• The KillerFrogs

Iowa State, WOW

Wexahu

Actually there is a lot know about Collins. As a high school player, he was the QB that won three straight state titles. He was recruited and accepted a spot at Univ of Penn., an Ivy league school, so he is smart. According to newspaper reports, he would have been their starter as a redshirt freshman but decided to transfer because a high school teammate came to TCU and talked him into transferring here. According to a interview with Coach P last spring, Collins was the scout team QB that played against TCUs defense last year and gave Coach Ps defense fits. Also we got to see Collins against Robinson in the spring game and there was no question that Collins was by far the better of the two QBs and the states showed that as well. After reading several of the newspaper articles that were written about the spring game, every writer came to the same conclusion, that Collins would be the starter for this season.

Now here is the problem, Cumbie did not recruit Collins, he recruited Robinson. So it appears to me that Cumbie is refusing to give Collins the start, I suspect that is because Collins will shine and Robinson won't get the starting job back until after Collins graduates. But that is just my opinion.

I don’t remember the news coming out about the spring game quite like you say it did (I didn’t see the game) but I do think Collins at least deserves a shot at more PT. Even if he comes in and stinks it up for a couple series it may serve to relax SR a bit. Just continuing to roll with a kid who is obviously struggling isn’t helping anyone or anything IMO.

Horny4TCU

Actually there is a lot know about Collins. As a high school player, he was the QB that won three straight state titles. He was recruited and accepted a spot at Univ of Penn., an Ivy league school, so he is smart. According to newspaper reports, he would have been their starter as a redshirt freshman but decided to transfer because a high school teammate came to TCU and talked him into transferring here. According to a interview with Coach P last spring, Collins was the scout team QB that played against TCUs defense last year and gave Coach Ps defense fits. Also we got to see Collins against Robinson in the spring game and there was no question that Collins was by far the better of the two QBs and the states showed that as well. After reading several of the newspaper articles that were written about the spring game, every writer came to the same conclusion, that Collins would be the starter for this season.

Now here is the problem, Cumbie did not recruit Collins, he recruited Robinson. So it appears to me that Cumbie is refusing to give Collins the start, I suspect that is because Collins will shine and Robinson won't get the starting job back until after Collins graduates. But that is just my opinion.
Well darn. Put him in! Gary step in and make the magic happen!

Chongo94

I don’t remember the news coming out about the spring game quite like you say it did (I didn’t see the game) but I do think Collins at least deserves a shot at more PT. Even if he comes in and stinks it up for a couple series it may serve to relax SR a bit. Just continuing to roll with a kid who is obviously struggling isn’t helping anyone or anything IMO.

I don’t remember the stats line or anything but I do remember it similar to Dusty’s post in that everything I heard regarding that spring game was that Collins was the best qb out there. I never figured he would start over SR even upon hearing that but it did surprise me how many people seemed to rave about him and his supposed ability.

Although it is a huge jump from playing HS football in CT or at an Ivy League school to P5 football, if someone says the Collins may have some ability and should be given a shot, I don't think that is unreasonable. If someone is going to say that the coaches are intentionally playing an inferior player at QB because they're afraid the other guy is so much better, I would be inclined to call BS on that.

netty2424

Although it is a huge jump from playing HS football in CT or at an Ivy League school to P5 football, if someone says the Collins may have some ability and should be given a shot, I don't think that is unreasonable. If someone is going to say that the coaches are intentionally playing an inferior player at QB because they're afraid the other guy is so much better, I would be inclined to call BS on that.
100% bullship.

Absolutely no way a group of P5 coaches(GP, Cumbie, Luper, and whomever else wants in on that) who’s jobs depend on these kids on field success, will sit Collins if he is clearly the better QB over some personal agenda.

It’s starting to sound like the fine print of Cumbies contract lists him as a co-head coach or something the way some are posting about GP and Cumbie.

Eight

I don’t remember the stats line or anything but I do remember it similar to Dusty’s post in that everything I heard regarding that spring game was that Collins was the best qb out there. I never figured he would start over SR even upon hearing that but it did surprise me how many people seemed to rave about him and his supposed ability.

spring game?

ThisIsOurTime

tenor.gif

BABYFACE

West Virginia ran 42 total plays in the game, was 1-10 on 3rd down, and finished with 150 total yards. THAT is why they lost. Not because of who was playing QB for Iowa St.

Grier threw 15 passes the entire game. I don't know how that's even possible.

That is how TCU used to beat people prior to the Big 12. TOP and stout defense.

However, I prefer a multifaceted offense that can go air raid when needed or go to grind out physical control the clock scheme. I know, easier said than done.