• The KillerFrogs

It's a fiery hell out here

honnonih

Thanks so much. I've really come out o.k., but your thought is a great one if we find a Frog that needs our help. I'll keep an eye out.

Limp Lizard

How is The Cliffs Golf Course holding up? I know it is kind of petty with all those people losing their homes, but I think The Cliffs may be my favorite course, despite being brutal. There are also some high-dollar homes around the course, too. The homes probably will get hurt more than the course.

Sangria Wine

Took a helicopter ride around the areas this morning as much as we could. A lot of the area was off limits for civilian aircraft but its crazy the amount of land thats burned. It's hard to comprehend the scale of it all. It just goes on and on in seemingly every direction. There were lots of homes lost but there were tons of homes saved. Those firefighters did some amazing work in absolutely terrible conditions and most of them did it for free. Some heros out there folks. Find a way to support them if you can.

tetonfrog

MW not under threat ... but we've been all over it ... crazy. Here's photo I took Sunday at PK ...

g2580000000000000007bbbfb71bdf89af6533112993b2be800ad766c60.jpg

That photo reminds of the huge fire they had outside of Jackson Hole five or six years ago. I'll never forget watching the trees erupt like rockets and fire into the sky. It almost reached downtown Wilson and we lived five miles from there. Horrible stuff.

My prayers go to everyone out there in West Texas. Hang in there. Hope everything turns out all right.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
That photo reminds of the huge fire they had outside of Jackson Hole five or six years ago. I'll never forget watching the trees erupt like rockets and fire into the sky. It almost reached downtown Wilson and we lived five miles from there. Horrible stuff.

My prayers go to everyone out there in West Texas. Hang in there. Hope everything turns out all right.

What's amazing is to watch how cedar trees when they catch fire explode and send fiery embers into the wind, carrying hundreds of yards in high winds, igniting another patch of dry brush that grows, ignites and explodes more cedar trees, etc.

BWDFROG

Many homes, businesses, livestock, etc burned in the 200,000+ (75% contained) acres at Fort Davis. The Wildcat fire is now around 160,000 acres and only 10% contained south of Robert Lee.. I have friends that are volunteer fighers in the Wildcat fire.

MoneyFrog

How is The Cliffs Golf Course holding up? I know it is kind of petty with all those people losing their homes, but I think The Cliffs may be my favorite course, despite being brutal. There are also some high-dollar homes around the course, too. The homes probably will get hurt more than the course.
we've got a place within the cliff's resort...about a 1/2 mile from the course. our place thankfully is ok and i've gotten reports that the course is ok as is most of the resort.

hopefully the rain will fall today out there and we can get out there soon to see for ourselves what's really going on.

55frog

We have a place at the end of the peninsula on PK and we've been very lucky - no fires reported on the peninsula. Very anxious to get back out there as soon as the roads are opened again.

We are so blessed by the selfless giving of time and energy of the volunteer firefighters. I'm sure they have saved many homes.

55frog

any idea when that's gonna be? i've heard saturday at the earliest. i wanted to go tomorrow, but i'm afraid i will be turned around once i hit 16 North off of 30.

I heard there was a slight chance they might open up the roads on Friday, but I'm waiting until Saturday unless further news indicates otherwise.
Here's a good link by TxDot on Highway closures. Not sure how often they update it but it seems to change overnight.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/GIS/HCRS_main/viewer.htm

We tried to drive out there last Sunday and were turned back at three different places.

Hope your place is ok - that's a beautiful area around the Cliffs.

MoneyFrog

Hope your place is ok - that's a beautiful area around the Cliffs.
we are in Bob White Bluffs within the cliffs. I think we've been unaffected so far (miracle).

The only updates we have gotten are from the Pondera real estate blog. Those people have been amazing.

Good luck to you on Saturday. I'll be heading that way too.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
We have a place at the end of the peninsula on PK and we've been very lucky - no fires reported on the peninsula. Very anxious to get back out there as soon as the roads are opened again.

We are so blessed by the selfless giving of time and energy of the volunteer firefighters. I'm sure they have saved many homes.

It's a very apocalyptic scene. Like a tornado, it skipped homes. You have two or three burned, one or two untouched, a couple more burned, a couple OK, etc.

Would love to meet and go in with you for photos when you go ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Based on today's info from the federal incident management team in charge of the PK Complex fire, I wouldn't make any plans to get into PK subdivisions this weekend. The fire is 25 percent contained and a lot of dangers remain in the subdivisions, a lot of work still going on. They hope to have full containment by the 30th.

55frog

It's a very apocalyptic scene. Like a tornado, it skipped homes. You have two or three burned, one or two untouched, a couple more burned, a couple OK, etc.

Would love to meet and go in with you for photos when you go ...

Top, I think we're going out on Monday afternoon. Had planned to go Saturday but a buddy came up with two extra tickets to the TCU - UNLV game at noon Saturday.
E-mail me at nickg34@sbcglobal.net if you're still interested in linking up and going out. We're in Arlington and always go directly thru Mineral Wells on the way out.

Baja Frog

55, was wondering if we were related there for a minute. My family (all Horned Frogs) has a place at the end of the peninsula on PK as well. So far, all on the peninsula have been very fortunate. It's all unbelievable and I can't imagine what it's going to look like when we finally get to see it. PK will probably never look the same (at least from the water).

desmith03

I posted a thread on the Killingsworth Board about the area around Ft. Davis. Having grown up in that part of the country, and having a Great-Great Grandfather that was a full-blood Apache stationed at Ft. Davis as a scout, that really hits home to me moreso than the PK area, however, that doesn't lessen the suffering and loss to those that have friends, family, and property around PK.

It's just a damn shame. My heart goes out to all.

I saw a pic recently of the observatory with Guide Peak & Black Mountain completely ablaze behind it. Must be what the area looked like when all the volcanism was still going on.

55frog

55, was wondering if we were related there for a minute. My family (all Horned Frogs) has a place at the end of the peninsula on PK as well. So far, all on the peninsula have been very fortunate. It's all unbelievable and I can't imagine what it's going to look like when we finally get to see it. PK will probably never look the same (at least from the water).
Insurance money will enable the homes to be rebuilt pretty quickly, but those beautiful cedars and mesquites will take 10-15 years to grow back.

Watch for the TCU flag on holiday weekends (particularly Labor day) flying from our swim dock. Tie up and come in and have a beer if you're out boating.