• The KillerFrogs

Jimmie Swain

JimSwinkLives!

13.5.2 Transportation on Official Paid Visit
13.5.2.1 General Restrictions. A member institution may pay the prospective student-athlete’s actual round-trip transportation costs for his or her official visit to its campus from any location, provided the prospective student-athlete returns to the original point of departure, or if return transportation is provided to the prospective student-athlete’s home, educational institution or site of competition, the cost does not exceed roundtrip expenses from the prospective student-athlete’s original point of departure. Use of a limousine or helicopter for such transportation is prohibited.

funkyfrog

So what's the deal? Is TCU lacking the wow factor and don't spend the money to sell these kids? Or is A&M/Oregon doing things against the rules to get the kids however they can and don't care?

Limey Frog

funkyfrog said:
So what's the deal? Is TCU lacking the wow factor and don't spend the money to sell these kids? Or is A&M/Oregon doing things against the rules to get the kids however they can and don't care?
I'm guessing, yes.

geefrogs

is this news that the NCAA is absolutely worthless?

this just in.

cheat.  or get left behind.

welcome to college football.

rifram09

JimSwinkLives! said:
13.5.2.1 General Restrictions. A member institution may pay the prospective student-athletes actual round-trip transportation costs for his or her official visit to its campus from any location, provided the prospective student-athlete returns to the original point of departure, or if return transportation is provided to the prospective student-athletes home, educational institution or site of competition, the cost does not exceed roundtrip expenses from the prospective student-athletes original point of departure. Use of a limousine or helicopter for such transportation is prohibited.
I'll admit I was skeptical about whether that was still a valid rule... But alas... It is:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4339-2013-2014-ncaa-division-i-manual-october-version.aspx?CategoryID=0&SectionID=0&ManufacturerID=0&DistributorID=0&GenreID=0&VectorID=0&

You can download the 2013-2014 manual for free and read it yourself. The "limo" language is still an active bylaw. (PDF page 114, 13.5.2).

Now look, does this sound like a big deal? No. But after losing a kid and hearing that he was treated to extra-legal benefits in the days immediately before de-committing to us, it's pretty f'n infuriating!!!

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Rifram09 said:
Now look, does this sound like a big deal? No. But after losing a kid and hearing that he was treated to extra-legal benefits in the days immediately before de-committing to us, it's pretty f'n infuriating!!!
It is. It makes teams that go by the rules look cheap and less attractive while schools do it and don't care because they know the NCAA will do little or nothing. Worth the risk. A player should be declared ineligible to sign at a school where that happens. Problem is it it takes the NCAA five years to determine a violation occurred.

rifram09

TopFrog said:
It is. It makes teams that go by the rules look cheap and less attractive while schools do it and don't care because they know the NCAA will do little or nothing. Worth the risk. A player should be declared ineligible to sign at a school where that happens. Problem is it it takes the NCAA five years to determine a violation occurred.
I'm with you. I agree. Just saying, in a vacuum, picking Jimmy up in a limo doesn't seem like buying him a gold trans am or having the board of trustees meeting a pay roll for the football team. Get what I mean?

I guess what I'm saying is it's a stupid rule. But since it's a rule with no ambiguity, A$M are cheating bastaaads for doing it! If a bunch of hacks like us on the internet could find the bylaw forbidding it, I'm sure Aggy could figure it out (or at least use their large state fund to hire out a Horned Frog graduate attorney to help them stay in compliance).

Moose Stuff

Rifram09 said:
I'm with you. I agree. Just saying, in a vacuum, picking Jimmy up in a limo doesn't seem like buying him a gold trans am or having the board of trustees meeting a pay roll for the football team. Get what I mean?

I guess what I'm saying is it's a stupid rule. But since it's a rule with no ambiguity, A$M are cheating bastaaads for doing it! If a bunch of hacks like us on the internet could find the bylaw forbidding it, I'm sure Aggy could figure it out (or at least use their large state fund to hire out a Horned Frog graduate attorney to help them stay in compliance).
Basically agree. Couldn't care less about what type of transportation recruits are picked up in. That being said, if it a rule and someone is breaking it then there should be consequences.

Haha. SEC and Oregon can do whatever they want. When you have certain fan base and bring in huge $$$ and power to NCAA, nothing is going to happen. NCAA has no power to enforce these schools. Unless hard evidence like the receipts or video of transfer of funds its impossible to get these schools. Arian Foster said he was paid at university of Tennessee yet do see any punishment. Words mean nothing, pictures mean nothing. These big public universities (SEC/Pac12/ACC protect their teams too) have all the means to block the NCAA.

Ron Swanson

JimSwinkLives! said:
13.5.2.1 General Restrictions. A member institution may pay the prospective student-athletes actual round-trip transportation costs for his or her official visit to its campus from any location, provided the prospective student-athlete returns to the original point of departure, or if return transportation is provided to the prospective student-athletes home, educational institution or site of competition, the cost does not exceed roundtrip expenses from the prospective student-athletes original point of departure. Use of a limousine or helicopter for such transportation is prohibited.
Never been happier to be wrong

jake102

We probably need to step up our game. Either cheat or get left behind.

There seem to be ZERO repercussions for cheating.

worthag03

He was picked up by a town car not a limousine. That said it wouldn't surprise me if they got the driver to mention how it's a big deal.

dannyfrog

worthag03 said:
He was picked up by a town car not a limousine. That said it wouldn't surprise me if they got the driver to mention how it's a big deal.

Yeah, we should believe you becau$e Aggie$ never lie either.