• The KillerFrogs

Larry Fedora to Texas football

Purp

Lots of strange comments in here and asleep is also posting. A few points...

1) As Netty pointed out, KH is not an offensive analyst, he's a GA. Those are totally different roles.
2) An analyst cannot help with play calling during games. Game planning prior to game day? Yes. Participating in coaching activities during the games? No.
3) I disagree and think GP could use an analyst on defense. He's clearly hasn't figured out how to slow down Lincoln Riley's offense so a helper for that purpose alone would be beneficial. I agree that I have doubts he'd want a defensive analyst and I'm not sure how much he'd listen to one if he had him.
4) Fedora to Texas doesn't cause any concern for me. If you watched the Coaches' Film Room with GP and Fedora at the same round table it was clear Fedora was out-classed by a mile.
5) Between injuries to key players, the OL taking half the season to gel, and a starting QB who seemingly created a fairly large rift in the offense/team I have a difficult time laying all of our struggles at Sonny's feet. He clearly could have done better, but I think people get carried away in assigning so much blame to him. This season will provide a much clearer picture regarding his competence in the position, but I think many here will be surprised.

Froggish

This season will provide a much clearer picture regarding his competence in the position, but I think many here will be surprised.

Cumbie will have essentially 10 returning starters at his disposal and the vast majority will all be seniors or upperclassmen...If he can’t get it done this year he deserves to be let go...Simple...This year is lining up to be a make it or break it year for him. He has nothing to hide behind.

4th. down

Cumbie will have essentially 10 returning starters at his disposal and the vast majority will all be seniors or upperclassmen...If he can’t get it done this year he deserves to be let go...Simple...This year is lining up to be a make it or break it year for him. He has nothing to hide behind.

Well, he does have 4 QBs to work with so there's that.

Chongo94

Today it appears that he MIGHT have 4 QBs to work with. We do not know how that number may be reduced by new injury, lingering injury, or get sucked up into that transfer portal and deposited in the SEC somewhere.

Does the transfer portal not have a set deadline?

Eight

Does the transfer portal not have a set deadline?

avengersgallery121.jpg

TooColdU

The offensive line was ok the last 3 games. Sonny knew what he had at QB and he also knew we could run the ball. Now I don't think Sonny is on par with Briles but Briles was in the same situation when they faced NC in the bowl game and set the rushing record. We would not have set any records against Cal but could have certainly scored more than 10 points. No, Sonny does not get a pass on that game.

Muehlstein threw 20 attempts that game, 10 of them were in the 1st quarter. He threw his 4th INT on his 16th pass attempt on the opening drive of the 3rd quarter. After that, Muehlstein only threw the ball 4 times the rest of the game.

Don’t know what Cumbie saw going into the game but I’m glad he finally stopped calling passing plays. I just wish he had adjusted sooner. Sewo got 18 carries for 107 yards and a touchdown after that.

4th. down

Muehlstein threw 20 attempts that game, 10 of them were in the 1st quarter. He threw his 4th INT on his 16th pass attempt on the opening drive of the 3rd quarter. After that, Muehlstein only threw the ball 4 times the rest of the game.

Don’t know what Cumbie saw going into the game but I’m glad he finally stopped calling passing plays. I just wish he had adjusted sooner. Sewo got 18 carries for 107 yards and a touchdown after that.

Yeah, my point Cold is that Sonny knew Mule well (5 yrs.) and also knew he couldn't pass. He had film of our last 2 games and obviously needed to plan around a ball control running game for the bowl and let GP's defense win the game for us. Did he do this, not even close, we come out throwing the ball.

Leach said recently and Troy Aikman conferred, that you cannot teach accuracy in the passing game. You either have it or you don't and Sonny didn't know this about Mule?

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yeah, my point Cold is that Sonny knew Mule well (5 yrs.) and also knew he couldn't pass. He had film of our last 2 games and obviously needed to plan around a ball control running game for the bowl and let GP's defense win the game for us. Did he do this, not even close, we come out throwing the ball.

Leach said recently and Troy Aikman conferred, that you cannot teach accuracy in the passing game. You either have it or you don't and Sonny didn't know this about Mule?

If that is the case, then why was The Mule recruited in the first place? Get a coveted 3-Star rating? Couldn't have been based solely on his dashing good looks...

You are, of course, correct about the mysterious foundations of the Game Plan. Based on what we had been able to establish in the previous two games, a ball-control, run-first offense was the most likely path. Such a plan would play to our strengths. That our plan would be a complete opposite of this was, odd. Especially so, as we evidently could not execute a damned bit of it, and the Cal defense wasn't fooled for a second. I have no idea what was seen in practice in the weeks before the game to reinforce the strategy, but it couldn't have looked anything like what we saw after kickoff...

tetonfrog

3) I disagree and think GP could use an analyst on defense. He's clearly hasn't figured out how to slow down Lincoln Riley's offense so a helper for that purpose alone would be beneficial. I agree that I have doubts he'd want a defensive analyst and I'm not sure how much he'd listen to one if he had him.

I am not sure anyone has figured out how to stop Riley's offense. Even Saban struggled against the Boomers. Maybe Army had it right..........just keep it off the field all game.

4th. down

If that is the case, then why was The Mule recruited in the first place? Get a coveted 3-Star rating? Couldn't have been based solely on his dashing good looks...

You are, of course, correct about the mysterious foundations of the Game Plan. Based on what we had been able to establish in the previous two games, a ball-control, run-first offense was the most likely path. Such a plan would play to our strengths. That our plan would be a complete opposite of this was, odd. Especially so, as we evidently could not execute a damned bit of it, and the Cal defense wasn't fooled for a second. I have no idea what was seen in practice in the weeks before the game to reinforce the strategy, but it couldn't have looked anything like what we saw after kickoff...

Brewing, he was recruited in the first place the same reason Wooten, Aune, Gilbert, Allen, and Sawyer were - just simply a mistake or mistakes.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Brewing, he was recruited in the first place the same reason Wooten, Aune, Gilbert, Allen, and Sawyer were - just simply a mistake or mistakes.
I am forever mystified by this. How can a kid be successful at the H.S. level, so much so that he stands out as a prospect and is actively recruited by multiple programs, but collapse upon reaching the College level? I could understand if it was just one scout that took a flyer, but when it is several?

Eh. There's simply so many variables that go into it that there's no understanding. Plenty of 5 star kids flame out, and plenty of no star kids wind up in the NFL. Good thing there's beer...

asleep003

Cal finished the year 15th in total defense and 2nd in INTS... So those factors should have been taken into consideration during 1 month planning prior to game. At least he finally adjusted or was told to. Possibly he learned from this experience.

4th. down

Cal finished the year 15th in total defense and 2nd in INTS... So those factors should have been taken into consideration during 1 month planning prior to game. At least he finally adjusted or was told to. Possibly he learned from this experience.

From Wikipedia, "the highest paid offensive coordinator in the country." Supposedly CDC gave him this raise to kill the Texas offer. Sonny moves into his 6th. season now, needs to be productive and if Justin is good to go come Sept., we should have a productive season.

asleep003

From Wikipedia, "the highest paid offensive coordinator in the country." Supposedly CDC gave him this raise to kill the Texas offer. Sonny moves into his 6th. season now, needs to be productive and if Justin is good to go come Sept., we should have a productive season.

If he can beat out Collins. Should be a great competition ...

4th. down

If he can beat out Collins. Should be a great competition ...

Since Collins is not going thru spring ball and Justin is, Collins will be behind come our 1st. game. i see it as Justin, Alex, and Collins with Max possibly playing in up to 4 games and maintaining his RS. Since Justin probably will not be able to run much, expect Alex to handle those packages - QB options, draws, goal line runs like he did at KSt., etc.