• The KillerFrogs

Just passed by the Bluu and there is a bus and trailer parked out front

Eight

Wouldn't be nice if the only box to check was "person"?

unfortunately, when it comes to underwriting certain insurance and risk management products the box does matter

guess we could rate everyone the same effectively treating everyone as someone buying guaranteed issue life insurance, but most people complain about the cost of their coverage as it is so the boxes will remain in some aspects of life and business

TX_Krötenechse

the issue of diversity is closed tied to the issue of unconscious biases. Especially among ~certain demographics~ women or people of color may be unconsciously held to different standards. By forcing yourself to confront those biases with an idea towards diversity, you can make strides. That doesn’t mean to hire a less-qualified person of color over a better-qualified white people - it just means that you need to examine your own biases and make the decision based on fact alone.

Billy Clyde

Not sure how this statement applies to anything that might require a box to be checked. I cannot imagine how long the list of options would have to be to account for the totality of life experiences and the substances that makes one who they are.

^^^ X a million. I don't understand, and won't, and neither will you, because you can't accurately quantify, the difference of my life experiences growing up with parents who beat me for sport and made daily life at home a traumatic experience, vs. a person who grew up with a lower bottom line on their tax return, and who happens to have darker skin. I can't respect you placing your suck ahead of mine, just because it's easier to score on a list of checkboxes.

Zubaz

^^^ X a million. I don't understand, and won't, and neither will you, because you can't accurately quantify, the difference of my life experiences growing up with parents who beat me for sport and made daily life at home a traumatic experience, vs. a person who grew up with a lower bottom line on their tax return, and who happens to have darker skin. I can't respect you placing your suck ahead of mine, just because it's easier to score on a list of checkboxes.
The fact that this sort of micro data is harder to quantify doesn't make more macro-oriented data useless.

Zubaz

It does make it equally hard to quantify, which calls into question its usefulness.
This is simply untrue. Trends can be discerned, individual exceptions to said trends don't negate that.

As stated before, it seems a bunch here simply dislike the idea of examining their unconscious biases, and are bending over backwards to pretend that unconscious bias doesn't even exist (including arguing against stuff that isn't being argued in the first place), despite plenty of research to suggest otherwise.

TCUdirtbag

Not sure how this statement applies to anything that might require a box to be checked. I cannot imagine how long the list of options would have to be to account for the totality of life experiences and the substances that makes one who they are.

Pretty simple. The “boxes” refer to race and gender, and in some hiring instances ability/disability. Denying the experiences unique to growing up black/brown/white or male/female or disabled is plain ignorance.

Pharm Frog

This is simply untrue. Trends can be discerned, individual exceptions to said trends don't negate that.

As stated before, it seems a bunch here simply dislike the idea of examining their unconscious biases, and are bending over backwards to pretend that unconscious bias doesn't even exist (including arguing against stuff that isn't being argued in the first place), despite plenty of research to suggest otherwise.

I haven't seen much evidence of anyone suggesting that implicit bias or preference does not exist. I have however seen much discussion about the relevance of "training" about implicit bias and note that even staunch advocates of unconscious bias education have serious doubts about the extent to which behavioral change can be expected to occur. In fact, some proponents of implicit bias education even go as far to suggest that mandatory training sessions can be counterproductive.

Pharm Frog

Pretty simple. The “boxes” refer to race and gender, and in some hiring instances ability/disability. Denying the experiences unique to growing up black/brown/white or male/female or disabled is plain ignorance.

Presupposing that someone's "experiences" are somehow shared, similar or dissimilar or even unique simply because of skin color or gender is the best evidence presented so far as to bias. Congrats.

asleep003

Well said dirt … there is a lot of denial by many that have grown up under an umbrella most of their lives.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I think the Big 12 should try to add Notre Dame and BYU. Both would be tremendous fits for the league and bring way more cheers than any other two schools. Unless we can get Alabama of course. I hear they are unhappy with their conference contract and overall league competitiveness. Big 12 needs to get this figured out before the GOR expires.

Also: Kenny Hill is the third best QB in TCU history. Fraternities are a good idea and teach young men important social and life skills. Black should become an official school color. GP is probably the best coach I’ve ever seen at handling the media.

Billy Clyde

The fact that this sort of micro data is harder to quantify doesn't make more macro-oriented data useless.

Dismissively arrogant, and perfectly illustrative of my point while managing to simultaneously miss the point. The problem isn't with data. The problem is with arrogant [ Arschloch]s who think that *their* preferred set of data is the only one that matters.

Zubaz

I haven't seen much evidence of anyone suggesting that implicit bias or preference does not exist.
Several posts, particularly in the first few pages, rejected the entire notion of unconscious bias. Others argued against the efficacy of the exhibit by rejecting strawmen of unconscious bias.
I have however seen much discussion about the relevance of "training" about implicit bias and note that even staunch advocates of unconscious bias education have serious doubts about the extent to which behavioral change can be expected to occur. In fact, some proponents of implicit bias education even go as far to suggest that mandatory training sessions can be counterproductive.
I'd be interested to see those claims from said staunch advocates.
Dismissively arrogant, and perfectly illustrative of my point while managing to simultaneously miss the point.
How was anything said "dismissive" or "arrogant"?
The problem isn't with data. The problem is with arrogant [ Arschloch]s who think that *their* preferred set of data is the only one that matters.
Nobody has said anything approaching this.