• The KillerFrogs

I don’t like this personal calling out of players

Brevity Frog

I thought it was long-standing practice on this board not to do that. Yet, we have had two separate threads dedicated to our quarterback. I know it’s not the same as it used to be, as they are all paid now. But to me, they are still kids and I don’t think we should be posting threads about them personally.

I do believe we came out flat, unprepared, and undisciplined. Yes, it is in part the fault of the players and in part due to the coaches.

Yes, they embarrassed themselves and the fan base on Saturday. But I don’t think that we should be naming 20 year old kids in threads, saying they are the worst at their position for the last two decades, and other numerous personal attacks.

Not cool. Not right. Stop please.

Virginia Frog

I thought it was long-standing practice on this board not to do that. Yet, we have had two separate threads dedicated to our quarterback. I know it’s not the same as it used to be, as they are all paid now.
$ they are professionals now. Some may make more $ playing for TCU than the average fan at their 9to5, Mon-Fri gig.

We need to re-visit the prohibition of "calling out players" in this new world of cfb, IMO.

Two pre-touchdown INTs (14 points, difference maker in the final score) should qualify somebody to take a fall. (QB or play caller: FAIL!)

LisaLT

$ they are professionals now. Some may make more $ playing for TCU than the average fan at their 9to5, Mon-Fri gig.

We need to re-visit the prohibition of "calling out players" in this new world of cfb, IMO.

Two pre-touchdown INTs (14 points, difference maker in the final score) should qualify somebody to take a fall. (QB or play caller: FAIL!)
It was a poor play call and bad execution with a running back standing there that could’ve scored running it in. TWICE!

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Looks like it already has been and is allowed.

Brevity Frog

Respectfully I disagree. The money is real but their age, maturity, vulnerability is the same. I have a college kid myself. He isn’t grown up. Neither are these players. I think we need to have more wisdom and maturity than this.

Wexahu

Respectfully I disagree. The money is real but their age, maturity, vulnerability is the same. I have a college kid myself. He isn’t grown up. Neither are these players. I think we need to have more wisdom and maturity than this.
I do think the fact that these guys are more or less paid professionals now does change the dynamic a bit. As long as it isn't over the top or mean spirited, I think some criticism of players is fair game. They are pros, that's what professional athletes have to deal with.

On a different subject but in the same vein, I can see people's point about how disappointing it was for the players to not stand for the alma mater after the game. But I don't think stuff like means much to these guys. They are most likely at TCU primarily because either the financial package they got or because of a relationship with an assistant coach, and they move around so much anymore, let's just say it's not the same. Take Colorado for instance, I don't know if they do anything similar there but do think those players actually give two craps about the University of Colorado and are going to have strong feelings about singing some school song after a bad loss?

This is a new era of college football, what everyone says was long overdue. I'm just trying to enjoy it as much as I can.

Brevity Frog

I do think the fact that these guys are more or less paid professionals now does change the dynamic a bit. As long as it isn't over the top or mean spirited, I think some criticism of players is fair game. They are pros, that's what professional athletes have to deal with.

On a different subject but in the same vein, I can see people's point about how disappointing it was for the players to not stand for the alma mater after the game. But I don't think stuff like means much to these guys. They are most likely at TCU primarily because either the financial package they got or because of a relationship with an assistant coach, and they move around so much anymore, let's just say it's not the same. Take Colorado for instance, I don't know if they do anything similar there but do think those players actually give two craps about the University of Colorado and are going to have strong feelings about singing some school song after a bad loss?

This is a new era of college football, what everyone says was long overdue. I'm just trying to enjoy it as much as I can.
I agree the money changes the dynamic but the change may be two ways. The players may feel less connected to the school. And the fans may feel like the money entitles them to be able to demean kids publicly or that the kids have some contractual obligation to perform now, with the fans the aggrieved party in case of breach.

But both those are bad results. I still want the players to feel connection and loyalty to the school, and many do, despite the money.

And I still want the fans to treat these players with respect and in consideration of their age and vulnerability. The money doesn’t make these kids older, more mature, or less vulnerable than before NIL.

Again I think we should restore our prior rules on this board.

Wexahu

I agree the money changes the dynamic but the change may be two ways. The players may feel less connected to the school. And the fans may feel like the money entitles them to be able to demean kids publicly or that the kids have some contractual obligation to perform now, with the fans the aggrieved party in case of breach.

But both those are bad results. I still want the players to feel connection and loyalty to the school, and many do, despite the money.

And I still want the fans to treat these players with respect and in consideration of their age and vulnerability. The money doesn’t make these kids older, more mature, or less vulnerable than before NIL.

Again I think we should restore our prior rules on this board.
There already are unintended consequences of these new rule changes in college football, and more will surface as the years go by. You might as well get used to it, things like the singing of the alma mater are going to be a relic of the past very soon, if it isn't already.

Don't you find it kind of odd that you almost never hear about kids not cutting it academically anymore? Are we sure they even go to school?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There already are unintended consequences of these new rule changes in college football, and more will surface as the years go by. You might as well get used to it, things like the singing of the alma mater are going to be a relic of the past very soon, if it isn't already.

Don't you find it kind of odd that you almost never hear about kids not cutting it academically anymore? Are we sure they even go to school?
These "rules changes" are primarily there to enrich the TV Networks, who could give a ripe crap about Tradition.

As noted not so long ago, we're watching the last years of College Football before it morphs into something unrecognizable and grotesque.

As for the calling out of players, it was said by Wes and others that "we don't want to be the Shaggy Bevo (now Surly Horns) where they just tear into the players."

Wexahu

These "rules changes" are primarily there to enrich the TV Networks, who could give a ripe crap about Tradition.

As noted not so long ago, we're watching the last years of College Football before it morphs into something unrecognizable and grotesque.

As for the calling out of players, it was said by Wes and others that "we don't want to be the Shaggy Bevo (now Surly Horns) where they just tear into the players."
This is where you gave it backwards IMO. The rules changes are there to enrich athletic departments. All the blame needs to be placed at the feet of school Presidents and administrators. They wouldnt have to agree to anything with a. TV network, they are the ones selling out to them.

The TV networks are only doing what they should be doing, trying to maximize profits for their shareholders.

ticketfrog123

I got banned last year for calling out duggan against KSU.

Great double standard. Amateur hour over here to not defend Chandler for some odd reason

Maniac has permanently left this site from what I have heard

Wexahu

I got banned last year for calling out duggan against KSU.

Great double standard. Amateur hour over here to not defend Chandler for some odd reason

Maniac has permanently left this site from what I have heard
You probably got banned for what was basically a 3-4 year crusade against the guy.

What was great about it is that he finished 2nd in the Heisman and made you look like a jackass.

ticketfrog123

You probably got banned for what was basically a 3-4 year crusade against the guy.

What was great about it is that he finished 2nd in the Heisman and made you look like a jackass.
Yeah I’m a jackass because he got sent to the practice squad already and put up 7 pts against UGA.

FCS teams did better against georgia than him

You’re definitely the participation trophy type. 2nd place!! Give him some hardware

Wexahu

Yeah I’m a jackass because he got sent to the practice squad already and put up 7 pts against UGA.

FCS teams did better against georgia than him

You’re definitely the participation trophy type. 2nd place!! Give him some hardware
He was the QB of the most successful TCU team in 80+ years. What he is doing in the NFL isn’t relevant.

Just imagine how many games we could have won last year if we had a decent t QB. LOL.

Yes, you’re a jackass.

ticketfrog123

He was the QB of the most successful TCU team in 80+ years. What he is doing in the NFL isn’t relevant.

Just imagine how many games we could have won last year if we had a decent t QB. LOL.

Yes, you’re a jackass.
Peach bowl team never lost by 60.

Neither did rose bowl. Not the most successful.