• The KillerFrogs

Just Got Back From Orientation

YCBJ Frog

I did notice that actually. Dedication and attention to detail - rare in these times.

One of the many benefits of Obsessive-Compulsive personality trait.... That and wanting to avoid studying. Got the biggest exam of my life (so far) tomorrow and I've been studying 12-16 hours a day since mid-May. I'm starting to lose my mind, to the point where I'm telling strangers about it on a message board, none of whom give a rat's backside about what I'm doing.

I almost deleted all this and didn't post it, but screw it. Off the edge I go...

tcumaniac

Maniac, which Religion class did you take? I'm taking The Bible and just curious which one you took.

The Bible as well. I know the Bible pretty well and assumed the class would be easy. It wasn't. I'm pretty sure every religion class at TCU sucks. It's just something you have to suffer through for a semester. I had Johnny Miles at 8am MWF. By far one of my least favorite human beings on this plannet. I could not stand the guy or his class.

I had to do a paper where I visted a church outside of my religion and wrote a paper on it. The Essay Prompt said "Visit a church outside of your faith background and write a 3-5 page paper explaining your experiences. For example, if you're a practicing protestant you can visit a Jewis Synagogue, a Muslim Temple, or a Catholic Mass."

I read the prompt in the context of that it was giving three possible examples. I then went to a Mormon temple the sunday after TCU beat BYU wearing a purple polo and purple tie just to be a smart [Craig James]. We had a few weeks to do the assignment and I did it the very first week. The Monday after visiting the Mormon temple, he asked the class to share our experiences so far. I was the only one that had visited a church yet. I told the class about my experience and Johny Miles nodded his head in approval and told me good job.

3 weeks later when I'm turning in my paper, he grabs mine and says its a zero. In disbelief I ask him "Why? What's the matter" He responded by saying "Mormons don't count... they're more of a cult branched from Christianity rather than a religion. And besides a Mormon temple wasn't listed as an example on the Essay Prompt." I responded saying "But weren't those just examples?? they weren't our only choices were they? You specifically said they're just examples when you assigned the project. And besides, I told you and the entire class that I went to a Mormon Temple 3 weeks ago and you said it was good. If you werent going to accept my paper, why didn't you tell me??" He responded by saying "Maniac, youre in college now. Youre a big boy and should be able to read the prompt on your own. It's not my job to baby you. You're not in high school anymore."

I went to his office afterwards and begged and pleaded for at least particial credit or an oppurtunity to redo the assignment. That zero ended up costing me a 4.0. I got an A- in the class, but i Was pissed beyond belief. By far my worst experience at TCU. I've pretty much really enjoyed every other prof I've had.

My thinking is that Johny Miles is just a bitter man. He's like 5 foot 5<div>&amp; teaches religion for a profession. I'd be pretty bitter about my life too. If you have him, I'd switch. Or at least avoid anything with mormons

</div>

tcumaniac

Only you would purposefully do that.

maybe... but hey. at least im not mormon
tongue.gif

froginaustin

maybe... but hey. at least im not mormon
tongue.gif
Did you represent yourself as a member of their Church?

Maybe I misunderstand because I'm not a Mormon either (and the several uncomfortable encounters I've had with 2-guys-in-white-shirts-on-bicycles have been short and to the point), but from what I've heard the LDS church excludes non-members from Temple just as seriously as they try to include non-members in other church activities.

Shame on you if you attended their religious services under false pretenses, or went onto their property uninvited. If you didn't, never mind. :happy:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
'maniac, if it happened exactly the way you describe, you have a legitimate gripe and should have gone over the teacher's head. The sentence, as you pointed out, said "for example".

That being said, I know Mormons personally. They're good folks. I know we bag on them here from time to time based on the BYU connection. I've been guilty myself. Anything more than light-hearted ribbing is out-of-line and I intend to respond as such. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

SnoSki

I was a religion minor at TCU.. don't think I ever took a class with Miles.

Dr. Harris was pretty cool, she taught world religion (interesting class.. much preferred to "The Bible" if you haven't taken either yet) and Black Religion in America. Both of those were very interesting classes and have shaped the way I see people who are different than I am (for the better).

Ron Flowers teaches Church and State and that is a VERY interesting class. Probably in the top 3 I ever took at TCU. It's a tough one for sure.. but worth the effort if you're open minded and wanting to learn in college and not just cruising for an easy A.

jake102

I was a religion minor at TCU.. don't think I ever took a class with Miles.

Dr. Harris was pretty cool, she taught world religion

Dr. Harris was a quack. I took world religion with her. The only thing I remember is the brutal story she made us read and discuss about female mutiliation.

tcumaniac

'maniac, if it happened exactly the way you describe, you have a legitimate gripe and should have gone over the teacher's head. The sentence, as you pointed out, said "for example".

That being said, I know Mormons personally. They're good folks. I know we bag on them here from time to time based on the BYU connection. I've been guilty myself. Anything more than light-hearted ribbing is out-of-line and I intend to respond as such. And I'm sure I'm not alone.
To set the record straight, yes I give Mormons a hard time on here, but as you put it, "it's just light hearted ribbing" mainly due to the fact that I can't stand byu. I know many Mormons, and for the most part, they're some of the nicest people I know. "the at least I'm not morrmon line" is an inside joke between me an illini.

And I agree. My parents insisted that I should have gone and complained to the dean of the religion department, and I thought long and hard about if I should do it. The paper he gave me a zero on was a pretty small percentage of my grade and I calculated that it only dropped my grade about 3 points. In the end, Those 3 points were the dilfference between an A and A-, but at the time I thought I could still pull out an A. The reason I didn't take my problem over his head was because I had a 15 something page research paper coming up that was a huge part of my grade, and it was going to be subjectively graded. I figured complaining would do more harm than good. I didn't want to piss him off right before he graded my research paper

tcumaniac

Did you represent yourself as a member of their Church?

Maybe I misunderstand because I'm not a Mormon either (and the several uncomfortable encounters I've had with 2-guys-in-white-shirts-on-bicycles have been short and to the point), but from what I've heard the LDS church excludes non-members from Temple just as seriously as they try to include non-members in other church activities.

Shame on you if you attended their religious services under false pretenses, or went onto their property uninvited. If you didn't, never mind. :happy:
It wasn't at one of their "temples". It was where they hold their weekly service. I was very welcomed and they were awkwardly nice to me to the point it made me uncomfortable

SnoSki

Dr. Harris was a quack. I took world religion with her. The only thing I remember is the brutal story she made us read and discuss about female mutiliation.

I read the same story. Maybe it didn't do anything for you, but it really made me open my eyes to the world around me... what I saw as brutal, they saw as acceptable.

froginaustin

It wasn't at one of their "temples". It was where they hold their weekly service. I was very welcomed and they were awkwardly nice to me to the point it made me uncomfortable

. . . I then went to a Mormon temple the sunday after TCU beat BYU wearing a purple polo and purple tie just to be a smart [Craig James]. We had a few weeks to do the assignment and I did it the very first week. The Monday after visiting the Mormon temple, . . ..

tcumaniac

Dude I dont know what I'm suppose to call a Mormon church service. You're being way too literal. Chill the hell out. I did nothing wrong.