• The KillerFrogs

How big will the Boise-TCU game be for Boise?

texasrobster1997

Has anyone noticed the lack of press for Boise since the Nevada loss and our Rose bowl win? Combine that with their average recruiting class and I wonder if their star is fading. I actually like Boise and I don't relish this thought. If we beat them on their turf, that could add to this downward momentum and set their program way back. Momentum is key as we all know...

Planks

Has anyone noticed the lack of press for Boise since the Nevada loss and our Rose bowl win? Combine that with their average recruiting class and I wonder if their star is fading. I actually like Boise and I don't relish this thought. If we beat them on their turf, that could add to this downward momentum and set their program way back. Momentum is key as we all know...

That "average recruiting class" is the best recruiting class that Boise has ever had. I doubt a lack of media press or a home loss to us is going to hurt them much. Chris Petersan has built a top notch program there, and as long as they have him, they are going to be competitive.

texasrobster1997

That "average recruiting class" is the best recruiting class that Boise has ever had. I doubt a lack of media press or a home loss to us is going to hurt them much. Chris Petersan has built a top notch program there, and as long as they have him, they are going to be competitive.
This class is comparable to their 2009 class. Good, not great. My point is this. They have not one, but two BCS bowl titles and yet their recruiting seems to have peaked. I'm not sure they can go much higher unless they get to a BCS conference and even then...

Tcu has been steadily rising in the recruiting arena. Yes, yes, I know the stars mean nothing, but they do correlate with perception. Our Rose bowl bump had infinitely more impact than either of Boise's wins. I think this is a sign of a schools potential IMO (I.e., how far can you go and is it sustainable). If Boise starts losing, their star may fall very quickly and that is why they must beat us next year.

fanatical frog

Boise will be successful for as long as Coach Petersen stays there....assuming he declined Stanford I'd imagine he plans to be there for a long time.

I don't put much stock into recruiting rankings I just watch how they perform in the fall of the year.

With that said, this game will be very large for Boise. They were frustrated last year. They were frustrated in our Fiesta Bowl because they wanted to beat a big name BCS school ....and we both got screwed on that count. So they have a bit of a frustration load and might feel the need for some validation along about that time.

And the winner of that game will likely get a BCS bowl......

Houston Frog

This class is comparable to their 2009 class. Good, not great. My point is this. They have not one, but two BCS bowl titles and yet their recruiting seems to have peaked. I'm not sure they can go much higher unless they get to a BCS conference and even then...

Tcu has been steadily rising in the recruiting arena. Yes, yes, I know the stars mean nothing, but they do correlate with perception. Our Rose bowl bump had infinitely more impact than either of Boise's wins. I think this is a sign of a schools potential IMO (I.e., how far can you go and is it sustainable). If Boise starts losing, their star may fall very quickly and that is why they must beat us next year.

I think that TCU has always had a higher ceiling as a program, just because of the location of the school in a fertile recruiting area and the fact that we have a beautiful campus, top notch facilities, and are a very good academic institution. Boise is always going to be fighting an uphill battle in that regard, and we should always be able to outrecruit them as long as we are having success on the field.

That being said, I don't buy that Boise has peaked just because they haven't gotten a ton of press over the last month and a half and their recruiting class rankings haven't skyrocketed. They've become a very good program, and that was done even though they were fighting a huge public perception battle of being the crappy little school in Idaho with no tradition. Now they've got multiple BCS wins and should continue to trend upward as a program as long as Petersen stays there.

Cougar/Frog

Don't forget that Boise is no longer the property of ESPN --- the hype train is over. While Boise will be on ESPN 2 or 3 times, that is it.

So, no need to promote Boise any more.....

TCURiggs

That game will be huge for both of us, and I can't wait for it to get here. Simple Kellen scares me though. That mouth breather is hell of a QB, and I doubt they have a big dropoff even though they lost some key guys.

HoustonHornedFrog

1) Why would anyone who is a TCU fan be in the very least concerned about how the Boise program may or may not be affected by a loss to TCU? Boise's status matters to TCU next year because they are in the same conference and our game against Boise has the potential to determine who, if anyone, gets the non-AQ automatic spot in the BCS bowls next year.

2) The chances of Boise being undefeated going into next years' TCU v Boise game on the blue turf is far better than 50/50 given their schedule and the number of returning starters they have. It is also considerably better IMO than TCU's chance of being undefeated at that time. Depending on how high they start in the pre-season rankings, they could very well lose the game to TCU and still get to a BCS bowl if TCU has more than one loss on the season.

3) After next year we get Zero benefit from Boise continuing to rise as a program, or for that matter staying at the level they are now. Under the current BCS system, we are better off with Boise and all the other non-AQ schools (and ND) not being high enough ranked to get an automatic bid for a BCS game. The fewer teams that qualify from outside the AQ conferences, the more at-large bids there are for AQ conference teams and the higher chance that the Big East gets two teams in BCS Bowl games which puts more money in our pockets. Now having two Big East BCS bowl teams seems like a real long shot given the state of the league this past year, but things go in cycles and in two or three years having 4 at large spots instead of 3 could make the difference.

4) Boise does have a limit to how high their program can go being outside the big money conferences, but losing one game next year to TCU won't be any more the death of their program than losing to TCU in the Poinsettia Bowl was after the 2008 season. Why any TCU fan would be worried about what happens to Boise if we beat them, remains a mystery.

texasrobster1997

Why any TCU fan would be worried about what happens to Boise if we beat them, remains a mystery.
What me worry? I think you are misinterpreting a thread about Boise on a snowy slow news day as concern. Interest, yes, concern, no. I still think Boise is one or two seasons from becoming much less relevant in college football and I am interested in their story line.

fanatical frog

TCU, Utah and Boise have been the cinderella story of college football over the past half dozen years. Great rags-to-riches stories even if ESPN has done it's dead level best to ignore it and bury the story. The little man bucking the odds and overcoming efforts of "the man" to keep them down....great American success stories.

With TCU and Utah moving on up that leaves only Boise with the Cinderella tag.....it's still an interesting story to me and one I have interest in following.

The Boise fan base shows a lot of class and I wish them all the best in the future....except, of course, for our last game with them.

neo926

Depends on the record of both teams when the game goes down, I suppose. If we were both to have 2-3 losses at that point in time, probably won't be all that big. If we're both undefeated or have 1-loss, then it'll be pretty big.

Cougar/Frog

TCU, Utah and Boise have been the cinderella story of college football over the past half dozen years. Great rags-to-riches stories even if ESPN has done it's dead level best to ignore it and bury the story. The little man bucking the odds and overcoming efforts of "the man" to keep them down....great American success stories.

With TCU and Utah moving on up that leaves only Boise with the Cinderella tag.....it's still an interesting story to me and one I have interest in following.

Didn't quite want to bring it up, but ESPN has a new program to hype, one with which it has had a very long relationship, given that ESPN's first ever college game featured this team. And ESPN is paying them a lot of money and setting up games for them. If this school wins its first 5 games, it will be getting a ton of ESPN hype on a daily basis...

ESPN really does not need Boise anymore....

joejordan

As long as they are in a non AQ conference, one game, in any season, will make or break them. We're just probably the biggest hurdle they have next year.

Army Frog Fan

Didn't quite want to bring it up, but ESPN has a new program to hype, one with which it has had a very long relationship, given that ESPN's first ever college game featured this team. And ESPN is paying them a lot of money and setting up games for them. If this school wins its first 5 games, it will be getting a ton of ESPN hype on a daily basis...

ESPN really does not need Boise anymore....

Are we talking a-B-out pol-Y-gamist U?

As long as they are in a non AQ conference, one game, in any season, will make or break them. We're just probably the biggest hurdle they have next year.

So you're saying teams in non AQ conferences only need to get up for one game a season? Welcome to what every BCS conference team has been saying about TCU for the past 5 years.