• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

OmniscienceFrog

Hawaii is a state flagship founded by the Merrill act. One of only 4 universities ( the other 3 being Penn St, Cornell and Oregon St) that is land grant, sea grant, space grant, and sun grant. They are R1 research. They have a law school and an M.D. school. The entire Hawaii system has 50,000 students. TCU has shared a conference with Hawaii and San Diego St in the past. They have strong TV ratings.

Hawaii certainly knows what football is as they produce some great talent including a Heisman winner in Mariota, and Tua, who won the national title and was the MVP of that game. Tua also was Orange Bowl MVP and won the Maxwell and Walter camp awards as well as SEC offensive player of the year. Both of these guys came out of Hawaii high school football. Hawaii high school football produces some of the most elite talent in the country.

If you want a minor league school look towards Memphis, Boise or the Florida directionals.
So, why are the people making the decisions not as enlightened as you and making the correct decisions on who to invite into the conference?

Last edited:

OmniscienceFrog

Iowa State fan. One of the best moments of the Big 12's history was reading about TCU's invite to the Big 12 and the celebration of TCU students and alums. Del Conte's story on how it unfolded was great. When Del Conte went to Texas, I thought it was great news as was hoping Del Conte would help keep the Big 12 stable. Totally bummed with UT sneaking to the SEC under him. Curious what TCU fans think now of Del Conte. Was he just not strong enough to fend off the President and UT BOR or was he in cahoots and screw any past association? I am sure it has been discussed here but not going to read all the past posts.
Nobody is strong enough to fend off the UT Pres and BOR when they decide they want to do something. In the overall scheme of things Del Conte was just along for the ride.

OmniscienceFrog

On June 30, 2020, the city of San Diego approved the sale of the SDCCU Stadium site to San Diego State University and on August 10, 2020, the university officially took control of the property.[5] San Diego State bought the entire 135 acres, including the existing stadium, from the city for $88 million. Groundbreaking on the new stadium took place on August 17, 2020, just one week after SDSU took control of the site.

The entire $3.5 billion SDSU Mission Valley project includes housing, office and retail space, hotels, and 80 acres of parks and open space, including a 34 acre river park on city property, and will be developed in phases over 10-15 years.[6] The stadium will seat 35,000 fans and is being built to support college football, non-football NCAA championship games, professional soccer and special events such as concerts.[7][8] The stadium was designed to be expandable to a capacity of 55,000 or more (complete with a plan and renderings for such an expansion) to accommodate a prospective NFL return to San Diego and/or future needs of the Aztecs football team.[9]

Aztec Stadium is scheduled to open September 3, 2022.

Construction cost $310 million
yada, yada, yada! There might be two people who give a flip about inviting SDSU. But you keep on keepin on.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Hawaii is a state flagship founded by the Merrill act. One of only 4 universities ( the other 3 being Penn St, Cornell and Oregon St) that is land grant, sea grant, space grant, and sun grant. They are R1 research. They have a law school and an M.D. school. The entire Hawaii system has 50,000 students. TCU has shared a conference with Hawaii and San Diego St in the past. They have strong TV ratings.

Hawaii certainly knows what football is as they produce some great talent including a Heisman winner in Mariota, and Tua, who won the national title and was the MVP of that game. Tua also was Orange Bowl MVP and won the Maxwell and Walter camp awards as well as SEC offensive player of the year. Both of these guys came out of Hawaii high school football. Hawaii high school football produces some of the most elite talent in the country.

If you want a minor league school look towards Memphis, Boise or the Florida directionals.
TN has more than 4 times as many active pros in the nfl than Hawaii does. Would you like to know how many Florida has in comparison? Hawaii is easily the worst option anyone has suggested.

I’ve been asking around a bit on the part of this that is still odd to me, which is the BYU angle. When they join, and if they join as a full member, is still up in the air I believe.

Based on previous conversations, I had believed BYU was only considering FBALL only membership and that the Big 12 preferred that… Now, that appears to potentially have changed, and I think ESPN is the catalyst. BYU has a TV deal with the mothership for football, and BYU distributes the rest of their content online and on their overall cable channel, BYUTV, but I believe ESPN would prefer if they are going to lose the BYU inventory that they “get” BYU onto the ESPN+ platform via the Big 12, and there may be some financial incentives being dangled to the Big 12 to help facilitate this. No idea what ultimately happens, as I believe BYU will ultimately have to cave on some of their preferences to join as a full member, but today’s LDSC is not the same LDSC from even 5-10 years ago.

Also an area for conflict right now: BYU future schedules. Gotta get out of some games to join in ‘22 or ‘23.

Will be interesting to see the ultimate timing of all this… I think the league believes that these additions will accelerate TX/OU exit talks, but we shall see. Regardless, the TV contract will need to get renegotiated sooner vs later, and it’s easier to do that as a clean sheet with a consistent member base. I ultimately believe, regardless of what is said publicly this week, that the 2024-2025 year will be the first year for the new Big 12 members, and the first year for TX/OU in the SEC (1 yr “early”).

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
[ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]. CDC entirely culpable. Traitor. Deceived us and ADJD. scheiss CDC forever.

CDC may have deceived us, may be a traitor, but I’m of the opinion the money men, et al believe only God has to consult with them on decisions of any importance…

OmniscienceFrog

‘No’ to UCF as an addition to B12. Are they even a D1 school?? Aren’t they akin to being the Texas State/UTSA of Florida that had a good run or two in a subpar conference? I’d rather have BYU and Cougar High (UH) than whatever and whoever UCF is. UH is in-state and a big market even if they are not a like-for-like replacement for UT or OU.
You need to get caught up a little.