• The KillerFrogs

Is July the worst sports month?

SuperBarrFrog

Wimbledon—Spaniard, Carlos Alcaraz, is only 20 years old and a physically strong boy, and now has a Wimbledon title to go with last fall’s US Open Championship, and his #1 ranking. Wow. He beat the best ever, Djokovic, in five sets this morning and I missed it. Djokovic has 7 Wimbledon’s including the previous four. Bjorn Borg won five in-a-row from 1976-80.
It was a great match too. Best I’ve seen in quite a few years. There was even a 27 minute game that had like 13 deuces

Purp

It was a great match too. Best I’ve seen in quite a few years. There was even a 27 minute game that had like 13 deuces
Yeah. 2nd set almost went an hour and a half. Djoker got the early lead, but Alcaraz battled back from a set point in the 2nd set tiebreak to turn the tide and even at 1 set each. Then Alcaraz looked to have taken control after the 3rd, but Djoker faught back and leveled in the 4th. The 5th set was intense. Really great match.

LisaLT

Women's world cup soccer is starting. How is our US team this year?

Yes July is a LONG month. Once we hit August, the countdown begins.
Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Purp

Women's world cup soccer is starting. How is our US team this year?

Yes July is a LONG month. Once we hit August, the countdown begins.
Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
They're going to be pretty good, but have a lot of young players who haven't played in a WC before so that could be a factor. On paper the ladies should win, but that's why they play the games.

JogginFrog

The Tour de France was essentially won yesterday on the last mountain stage--Jonas Vingegaard removed most of the doubt on the time trial the day before, and he backed it up by putting 7+ minutes on Pogacar.

But the stages I enjoy most are when long breakaways are successful. Today a three-man breakaway nursed a 1-minute lead for more than an hour. A fourth guy came across, but they still seemed doomed. They conserved their energy, knowing the peleton wouldn't want to catch them too soon. Then, one rider pulled a long leadout, sacrificing himself for the other 3, who sprinted the last 400 meters to hold off 150 guys bearing down on them. Guys who have been busting their butt for 3 weeks to carry water for their teammates get a longshot chance to win a stage in the world's most famous race. One of them does. Worth a watch.

Last edited:

SousaFrog

It has to be right? I mean unless you’re into pro baseball, there is basically nothing going on. All of July and then half of August…that period had to be the worst for sports.

There’s Wimbledon, which is nice and all but I’ve lost interest in it since my playing days stopped and no Americans are that good.

There’s the British Open but that’s only for four days, two during the week.

There is nothing else, no college football, no pro football, no college baseball and basketball, no pro basketball, hockey is over, no European soccer. There’s the Mexican league if you like that but again, aside from maybe 2 big tournaments and one major sport going on, there is NOTHING.

Hate this month when it comes to sports.
Watched some of the Women's AmeriCup (Mexico), and the Dallas Wings are soaring currently (having beat both the Aces and Liberty in a 4-game-winning-span); w/ the FIBA [Women's] 3x3 U23 Nations League upcoming. I'm partial to basketball though.

LisaLT

Not a big soccer fan but I’d watch a Tiddlywinks contest if it was USA vs. the world. Only time I ever watch soccer is if the US men or women are playing in the World Cup or Olympics.
I agree for the most part. I don’t really follow soccer or any particular league etc but there’s something about the World Cup that is much more exciting and enjoyable to watch for the casual viewer. AND, at least the USA women’s team is one of the best in the world and are going for a three-peat. That’s worth a watch.