• The KillerFrogs

It's a fiery hell out here

honnonih

I know some of you have property west of Fort Worth or at Possum Kingdom. You can't image the hell we're seeing here. My property needed a good burn, but I can't look for my livestock (had to cut the fence) until they re-open the roads. Other friends have lost lake homes, barns, farm equipment....devastation everywhere around the lake. Got to meet one of the volunteer firemen from Pennsylvania (drove down here). I asked him what made him to this kind of work and he just laughed and shrugged his shoulders. Our church had triage set up for them when they came in last night. Just an unbelievable sight. About 30 of them trudging in all black with soot and ash and re-eyed. It looked like a scene from Black Hawk Down. They cleaned up and got their gear ready again for this morning.... no problem, just their job. Helping people they don't even know. God I love those guys. Pray for rain today. Thanks.

Houston Frog

I've got a couple friends from TCU with lakehouses on PK.... one of them burned to the ground yesterday, and the other one is sweating it. All of the houses surrounding Hell's Gate have supposedly burned to the ground as well. It's just terrible, such an awesome lake.

The videos are crazy

Screaming Flea

Your right, a goodly number of Frogs do live near the PK lake. What a feeling of helplessness they must feel! Investments go up in smoke and damn little you can do about it .

I have a friend who lives lakeside on the north side, central part. I haven't been able to get in contact with them. I hope they're alright and their property spared.

I'm sure a number of people had plans to sell but just imagine trying to sell your home or property now with the country side looking so charred!

To all who have tried to help, you are special...!

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
They cleaned up and got their gear ready again for this morning.... no problem, just their job. Helping people they don't even know. God I love those guys.

What is amazing is that it isn't their job, for most just a part-time volunteer profession. Many taking sick leave, vacation time or getting extra time off based on the good graces of their employers.

I posted a thread on the Killingsworth Board about the area around Ft. Davis. Having grown up in that part of the country, and having a Great-Great Grandfather that was a full-blood Apache stationed at Ft. Davis as a scout, that really hits home to me moreso than the PK area, however, that doesn't lessen the suffering and loss to those that have friends, family, and property around PK.

It's just a damn shame. My heart goes out to all.

honnonih

What is amazing is that it isn't their job, for most just a part-time volunteer profession. Many taking sick leave, vacation time or getting extra time off based on the good graces of their employers.

Very good point. There's a special place in Heaven for them, that's for sure.

BIG DADDY

hey bubba, when everything is said and done with all this if there is anything that we can do to help you or other frogs out please dont hesitate to ask. I can come out and help run a tractor and do all that. being a farmer i understand the agony and the sweating it out.

hope the livestock is ok and am glad to hear your ok.

BABYFACE

My family had sold the old lake house at PK over a decade ago. I learned yesterday that it had burned to the ground. Even though it was no longer ours, it was a bit sad for me since I had over 20 years of memories from that lake house going back to my childhood.

Top, you on fire out your way?

Benny

I lost a house in Gaines Bend, my Grandfather built it in the late 60s. Many memories there, many frog alums have partied there. The year was off to a great start with the Rose Bowl, but has kind of turned sour this past month.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
My family had sold the old lake house at PK over a decade ago. I learned yesterday that it had burned to the ground. Even though it was no longer ours, it was a bit sad for me since I had over 20 years of memories from that lake house going back to my childhood.

Top, you on fire out your way?

MW not under threat ... but we've been all over it ... crazy. Here's photo I took Sunday at PK ...

g2580000000000000007bbbfb71bdf89af6533112993b2be800ad766c60.jpg

bumblebeetuna

Man... that's terrible. One of my very good TCU buddy's family has a house out there. Came within 15 feet of burning their place down a couple years ago. Sure hope their place makes it.

froginaustin

The Austin area had a ~100 acre fire that threatened solve the urban blight problem at the "Y" at Oak Hill. The fire destroyed at least 10 houses and damaged about 20 others, all people's principal residences. Very sad.

This fire is thought to have started with a cooking fire left unattended at a homeless camp in woods near the community where the homes were lost or damaged.

What does it take to convince people to be very, very, very careful with fires and sparks during this bad drought?

:sad:

bwood

I lost a house in Gaines Bend, my Grandfather built it in the late 60s. Many memories there, many frog alums have partied there. The year was off to a great start with the Rose Bowl, but has kind of turned sour this past month.

JJ Henry has a place in Gaines Bend, next door to a roommate of mine while at TCU. Haven't heard anything on their houses yet.

honnonih

hey bubba, when everything is said and done with all this if there is anything that we can do to help you or other frogs out please dont hesitate to ask. I can come out and help run a tractor and do all that. being a farmer i understand the agony and the sweating it out.

hope the livestock is ok and am glad to hear your ok.