• The KillerFrogs

I don’t like this personal calling out of players

Wexahu

I agree. It’s chicken [ Finebaum ] to call out individual kids in a negative way. Hand out kudos individually for great play by kids. Rip coaches apart for poor game plans/preparation/etc. Frankly that’s a “rule” that should need nobody to enforce because it should be common courtesy as college sports fans.
Why rip apart coaches? They’ve got families, a lot of them have young kids, they’ve got a lot to deal with too. What does ripping them apart really accomplish?

I’m not sure I totally get the separation there. They are all pros now.

Sangria Wine

Why rip apart coaches? They’ve got families, a lot of them have young kids, they’ve got a lot to deal with too. What does ripping them apart really accomplish?

I’m not sure I totally get the separation there. They are all pros now.
You surely can see the difference between 18-22 year olds and the old guys recruiting said young guys, setting the systems, leading the preparation, making the calls, etc,

LisaLT

Let's keep in mind though that there are more than a few players that are now being paid a lot more through NIL than many on the coaching staff make.

NIL is changing the landscape. Players are asking fans (us) to pay them, and pay them handsomely. If being paid a LOT of money opens someone up to being called out, then it opens those players up to being called out too.

That said, I hear you - feedback should be constructive criticism, not bitching.
I agree with that too. I guess it cuts both ways.

HeidelFrog

I thought it was long-standing practice on this board not to do that. Yet, we have had two separate threads dedicated to our quarterback. I know it’s not the same as it used to be, as they are all paid now. But to me, they are still kids and I don’t think we should be posting threads about them personally.

I do believe we came out flat, unprepared, and undisciplined. Yes, it is in part the fault of the players and in part due to the coaches.

Yes, they embarrassed themselves and the fan base on Saturday. But I don’t think that we should be naming 20 year old kids in threads, saying they are the worst at their position for the last two decades, and other numerous personal attacks.

Not cool. Not right. Stop please.
This is such a little league view. It’s big-time college football. A billion dollar industry. Paid athletes. ESPN and every other media outlet in the country calls out players for good and bad play. Coaches do the same. No other message board in America has that type of extreme censorship.

These are not personal attacks on players. This is criticism of their performance on the field and their ability as a big time college athlete.

Limey Frog

"No criticizing individual players on a college sports message board after a loss."

Everyone finish your drink.

"Fire the OC" = everyone takes a shot.

"Start Matt Joeckel" = you buy shots for everyone.

Paint It Purple

$ they are professionals now. Some may make more $ playing for TCU than the average fan at their 9to5, Mon-Fri gig.

We need to re-visit the prohibition of "calling out players" in this new world of cfb, IMO.

Two pre-touchdown INTs (14 points, difference maker in the final score) should qualify somebody to take a fall. (QB or play caller: FAIL!)
Still kids. The adults started this NIL nonsense.

WhatTheFrog

When do these "kids" become adults? Is it when they are old enough to vote? Is it when they are old enough to die for their country? Is it when they are old enough to make bank for doing the job they were hired to do?

Should they continue to be coddled and their feelings be protected until the last possible second, then they hit the real world and don't know how to deal with it? I'd hope these men can handle some criticism and attacks on social media or a fan board (do they even read this stuff, anyway?) I'm sure most of them can. Those that can't will probably "take their talents" elsewhere anyway. I think there are still a decent number of players that truly love and are loyal to the school (Duggan), but those numbers are dwindling by the day with the new rules in place (Evans). Colorado is an entire team of hired guns, as are most of our position players. Now, they are the product and we are the customer.

Praising players when they do good then crapping on the coaches when the players do bad is what I consider chickenshit. "Praise in public, reprimand in private" is a management principle, not for customers. Customers have a right to complain about an inferior product they paid for. The players wanted this, now they have it. Adulting can be hard at times, but it must be done, feelings be damned.

TL;DR: These are adults, time to act like it. My opinion.

Chongo94

Ok but that’s a really dumb way to look at it IMO. Lets say LSU wins and FSU ends up being 7-5 this year. And say Florida goes on to go 10-2 and ends the season at #6. Utah shouldn’t get credit for beating a top 10 team since Florida was unranked when they played, but LSU should have a top 10 win because they beat Florida State? I’m sorry, that just makes no sense. And giving both teams a “top 10 win” seems really dumb too.

I find that people’s opinion on this subject almost entirely depends on whose dog they have in the fight.
Man……you must be a beating at restaurants with a large menu.

BleedNPurple

I’m just glad that none of the players or coaches give a [ Finebaum ] about what gets written on this board. All of the posters are outside the program and nobody on here has an ounce of effect on what’s happening with the coaching staff or play on the field!

The posting is to give the fan piece a chance to express and get thei emotions out. The coaches and team know what they need to do next. Thanks for getting you’re ya’ ya’s out!

Atomic Frawg

None of us are "the man in the arena." We are all Monday morning QBs, some are keyboard warriors, and some only have internet nuts.

I put up with a lot of crap when my school loses, because we create haters. We create haters because we do things to make people hate - like being a small school that whoops much butt. If you aren't doing anything worth making people hate, you're mediocre. But my life doesn't revolve around whether a bunch of college students win or lose a game. That's because I have something called a life.

Rule #5 isn't going away or getting revisited. Criticism of play is one thing - forums turn lots of people into Skip Bayless. But no one likes whiny little beotches. So, in the words of RBWFHCGMFP, take a step back.

Froglaw

I was screaming from the stands “COVER THE BACK” just prior to the last CU touchdown play.

When a fan knows the other teams play (because they scored three times before with it), then maybe our D coaches could put a fast linebacker on the field to cover the back!

YEP THE COACHES NEED TO TAKE THE BLAME ON THIS ONE, NOT THE KIDS.

HeidelFrog

None of us are "the man in the arena." We are all Monday morning QBs, some are keyboard warriors, and some only have internet nuts.

I put up with a lot of crap when my school loses, because we create haters. We create haters because we do things to make people hate - like being a small school that whoops much butt. If you aren't doing anything worth making people hate, you're mediocre. But my life doesn't revolve around whether a bunch of college students win or lose a game. That's because I have something called a life.

Rule #5 isn't going away or getting revisited. Criticism of play is one thing - forums turn lots of people into Skip Bayless. But no one likes whiny little beotches. So, in the words of RBWFHCGMFP, take a step back.
Thanks for the speech on “Man in the Arena”, “Monday Morning QB”, “Keyboard Warriors” and “Internet Nuts”.

HeidelFrog

I thought everyone on here was the “Man in the Arena” just being “Keyboard Warriors” and “Monday Morning Quarterbacking” with “Internet Nuts”.

FrogBall09

I'm not a fan of this either. It's the Coaches' responsibility to pick the best kids and put them in position to succeed. Like Wes always held, they're kids, doing the best they can. If there's fault, it lies with those who were responsible for instruction and performance.
So a real opinion I have been told by a couple of players is that we don’t have many guys that “coach” on this staff - we have strategy/scheme guys and great recruiters

But not really many coaches that are capable of correcting bad habits or teaching correct form

Seemed to show up in our inability to tackle, cover weak side, when to press, read the LBs, etc side this week - so starting to believe it

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So a real opinion I have been told by a couple of players is that we don’t have many guys that “coach” on this staff - we have strategy/scheme guys and great recruiters

But not really many coaches that are capable of correcting bad habits or teaching correct form

Seemed to show up in our inability to tackle, cover weak side, when to press, read the LBs, etc side this week - so starting to believe it
That explains a great deal.

A friend was lamenting, "A Patterson team wouldn't have blown tackles like that!" He's right, and it was one of the things that was most apparent when it was coming apart for Patterson that the basic fundamentals were slipping. With the present Staff, the fundamentals are nonexistent. The kids don't learn them in HS anymore, and nobody has the time to correct mechanics at the College level.

frogetaboutit

Sorry. Lots of typing there but you lost me when you led with the “you’ve never served in the military so you don’t have a right to criticize” argument.

East Coast

Tier 1
Peach bowl team never lost by 60.

Neither did rose bowl. Not the most successful.
Oh come on. Max was an above average P5 QB from 2019 - 2021. He was almost never the reason we lost games. Last year he was much better early, regressed a little as the year went on, but continued to win games on grit and determination. And yes, I think we lose 3 or 4 regular season games without him.

He was not good against Georgia, but I would say every defensive unit and the entire offensive line were far worse. Exceptions for Steve Avila, and the young nose tackle Williams.

East Coast

Tier 1
That explains a great deal.

A friend was lamenting, "A Patterson team wouldn't have blown tackles like that!" He's right, and it was one of the things that was most apparent when it was coming apart for Patterson that the basic fundamentals were slipping. With the present Staff, the fundamentals are nonexistent. The kids don't learn them in HS anymore, and nobody has the time to correct mechanics at the College level.
That's one of the arguments for redshirting most freshman. And Colorado sure found time to teach their kids fundamentals with basically a entire new team (at least far better than we have).