead of giving the position to a Kenny Hill like kid who only knows what he has learned from TCU.
I agree with several points you made in teams adding analysts. I have no idea how much it really adds to a program. It would seem like there’s a point where there’s so many coaches and/or analysts, some of it just becomes noise as they can only listen to so much in a weeks game prep. At some point it would just seem like staff bloat. GP isn’t making significant changes to staff, but I wouldn’t mind him adding staff for recruiting purposes. I can’t imagine you could have too many boots on the ground in that aspect.

FWIW Kenny Hill is a designated student coach. He and Fedora would not be competing for the same job or at the same pay grade. I personally love that Kenny was/is still around the program. He’s a good kid and knows how to manage a game at the QB position.

Froggish

Why is one or the other..He was both a bad play caller last year and a poor coach during the week.

I agree with you he hasn’t prepared his team well at all...there were plenty of things that were terrible last year.

As for play calling, Cumbie was flat aweful last year. He reads the game extremely poorly. Situational calling was a real weakness. Proof is that in games where our injuries forced him to shrink his playbook down to 10-15 bread and butter plays we actually became more efficient. Were we explosive? No, but we were well more efficient.

Again trying to pin point just 1 thing Cumbie and his Offense was bad at is choosing the lesser of two evils

Froginbedford

I'm wearing my green fedora,
Fedora
Not Alice, not Annie, not Casey but Fedora
I usually come to town in a battered old hat of brown
But it got red/green when me and my queen go steppin' around.

She's Fussy about colors,
She's very I think,
But if she won't fix it,
Might even wear pink.

That's why I wear my green fedora.

Fedora.
Fedora is the girl I love

Written in 1935 by songwriters, Al Sherman, Al Lewis and Joseph Meyer for the short animated Warner Brothers film, “My Green Fedora.” Al Lewis later portrayed Grandpa in "The Munsters."