• The KillerFrogs

Hyman on Expansion/TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Dogfrog @ May 19 2010, 01:06 PM) [snapback]561646[/snapback]
Even Boone Pickens won't dictate what happens here unless he buys ESPN.
Could turn them into a wind farm ...

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(TopFrog @ May 19 2010, 01:09 PM) [snapback]561647[/snapback]
Could turn them into a wind farm ...

Chris Berman is already a wind farm.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ May 19 2010, 11:06 AM) [snapback]561646[/snapback]
As we witnessed in the 90's, it's every man for himself. That's what happens when you turn college football over to TV networks and conference power brokers. OU / OSU can continue playing every year just like OU will continue to play Texas. Even Boone Pickens won't dictate what happens here unless he buys ESPN. The Okla. legislature would rather have one school in the big time than to have both schools languish forever in a watered down Big 12.

LOL - The Oklahoma State Alum & supporters are a big voting block. Republican front runner Mary Fallin is an OSU alum.... Ever hear of Ann Richards? OSU is Texas' Baylor. The politicians can and will screw this up.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(RSF @ May 19 2010, 01:13 PM) [snapback]561648[/snapback]
Chris Berman is already a wind farm.

Think of the power generation and profits ...

Dogfrog

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 19 2010, 01:40 PM) [snapback]561652[/snapback]
LOL - The Oklahoma State Alum & supporters are a big voting block. Republican front runner Mary Fallin is an OSU alum.... Ever hear of Ann Richards? OSU is Texas' Baylor. The politicians can and will screw this up.

LMAO - The reality is OU has more clout than OSU and their clout would not allow politicians to hold them back in a mediocre conference.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ May 19 2010, 01:47 PM) [snapback]561701[/snapback]
LMAO - The reality is OU has more clout than OSU and their clout would not allow politicians to hold them back in a mediocre conference.

Not all OU supporters would want to give the finger to OSU.

YA

I might not be in agreement with WCJ, but on the OSU front he is correct. The legislators of Okie or the ones running have more OSU ties than OU.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(YA @ May 19 2010, 04:43 PM) [snapback]561725[/snapback]
I might not be in agreement with WCJ, but on the OSU front he is correct. The legislators of Okie or the ones running have more OSU ties than OU.

His comment was that OSU is Oklahoma's equivalent to Baylor in state political clout. Maybe so, but OU is Oklahoma's equivalent to UT. Fan base = political clout IMO.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ May 19 2010, 03:09 PM) [snapback]561730[/snapback]
His comment was that OSU is Oklahoma's equivalent to Baylor in state political clout. Maybe so, but OU is Oklahoma's equivalent to UT. Fan base = political clout IMO.

Texas was joined at the hip politically with Baylor. OU is joined at the hip with OSU. Texas was able to muscle into the Big 12 with the Baylor baggage because:
a. Texas is Texas, the cherry on top of the conference realignment sundae, and;
b. The Big 12 standards allowed for a piss poor program like Baylor.

OU has nowhere near the clout of UT. The Oklahoma market isn't that attractive. And the SEC's standards are much higher than the Big 12's.

Conclusions - OU ain't going anywhere.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 19 2010, 06:03 PM) [snapback]561744[/snapback]
Texas was joined at the hip politically with Baylor. OU is joined at the hip with OSU. Texas was able to muscle into the Big 12 with the Baylor baggage because:
a. Texas is Texas, the cherry on top of the conference realignment sundae, and;
b. The Big 12 standards allowed for a piss poor program like Baylor.

OU has nowhere near the clout of UT. The Oklahoma market isn't that attractive. And the SEC's standards are much higher than the Big 12's.

Conclusions - OU ain't going anywhere.

Not sure why you're so concerned about OSU, but it's touching. My point is schools being joined at the hip won't exist as much in the future, it's every man for himself. I made no comment about OU clout vs. UT clout. That goes without saying. The topic here is OU vs. OSU. Sure, Baylor tagged along to the Big 12 based on political pull, but if you are old enough you will remember that competitively, back then, UT and Baylor's programs were almost identical. They both pretty much sucked. Both won 34 games over 91-95.

As I've said many times, none of this is likely to happen, but I just think the idea that schools will allow themselves to be left out of the big money just to stay with an in-state partner is a thing of the past unless ESPN deems it so.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(HornedFrog Pride @ May 19 2010, 08:38 PM) [snapback]561764[/snapback]
Excuse you? I happen to be a state prosecutor.

I can't tell if you're joking, or if you didn't get my joke

Frog_Fan71

QUOTE(HornedFrog Pride @ May 19 2010, 08:38 PM) [snapback]561764[/snapback]
Excuse you? I happen to be a state prosecutor.

I'll take "Therapist" for 800 Alex!

HornedFrog Pride

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ May 19 2010, 09:15 PM) [snapback]561775[/snapback]
I can't tell if you're joking, or if you didn't get my joke

No, I didn't get the joke and being in my position being called a rapist is something I'd rather not be called. Sorry I missed the joke. I thought you were making fun of my picture, as others have on here.

Frog_Fan71

QUOTE(HornedFrog Pride @ May 19 2010, 10:04 PM) [snapback]561801[/snapback]
No, I didn't get the joke and being in my position being called a rapist is something I'd rather not be called. Sorry I missed the joke. I thought you were making fun of my picture, as others have on here.

It's an old Will Ferrell skit of Jeopardy from Sat Night Live. The category is "Therapist" and a person playing Sean Connery, asks for "The Rapist" with a Scottish accent. Quite funny and a classic skit.

Cougar/Frog

Since the SEC is on record saying that they will copy whatever size the Big Ten goes to, a Big Ten (16) will lead directly to a SEC -16 and teams such as OU, OSU, and A&M will be prime targets. Add in an ACC or Big East squad (WVU or Va Tech) and the SEC would be good to go....

Houston Frog

QUOTE(HornedFrog Pride @ May 19 2010, 10:04 PM) [snapback]561801[/snapback]

You said, Oh you ain't going anywhere, was "your line". I thought you were making a joke about how you pick up chicks or something. I actually thought it was a funny joke, but that it could be misinterpreted.

I was not actually implying you might rape people.