• The KillerFrogs

I'm Officially Done With Big Mac

tcuwags

Casey Pachall is candid about TCU

McKINNEY, Texas - Casey Pachall graduated from TCU in December, and he currently is living in Plano and training at the Michael Johnson Performance Athletic Training Center in preparation for TCU's Pro Day.

For a larger story, the former TCU quarterback was nice enough to give me about 20 minutes on Thursday. (BTW - I came away completely impressed. This is not the same guy who got busted for a DUI.)

The last question I asked him was, "What do you make of the current state of the TCU football program?"

He said: "It's rough right now. There is zero leadership. Nobody wants to step up and take charge of anything. It's rough. That is why they have the stuff they did. I still love those guys. Maybe they made mistakes, everybody does. I'm not putting those people down at all. They are still my good friends. Things are going to happen and as a team they need somebody to step up."

I followed with, "How does the team get that?"

"It's one of those things where every now and then you may say something to a teammate, and it may make them mad, but when they sit down and think about it they know it was sincere and it wasn't getting on your ass," Pachall said. "A lot of these guys don't want to speak up, they just want to blend in with the crowd. They want to be cool with their teammates, instead of getting on them and getting something going."

@MacEngelProf
tengel@star-telegram.com
Facebook Big Steaming Pile

Feb 21, 2014 2:00:00 AM

tcuwags

Interesting choice of topics. Seems like he could have written about a million other things related to TCU except to ask Casey his assessment of the current Frog team. I would rather have read about Casey's assessment of his chances in the upcoming nfl draft or just about CP's assessment of his own life choices. Just not sure Casey is the best choice to assess Frog football as we begin Spring practice. Seems like one more negative slant from Mac about the Frogs.

texas_sicilian

Creates fodder like this:
Yikes. RT @Jake_Trotter: QB Casey Pachall crushes TCU program: "It's rough right now. There is zero leadership." sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mac-engel/2014
4:52pm - 24 Feb 14

Off seasons since joining B12 just sucks for TCU. Self defeating actions but also media just attacks the program with negative articles 1 after another. We can all look forward to many more negative articles.

Have you seen local media hate it's local teams more than DFW? I haven't.

steelfrog

Tier 1
This is not news folks. What would be news is if he had said that despite drug arrests and star players shooting huns and several players decoding just to quit playing and a 4-8 record--that everything was great and leadership is solid. We know there's trouble

tetonfrog

Maybe Casey should shut his mouth. Mac is not the problem. He is giving Casey a microphone. That' all.

Casey is trying to make excuses for his poor play this year to help his draft stock. If the leadership on the team is bad, then why didn't Casey try to change that? Maybe cuz his teammates lost faith in him thanks to his off-the-field issues.

There have been a lot of people at TCU who stuck by Casey Pachal and defended him. Making comments like this must make them wonder. Loyalty goes both ways. I don't see anything good for TCU coming from Casey's mouth. I cannot figure why he would slam our program.

Good luck in the NFL Casey. Hope you play better than you did against Baylor.

texas_sicilian

Despite the odds Frog said:
Off season just sucks for TCU. Self defeating actions but also media just attacks the program with negative articles 1 after another. We can all look forward to many more negative articles.
It's amazing how fickle and shortsighted some folks are... I recall the pre-season article by Ubben on TCU last year (re the one thing we needed) was earplugs to drown out the media hype that we'll be a #1 B12 champion contender... now our mere conference membership is being called into question.

tcuwags

Just seems like he could have complimented the coaching changes or the recruiting class or the QB battle shaping up or even the positive changes that CP has made.

tetonfrog

Thanks Armadillo. Appreciate it.

Here is what Mac should have asked after the rough, no leadership at TCU quote by Casey:

"Casey, why didn't you step up and be the leader last year?" 

tcudoc

Casey's decision to grant this interview and then what he said in the interview were all poorly thought out.  I am glad he is doing better for himself, but his chapter at TCU reads a lot closer to Casey Printers' than to Andy Dalton's.

Opintel

Moderators
Where's a good place for a sensitive Horned Frog fan, such as myself, to hide during the off-season? :angry:

- reality: the team needs leadership from within.
- reality: the coaching staff must demand that the senior people (or anyone, damnit!) step up.
- reality: if butts need to be kicked, the "adults" need to leave the room, lock the door, and come back later.

- reality: we've turned into a society of big babies who shy away from responsibility, and don't want their feelings hurt.
- reality: people who are not willing to give their best effort, including being loyal to the team and not talking idiocy to sensationalist media, need to go!
- reality: three strikes may be too much for some people.

tcudoc

tetonfrog said:
Thanks Armadillo. Appreciate it.

Here is what Mac should have asked after the rough, no leadership at TCU quote by Casey:

"Casey, why didn't you step up and be the leader last year?" 
Exactly.  What good journalist would not see that this is the logical next question?