• The KillerFrogs

Hyman on Expansion/TCU

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(Dutch @ May 17 2010, 12:49 PM) [snapback]560719[/snapback]
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/po...lks-realignment

This is what drives the train of expansion. Money and who can get more of it. No one is going to take less for "competative" reasons, despite any rhetoric.

"...Hyman said the SEC is the best in the country from a marketing and television standpoint and Texas’ demands may be too much for the members to accept.

The SEC has a very different revenue sharing agreement from the Big 12, which makes concessions for Texas..."

WColeman

If that team were to move from the Big 12, Hyman said he thinks the Horned Frogs would be near the top of that conference’s wish list.

Man, apparently he's been gone quite a while!

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(Section 31 @ May 17 2010, 01:07 PM) [snapback]560733[/snapback]
Man, apparently he's been gone quite a while!

Its a poorly written article but despite everyone falling all over one remark by Beebe that was basically retracted, yes if Mizzery leaves TCU will be on the wish list and probably near the top.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ May 17 2010, 11:12 AM) [snapback]560736[/snapback]
Its a poorly written article but despite everyone falling all over one remark by Beebe that was basically retracted, yes if Mizzery leaves TCU will be on the wish list and probably near the top.

TCU has no friends in the Big 12. In fact, we have multiple rivals trying to keep us down. A&M, Baylor, Tech, are all threatened by an emerging TCU. The Big 12 North would rather add any team from any state except Texas. Anyone who thinks that TCU is near the top of the Big 12's target list has drunk a bit too much of the purple cool aid. We arn't getting in unless the B12 South implodes (with luck that might happen).

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(Gunner @ May 17 2010, 01:21 PM) [snapback]560745[/snapback]
What did Beebe say in his retraction. Didn't see that?

TCU better be careful who they get in bed with... :unsure:

It comes down to

money.jpg

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 17 2010, 01:24 PM) [snapback]560751[/snapback]
TCU has no friends in the Big 12. In fact, we have multiple rivals trying to keep us down. A&M, Baylor, Tech, are all threatened by an emerging TCU. The Big 12 North would rather add any team from any state except Texas. Anyone who thinks that TCU is near the top of the Big 12's target list has drunk a bit too much of the purple cool aid. We arn't getting in unless the B12 South implodes (with luck that might happen).

By your logic the b12 will bring in the weakest team possible so they will not be threatened by them and everyone moves up a notch. Sorry, but that isn't the goal of either the network or the conference.

talor

QUOTE(Gehörnter Frosch @ May 17 2010, 12:55 PM) [snapback]560724[/snapback]
So basically, what he's saying is, TCU will go to the Big East.

Sweeeeet!!!

No. I only hope that I cannot detect your sarcasm over the interweb.

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ May 17 2010, 12:46 PM) [snapback]560775[/snapback]
By your logic the b12 will bring in the weakest team possible so they will not be threatened by them and everyone moves up a notch. Sorry, but that isn't the goal of either the network or the conference.

Besides, they've already got the weakest team possible: Baylor.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ May 17 2010, 11:46 AM) [snapback]560775[/snapback]

By your logic, TCU is an attractive alternative for the B12 because of Athletic performance. Is that how Rutgers is getting into the Big 10? Athletic performance? The conferences could care-a-less about athletic performance. That is why we are behind Utah, BYU, Memphis, Louisville, Colorado State, plus probably more. I'll say it again, we ain't getting into the Big 12 unless the South implodes.

QUOTE(TCUTalor @ May 17 2010, 01:54 PM) [snapback]560780[/snapback]
No. I only hope that I cannot detect your sarcasm over the interweb.
Manually disconnect the power from your sarcasmeter, wait 30-60 seconds, reconnect and try again. :wink:

Cougar/Frog

If Texas and A&M leave the Big 12, along with Nebraska, CU, and Mizzo, the Big 12 will aggressively pursue TCU. Of course, if that all happens, OU will be out the door as well, so I don't think the Big 12 will be worth joining. Without Nebraska, OU, Texas, and A&M, the AQ status will be long gone, as will the TV money. No reasonable TV exec is going to want to lay out money for Texas Tech vs. Iowa St.

And if the Pac-10 and SEC are in Texas, the Big 12 will be lucky to get any coverage in DFW, Houston, Austin, or San Antonio.

Ranking value of the schools in Texas in terms of TV value, I make it
1. Texas
2. Texas A&M
3. TCU
4. Tech/Houston/SMU
5. Baylor/North Texas/Rice/UTEP

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 17 2010, 02:21 PM) [snapback]560794[/snapback]
By your logic, TCU is an attractive alternative for the B12 because of Athletic performance. Is that how Rutgers is getting into the Big 10? Athletic performance? The conferences could care-a-less about athletic performance. That is why we are behind Utah, BYU, Memphis, Louisville, Colorado State, plus probably more. I'll say it again, we ain't getting into the Big 12 unless the South implodes.

No, I said TCU is building a name brand and that is beyond athletic performance, but obviously related. TCU is building a national following and ESPN recognizes this fact (and you ignore). It is about money, which is primarily about TV. You can say anything you want but in reality it is recognized by just about anyone but you that TCU is more than a viable option if just Neb & Miz leave. Sorry you can't grasp that.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ May 17 2010, 06:25 PM) [snapback]560755[/snapback]
It comes down to
money.jpg

All we're talking about is $90k? We can come up with that kind of coin, surely!