• The KillerFrogs

Kent Waldrep Passed Away This Afternoon

LisaLT

Bittersweet.

I wonder if TCU did anything to help this young man financially after the lawsuit. What responsibility does a university have to an athlete who is paralyzed while competing in a sport representing the university. In today’s NIL world, this situation would likely have a different outcome.

I was not familiar with Mr. Waldrep’s story. Thanks for posting this.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I wonder if TCU did anything to help this young man financially after the lawsuit. What responsibility does a university have to an athlete who is paralyzed while competing in a sport representing the university. In today’s NIL world, this situation would likely have a different outcome.

a similar story:

East Coast

Tier 1

If I remember correctly, Alabama and Coach Bryant treated Kent far better than TCU, which is why he sued. I can't recall whether it was TCU's or the NCAA attorneys that didn't want TCU to admit any liability. Eventually TCU and Kent came to a somewhat uneasy peace, but the relationship was never the same.

LisaLT

I was a freshman at TCU when he was paralyzed. Needless to say, the entire campus was deeply affected. Kent has done a lot to promote spinal cord research. May he RIP.
He did lead a very productive life in spite of his injury, from what I’ve read. I can only imagine the sorrow students must have felt at this time. It’s such a tragic situation.

Virginia Frog

The injury proceeded my time at TCU by a couple years but Kent's story was well known by everyone on campus even a newbe. It seemed to me that the injury cast a pall over the Frog program for many years afterwards.

He should be respected for continuing-on and showing us all that he was a champion. I'm so sorry to learn of his loss.

Last edited:

Paint It Purple

The injury proceeded my time at TCU by a couple years but Kent's story was well known by everyone on campus even a newbe. It seemed to me that the injury cast a pall over the Frog program for many years to afterwards.

He should be respected for continuing-on and showing us all that he was a champion. I'm so sorry to learn of his loss.

(In those days TCU was a dormat/bodybag and that day in Birmingham playing an opponent that was overwhelmingly superior was a sell out by the Athletic Administration for cash. I realize Kent's injury was somewhat freak but maybe TCU should have been playing Ole Miss, Vandy or similar opponent - less $ but a chance to get the W. With a longer view, more Ws - in Shoffner's & Frank W's time - would maybe have brought more money long-term than buy selling out to Alabama, Tennessee, Sou. Cal and others.)
No offense folks, really. But, celebrate a great man's life right now.

Frog79

So sad. I was a freshman living in Milton Daniel a few doors down from him when it happened. I didn't know him personally since I played a different sport but it affected me deeply. We all thought we were bulletproof back then and this shattered that illusion for me.

ECoastFrog

Anyone know how Matt is doing now?
Coincidentally, I asked about Matt at a party in November. This party included teachers from Mayde Creek High School (Matt's alma mater), who would have been teaching during Matt's high school days. Unfortunately, no one had any info. I would love to know how he's doing.

ECoastFrog

I believe I have found Matt Moore on Facebook. I can see he is friends with other Mayde Creek HS students that would be in his age group. There is one photo with a TCU football in his child's lap. It looks like he's doing well. (Matt is a MCHS alum and I am a former teacher at MCHS, so I did a little sleuthing to find him.)