• The KillerFrogs

Just passed by the Bluu and there is a bus and trailer parked out front

TCUdirtbag

Presupposing that someone's "experiences" are somehow shared, similar or dissimilar or even unique simply because of skin color or gender is the best evidence presented so far as to bias. Congrats.

My rather innocuous point that visible race/gender/ability traits affect someone's experience in our society is supported by volumes and volumes and volumes of, quite frankly undisputed, research. Any claim that my point "presupposes" anything is supported by nothing other than willful ignorance.

Pharm Frog

My point is supported by volumes and volumes and volumes of, quite frankly undisputed, research. Your claim that I am "presupposing" anything is supported by nothing other than willful ignorance. Congrats.

Sorry you were triggered.

The last cry of the cratered argument -- "undisputed research". As if anything of the sort exists. The next line should of course be - "settled science". As for presupposition -- you nor anyone else will ever get me to yield to a notion that race, gender (chromosomal or chosen), creed or lack thereof is in whole or in part determinative of anything positive, negative, or neutral in one's life.

And with that obviously not undisputed belief in place, I do not feel coerced into making assumptions about what it may or may not mean to "grow up white" or "grow up Filipino" or "grow up with a different first language" or "grow up black" or "grow up female" or "grow up "Chinese-American" or "grow up without a present father-figure" or "grow up in poverty" or "grow up in-and-out of foster homes" or "grow up Choctaw" or "grow up Catholic" or anything else. And every one of these situations are on my current team among a myriad of other things I'm sure. And what I continually find is that they are all possessive of ambition, competencies, and talent that are more similar than dissimilar. And I would hire all but one of them again if given the chance and it would have nothing to do with anything other than their talents, capabilities, decision-making, and performance. If that is ignorance, I gladly accept the label. And that's about the only "label" I'll accept unlike those who feel compelled to organize humanity by labels and hyphens and acronyms because these say nothing to me about one's character nor abilities.

Pharm Frog

@Todd D.

Here's one such from Pyschology Today and one of the most prominent implicit bias researchers in the field: Mahzarin Banaji

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/.../mandatory-implicit-bias-training-is-bad-idea

Despite these and other things about which we disagree, the most interesting, to me, is that even Dr. Banaji, one of the country’s foremost proponents of the concept of implicit bias, comes out here against mandatory implicit bias training. I certainly agree with her on that score.

What appears next is from her.

Mahzarin Banaji:

Yes Lee, you can post it.

In all the verbiage, I hope the two points don’t get lost.

1. Psychology and sociology data suggest that mandatory training is not as good as voluntary training. Mandatory training has the potential for backlash.

2. IAT scores are best considered as medical data or votes. A person may share them, but should not be expected or asked to share them with others at this point.

All the best, mrb

TCUdirtbag

The last cry of the cratered argument -- "undisputed research". As if anything of the sort exists. The next line should of course be - "settled science". As for presupposition -- you nor anyone else will ever get me to yield to a notion that race, gender (chromosomal or chosen), creed or lack thereof is in whole or in part determinative of anything positive, negative, or neutral in one's life.

And with that obviously not undisputed belief in place, I do not feel coerced into making assumptions about what it may or may not mean to "grow up white" or "grow up Filipino" or "grow up with a different first language" or "grow up black" or "grow up female" or "grow up "Chinese-American" or "grow up without a present father-figure" or "grow up in poverty" or "grow up in-and-out of foster homes" or "grow up Choctaw" or "grow up Catholic" or anything else. And every one of these situations are on my current team among a myriad of other things I'm sure. And what I continually find is that they are all possessive of ambition, competencies, and talent that are more similar than dissimilar. And I would hire all but one of them again if given the chance and it would have nothing to do with anything other than their talents, capabilities, decision-making, and performance. If that is ignorance, I gladly accept the label. And that's about the only "label" I'll accept unlike those who feel compelled to organize humanity by labels and hyphens and acronyms because these say nothing to me about one's character nor abilities.

Never argued labels say anything about character or abilities, and any implication I did is a gross misrepresentation of what I said. IMO, it says a lot about your character that you flatly deny the experiences of being black, Hispanic, female, disabled, etc. in this society. Being “colorblind” etc. is not enlightened. It’s dehumanizing.

No one person attaches labels to anyone. Society on the other hand has. Very rich of you to bash labels when your identity is wholly majoritized and you have no minority labels attached to your own identity.

Last edited:

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
0ACAE770-2FA9-4FB3-A13E-34664C7B48B1.gif

Pharm Frog

IMO, it says a lot about your character that you flatly deny the experiences of being black, Hispanic, female, disabled, etc. in this society. Being “colorblind” etc. is not enlightened. It’s dehumanizing.

No one person attaches labels to anyone. Society on the other hand has. Very rich of you to bash labels when your identity is wholly majoritized and you have no minority labels attached to your own identity.

You have no idea how many “minority” or protected class flags I can raise if I chose to but the answer is not zero according to the last HR form I had to complete. But that you would assume that you know this says a lot about your implicit bias. But in this you are correct — I do not attach minority or majority or plurality labels to my identity or destiny. And since this has become a dialogue I’ll now turn my attention to the Frogs kicking some Okie Lite ass.

Moose Stuff

Love threads like this solely because I could win a [ Finebaum ] load of money if you could bet on which posters would be participating in the discussion and which side of the discussion they would be on.

HFrog1999

Never argued labels say anything about character or abilities, and any implication I did is a gross misrepresentation of what I said. IMO, it says a lot about your character that you flatly deny the experiences of being black, Hispanic, female, disabled, etc. in this society. Being “colorblind” etc. is not enlightened. It’s dehumanizing.

tenor.gif

LawFrog504

If you want a laugh, take a look at the recent video of Brian Selter and some other CNN lady crucifying fox news for "not making a big enough deal about the Mueller report."

Frog-in-law1995

I hope someone in the previous 9 pages of this thread I’m not going to read has already questioned the validity of any lecture related to the human psyche given by someone in an organization that doesn’t understand the difference between “unconscious” and “subconscious.”

Last edited:

Mean Purple

What on this overly triggered earth brought me to read this entire thread. This has been like watching the movie Out of Africa, except you don't get the justice of seeing Redford's character die.