• The KillerFrogs

Just Got Back From Orientation

tcumaniac

Alright.... So God created this world and he knew there would be humans, etc etc. But... he threw in a little trick and said the only way you can come live with me is to believe in my son, Jesus Christ and the Bible, etc. Then he created a world where well over 50% of the people would never even have the opportunity to be a Christian and fulfill this requirement. Instead, they would all go to Hell and be burned eternally.

Sounds like this God guy blows. Guess I'll see Gandhi in Hell.

Is that all correct?
The sad thing is that most people think exactly like you do. They've grown up calling themselves a Christian because they went to church, or because their parents were "Christians", or because it was a cool label, yet they have absolutely no idea of what being in love with Jesus Christ really means.

Your previous comment is so misconstrued and out of context. This is something that would need to be discussed in person. Not argued through a message board. You act like God owes us the right to go to heaven. You sound like a longhorn. No human is entitled to anything. He doesn't owe us anything. We as humans have completely disobeyed Him and turned our backs on Him. We all deseve to go to hell. However, out of mercy and grace He gives humanity one way to get to escape the fate we deserve through Jesus, but you think it's not fair that those who dont believe Jesus have to go to hell?

jake102

You didn't even come close to answering my question about people without a chance to love Jesus or the question from the other person about the island or whatnot.

I really don't care. I don't live in your box thank God.

tcumaniac

You didn't even come close to answering my question about people without a chance to love Jesus or the question from the other person about the island or whatnot.

I really don't care. I don't live in your box thank God.
I'm at work on my phone right now, which I'm not even suppose to be doing so I can't really give elaborate responses. Its not an easy topic to answer. Ive had multiple discussions about this with very learned people of the bible and it not a simple answer. But I'll try to answer when I have more time. I did answer it to an extent though.

One way to get to heaven is already more than generous, when we don't deserve it in the first place. Not everyone has access to Jesus as easily as we do, but those who truly seek god will find him. Whether it's in the means of a missionary or something else

jake102

I'm at work on my phone right now, which I'm not even suppose to be doing so I can't really give elaborate responses. Its not an easy topic to answer. Ive had multiple discussions about this with very learned people of the bible and it not a simple answer. But I'll try to answer when I have more time. I did answer it to an extent though.

One way to get to heaven is already more than generous, when we don't deserve it in the first place. Not everyone has access to Jesus as easily as we do, but those who truly seek god will find him. Whether it's in the means of a missionary or something else

Well then put that phone up and get back to work. No need to elaborate on my questions. We are at different places, and there's no use going back and forth in a circle. The sooner football gets here the better. I'd much rather argue why Antoine Pick Six shouldn't be playing than talking religion.

tcumaniac

Well then put that phone up and get back to work. No need to elaborate on my questions. We are at different places, and there's no use going back and forth in a circle. The sooner football gets here the better. I'd much rather argue why Antoine Pick Six shouldn't be playing than talking religion.
You might change your mind if you were to die tomorrow in a car accident. . Who knows if either of us will still be alive come football season. It's dangerous to assume. Who knows what kind of freak accident could be waiting around the corner. It'd be a shame if someone on here was to die before they truly understood the love of Jesus.

But I will agree that this place is for football. It's not a very good place to have a religious conversation. I hope it at least got some people thinking or wanting to dig a little deeper at what they actually find to be truth.

YCBJ Frog

You might change your mind if you were to die tomorrow in a car accident. . Who knows if either of us will still be alive come football season. It's dangerous to assume. Who knows what kind of freak accident could be waiting around the corner. It'd be a shame if someone on here was to die before they truly understood the love of Jesus.

Dude...

tcumaniac

[quote name='you_can't_be_joking' timestamp='1308779274' post='857414']
Dude...
[/quote]
Harsh but true. No sense in sugar coating anything

YCBJ Frog

Harsh but true. No sense in sugar coating anything

True or not, that's just not something you say to someone.

I remember a long time ago, I was showed an illustration by a priest in a class at my high school, and I'm going to try to reproduce and explain it as best as I can.

.................................|.We Question
.................Our Faith.|.Because
..............We Believe.|.Faith
Without Questioning.|.Is False

Now, the two phrases on either side of the line down the middle were being said in text bubbles by two different people in this cartoon. In case despite my efforts it doesn't display correctly, one side says "Our Faith We Believe Without Questioning" and the other person on the other text bubble says "We Question Because Faith Is False". The two bubbles touched at their edge and when you read them together it said "We Question Our Faith Because We Believe Faith Without Questioning Is False".

It's something that has stuck with me for years, and something I wanted to share because I think that discerning why you believe what you believe is the most critical component of a person's Faith.

I've got to get back to the books, but I hope both of y'all give that some thought.

froginaustin

I have no doubt that you do indeed live in Austin. Longhorn syndrome is rubbing off on you. Mr Context, if you had read my post IN CONTEXT you would know that I was answering a question regarding where the bible talks about getting drunk. Not once have I said there is anything wrong with drinking alcohol if you're above age. If you're drinking to get drunk, then that's another story

:laugh:

You were asked about God's supposed preference that people be non-drinkers. See your post #100 on this thread.

You told your questioner that certain Bible verses supported that position, but they don't.

Don't take this seriously, kiddo. No one else does.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
[quote name='you_can't_be_joking' timestamp='1308780604' post='857425']
"We Question Our Faith Because We Believe Faith Without Questioning Is False".
[/quote]
Not gonna quote the whole thing but ycbj - nominate you for post of the month. This statement in my mind also encompasses people who at least care enough to research their faith even if it happens to be the same one they were raised in - which at least on the surface it seems that 'maniac has. The people who believe what they're told without any evaluation or question are the ones I'm worried about, in many faiths.

tcumaniac

:laugh:

You were asked about God's supposed preference that people be non-drinkers. See your post #100 on this thread.

You told your questioner that certain Bible verses supported that position, but they don't.

Don't take this seriously, kiddo. No one else does.
Nope. I was asked to support where the bible talked about drunkedness. You're apparently not very good at reading comprehension

illini_frog

1232252272003.jpg

YCBJ Frog

Not gonna quote the whole thing but ycbj - nominate you for post of the month. This statement in my mind also encompasses people who at least care enough to research their faith even if it happens to be the same one they were raised in - which at least on the surface it seems that 'maniac has. The people who believe what they're told without any evaluation or question are the ones I'm worried about, in many faiths.

I appreciate that, man. It's obviously something that made an impact on me--I totalled up the years and that was in my religion class the fall of 2000, and here we are 11 and a half years later and I still remembered it well enough to at least write out the entire phrase and figure out how it was spread over the two bubbles.

As far as who I was directing that towards, I was directing it towards anyone and everyone--it's just that Maniac and Jake were the only two in the conversation at that point. Anyone who has any modicum of faith, if they don't have some meaningful change in the way they think about things from year to year, they aren't discriminating their beliefs enough and allowing them to grow as their capability to understand grows. Personally, I feel like we have a lot more people in the western world that identify with either one half of that cartoon or with the other, and far too few that can put the puzzle together, and that's pretty sad.

(by the way, did anybody else notice what I had to do to get the spacing on that to work? White periods... lots of them. What a pain!)

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
[quote name='you_can't_be_joking' timestamp='1308790690' post='857471']
(by the way, did anybody else notice what I had to do to get the spacing on that to work? White periods... lots of them. What a pain!)
[/quote]
I did notice that actually. Dedication and attention to detail - rare in these times.