• The KillerFrogs

Iowa State, WOW

FrogCop19

I wish we would move back to some form of an H-Back or lead blocker and a more downhill running game. We can do that out of our spread and it would really help our RBs. Especially Anderson who’s a cut and go back. He needs a guy in front of him
Yeah, like an O-line that will block for him.

FrogLifeYo

West Virginia ran 42 total plays in the game, was 1-10 on 3rd down, and finished with 150 total yards. THAT is why they lost. Not because of who was playing QB for Iowa St.

Grier threw 15 passes the entire game. I don't know how that's even possible.

It was possible because ISU ran the ball at will and was able to possess it 37min to 22min...It’s the absolute kryptonite to pass first teams like WVU, TT, and Okie Light. Possess it and use the clock to your advantage. It makes every possession that an opponent gets critical. Teams who go fast generally will self implode...Just like our Frogs do week after week. Impatience eventually drives a OC and his QB nuts

Eight

West Virginia ran 42 total plays in the game, was 1-10 on 3rd down, and finished with 150 total yards. THAT is why they lost. Not because of who was playing QB for Iowa St.

Grier threw 15 passes the entire game. I don't know how that's even possible.

possible as pointed out by others that iowa state controlled the ball with their offense and pressured greer numerous times that resulted with him being sacked or forced to run so wvu called more than 15 pass plays

CountryFrog

uh, their quarterback did throw three (that's 3) touchdown passes against WV.
And you're just assuming that there's no way the other QB could've ever done that against the mighty West Virginia defense?

I'm fully aware that you have to score more than zero points to win a game and whoever scores those points along the way deserves some measure of credit. I also know that when your defense holds West Virginia to 150 total yards and 14 points then you don't need Aaron Rodgers at QB to win that game. So the idea that ISU changing QBs is THE thing that led to them winning this game is very flawed. It's even more flawed to then say that all TCU needs to do is change QBs and the wins will come rolling in every week.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

possible as pointed out by others that iowa state controlled the ball with their offense and pressured greer numerous times that resulted with him being sacked or forced to run so wvu called more than 15 pass plays
It was more of a rhetorical statement. It's pretty obvious after the game has already been played to explain and understand how it happened.

My point was that there's pretty much no way BEFORE a West Virginia game that anyone would think that they're only going to attempt 15 passes the entire game. That's gotta be the least number of passes they've thrown in a game in a very very long time.

Eight

It was more of a rhetorical statement. It's pretty obvious after the game has already been played to explain and understand how it happened.

My point was that there's pretty much no way BEFORE a West Virginia game that anyone would think that they're only going to attempt 15 passes the entire game. That's gotta be the least number of passes they've thrown in a game in a very very long time.

only thing i can offer is that no team in the conference the past few years has consistently shown the ability to do the things they need to do to win games they aren't supposed to than iowa state

no program seems to be as completely bought in to the concept of winning for the program than those guys in ames

Last edited:

CountryFrog

only thing i can offer is that no team in the conference the past few years has consistently shown the ability to do the things they need to do to games they aren't supposed to than iowa state

no program seems to be as completely bought in to the concept of winning for the program than those guys in ames
That's for sure. Which is why I was surprised at how many people were upset on here after we beat them because we didn't do it as easily as those people thought we should have.

The Tech game, on the other hand, I can fully understand people being upset about that one. That is NOT a good team that we lost to. Iowa St is a good team.

Brog

And you're just assuming that there's no way the other QB could've ever done that against the mighty West Virginia defense?

I'm fully aware that you have to score more than zero points to win a game and whoever scores those points along the way deserves some measure of credit. I also know that when your defense holds West Virginia to 150 total yards and 14 points then you don't need Aaron Rodgers at QB to win that game. So the idea that ISU changing QBs is THE thing that led to them winning this game is very flawed. It's even more flawed to then say that all TCU needs to do is change QBs and the wins will come rolling in every week.

Well, how many other quarterbacks threw three touchdown passes in games yesterday? Not many, at least around us.

CountryFrog

Well, how many other quarterbacks threw three touchdown passes in games yesterday? Not many, at least around us.
He had a nice game. That's not the point. Any time you hold a team to 150 total yards and 14 points then you're winning that game about 95% of the time no matter who your QB is.

HickoryFlameFrog

Anyone besides me that watched that game think the ISU defense looked alot like a GP defense. They were ready for pretty much everything WV did and WV seemed to get out of sorts pretty early on.

bc puckett

Good thing we didn't get them before they found that quarterback.

Starting to look more positively at the end of the schedule. Looks like WVU, OU, KU, K-State, and OSU are gonna be the easier part of the season. If we work on ball protections, I am thinking we go 3-2 or 4-1 the remainder of the schedule.

Interesting theory but a little flawed as the there are 6 games remaining: OU, KU, KSU, WVU, BU, and Okie Lite.

Horny4TCU

How do you know that Collins is “pretty darn good”?
I don't, but no one (at least fans) does or doesn't know if he is or isn't.

But they didn't know Purdy was good, until Zeb wasn't working out. At least try it, if Iowa State has the chutzpah/cajones to do it, we might, as well try.

At this point, the kid transferred here and the coaches thought enough of him to give him a spot, and the present situation isn't really panning out, so let him try. Just end the debate and let him earn that scholarship with some playing time.

Dusty

I don't, but no one (at least fans) does or doesn't know if he is or isn't.

But they didn't know Purdy was good, until Zeb wasn't working out. At least try it, if Iowa State has the chutzpah/cajones to do it, we might, as well try.

At this point, the kid transferred here and the coaches thought enough of him to give him a spot, and the present situation isn't really panning out, so let him try. Just end the debate and let him earn that scholarship with some playing time.

Actually there is a lot know about Collins. As a high school player, he was the QB that won three straight state titles. He was recruited and accepted a spot at Univ of Penn., an Ivy league school, so he is smart. According to newspaper reports, he would have been their starter as a redshirt freshman but decided to transfer because a high school teammate came to TCU and talked him into transferring here. According to a interview with Coach P last spring, Collins was the scout team QB that played against TCUs defense last year and gave Coach Ps defense fits. Also we got to see Collins against Robinson in the spring game and there was no question that Collins was by far the better of the two QBs and the states showed that as well. After reading several of the newspaper articles that were written about the spring game, every writer came to the same conclusion, that Collins would be the starter for this season.

Now here is the problem, Cumbie did not recruit Collins, he recruited Robinson. So it appears to me that Cumbie is refusing to give Collins the start, I suspect that is because Collins will shine and Robinson won't get the starting job back until after Collins graduates. But that is just my opinion.