• The KillerFrogs

Jamie has the COVID

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Shingles in the trigeninal V1 distribution around the eye is terrible. I hope you recover without the long term post herpetic neuralgia issues. Back in the day, I used to do stellate ganglion nerve blocks to treat that. It was helpful in severe cases.
I’m scared poopless just reading that and I got the double Shingles vaccine 2 years ago.

PO Frog

I got shingles at the age of 41 and it was miserable for about 6 weeks. Luckily no blistering anywhere visible but sure hope I don’t get it again.

mc1502

The virus that causes shingles is already inside your body, lying dormant in the dorsal root ganglia of your spinal cord, waiting to strike when you least expect it...
Sleep well.

literally made me laugh.

Luckily the shingles did not enter my eye, and I appear to be getting better with the introduction of the anti-viral meds. Face still burns though. Would not wish this on anyone living outside of Waco.

I just popped positive for covid. Had fevers last week on Tuesday and Wednesday, advil would help for a few hours and then it would come back. Felt not quite back to normal Thursday, and have felt healthy since. I'm 29 in good shape and lift 4x per week with some cardio mixed in. I thought I had something else when I had the fevers. My fiance has been around me the whole time and she is still not sick and has no symptoms.

The virus just effects people differently and sometimes in weird ways. That's my conclusion. I can't believe I got sick and she didn't, thought it would be the other way around

Yeah, it's wild. My 87-yr-old grandmother who has been on death's doorstep for 20 years got it in her nursing home about 2 months ago. Mild symptoms for about 4 days. Was actually transferred to another facility in the middle of it. She's fine. Doc says all her vitals are back to pre-covid.

My 59 yr-old uncle is in the hospital and not doing so well. Been on oxygen for 4 days now. Also has pneumonia. Mom said if he doesn't improve today they'll move him to ICU. He's 50 lbs overweight and has smoked for 40 years. Outlook not so good.

Now his wife...she just tested positive and is fine. She has lupus and some other autoimmune disease. She been sick most of my life. Weird how it affects everyone differently.

netty2424

I got shingles at the age of 41 and it was miserable for about 6 weeks. Luckily no blistering anywhere visible but sure hope I don’t get it again.
Got shingles in my late 20’s on the side of my head. It was the most painful feeling I’ve ever felt.

At night it felt like hot lava rolling down the side of my head. During the day when the wind blew my hair, it felt like hot needles poking my scalp.

Don’t wish that on my worst enemy.

HG73

Shingles in the trigeninal V1 distribution around the eye is terrible. I hope you recover without the long term post herpetic neuralgia issues. Back in the day, I used to do stellate ganglion nerve blocks to treat that. It was helpful in severe cases.
So neuralgia is a real thing? I remember in the 50's ads for some over the counter remedy claimed to cure "neuritis and neuralgia". Never heard about it again.

tcudoc

So neuralgia is a real thing? I remember in the 50's ads for some over the counter remedy claimed to cure "neuritis and neuralgia". Never heard about it again.
Yes. There are multiple different identified types, but neuralgia is just a descriptive term for a type of nerve pain:

acute paroxysmal pain radiating along the course of one or more nerves, usually without demonstrable changes in the nerve structure

For example:
Trigeminal neuralgia
Post herpetic neuralgia
Occipital neuralgia
Intercostal neuralgia

The suffix “-itis” just means inflammation, so neuritis is inflammation of the nerve, typically resulting in pain.
** “The itis” also means feeling tired and lazy after a big meal.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

I’ve launched two meds with indications for PHN. In doing the prep work for launch I had to study patient experience and presentations. What always stuck with me about PHN (and migraine for that matter) was the prevalence of self-harm and sometimes fatal self-harm that has occurred among sufferers.

I had what amounted to a mild case of shingles and I couldn’t even stand sleeping with a sheet over me and could tell when the AC was about to kick on a couple of seconds before it happened because of changes in air pressure. Shingles sux at cosmic levels.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
I never had chicken pox or mumps. When I volunteered at Seton hospital, they checked my titers and had me get the MMR series, chicken pox and Hep B vaccines. 8 years later I got shingles on the back of my neck. No one could explain this to me.
I've since had the Shingrix shots.

tcudoc

I never had chicken pox or mumps. When I volunteered at Seton hospital, they checked my titers and had me get the MMR series, chicken pox and Hep B vaccines. 8 years later I got shingles on the back of my neck. No one could explain this to me.
I've since had the Shingrix shots.
Chicken pox is the first exposure to the varicella zoster virus. You likely had it at some point, maybe a mild case. The immunoglobulin titers can, over time, become very low. Perhaps the test was not sensitive enough to pick it up. Then it got reactivated from the latent virus still present in the dorsal root ganglion of the spinal cord.
That’s my best guess. Killer frog in the Kitchen Sink would know better than me.

Frog-in-law1995

what? there have been flu deaths this year and past year approx 22k
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2019-2020.html

Coming a little late to this thread, so I’m sure someone has already pointed this out, but you’re citing statistics from last flu season. The flu has been virtually non-existent this 20-21 flu season. Last I checked, there hadn’t been a single flu death in Texas. (Edit: might have been thinking about pediatric only...can’t remember exactly why I was looking that stat up last month. In any event, the number is incredibly low). (Edit x 2: if I’m reading this correctly, there have been only 136 flu hospitalizations this season - since September - in the entire country). https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/)

My understanding is that’s because the measures taken to reduce the spread of Covid are particularly effective against the flu. I suspect there’s also a little reporting error in there, with some flu or flu/Covid combo going into the strictly Covid column.

Last edited:

YA

Coming a little late to this thread, so I’m sure someone has already pointed this out, but you’re citing statistics from last flu season. The flu has been virtually non-existent this 20-21 flu season. Last I checked, there hadn’t been a single flu death in Texas. (Edit: might have been thinking about pediatric only...can’t remember exactly why I was looking that stat up last month. In any event, the number is incredibly low). (Edit x 2: if I’m reading this correctly, there have been only 136 flu hospitalizations this season - since September - in the entire country). https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/)

My understanding is that’s because the measures taken to reduce the spread of Covid are particularly effective against the flu. I suspect there’s also a little reporting error in there, with some flu or flu/Covid combo going into the strictly Covid column.
They have not released the stats for the 2020-2021 season yet--which makes sense since it is still ongoing!! Last I checked a calendar year lasts from January to December so the only available data for the 2019-2020 flu season was provided to the question that was asked if there have been any reported flu deaths in 2020. That data says there have been flu deaths in 2020 and the stats when available for the 2020-2021 flu season will show deaths as well in the second half of the year. None of this is in dispute except for deniers of science.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

They have not released the stats for the 2020-2021 season yet--which makes sense since it is still ongoing!! Last I checked a calendar year lasts from January to December so the only available data for the 2019-2020 flu season was provided to the question that was asked if there have been any reported flu deaths in 2020. That data says there have been flu deaths in 2020 and the stats when available for the 2020-2021 flu season will show deaths as well in the second half of the year. None of this is in dispute except for deniers of science.

Odd response. The Frog to be Named Later was obviously talking about deaths from the flu season that began in 2020. No one denies that there were normal numbers of recorded flu deaths prior to the Covid numbers starting to rise. Even the report you linked indicates flu numbers dropped rapidly as Covid spread. And there are some numbers available so far for 2020-2021, also direct from the CDC. 1 pediatric death in the entire country. 136 hospitalizations for confirmed flu cases. The link you cited notes 405,000 hospitalizations last season. Science!