• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

DeuceBoogieNights

This could be stopped if fans and the NCAA would stand up against it. The European super league was stopped by fans and FIFA. Unfortunately, Oklahoma, Texas and other big school fans see this as a good thing. I may have the purple blinders on, but I just don't see how this is good for the sport in the long run. I consider myself a fairly die hard college football fan, but I won't be watching a SEC Super League.

Waco Bear

I agree with a lot of your perspectives, and you seem like a decent person but what is with all this "we" stuff?

Where was this we when the SWC broke up? Where was this we when TCU was ranked 3rd in 2014 and Baylor threatened to sue if they were not bumped over TCU? FYI, Alvarez has three titles hanging at Wisconsin from his coaching days where he lost the head to head of the team he was tied with for first.

I have no desire to partner or tie TCU to Baylor in hopes of a new conference.

FYI, Baylor will not out draw UH in Houston. Plus playing a game in Waco does not help recruit in Houston markets. Yes, most on this board are hypocrites. They treat UH like they were stuck in the 90s, but don't like when other Texas schools treat TCU like they were stuck in the 80s.

I’m a guest here so I’m not gonna fill this board with Baylor content by defending my team - I am certain nobody that loves this message board community and calls it home wants that. By “we” I simply meant *both* schools - yours and mine. I do believe that our respective schools are best viewed as partners that, together, deliver Texas and the CST to other conferences in a way that we don’t on our own.

Paul in uhh

I agree with a lot of your perspectives, and you seem like a decent person but what is with all this "we" stuff?

Where was this we when the SWC broke up? Where was this we when TCU was ranked 3rd in 2014 and Baylor threatened to sue if they were not bumped over TCU? FYI, Alvarez has three titles hanging at Wisconsin from his coaching days where he lost the head to head of the team he was tied with for first.

I have no desire to partner or tie TCU to Baylor in hopes of a new conference.

FYI, Baylor will not out draw UH in Houston. Plus playing a game in Waco does not help recruit in Houston markets. Yes, most on this board are hypocrites. They treat UH like they were stuck in the 90s, but don't like when other Texas schools treat TCU like they were stuck in the 80s.
The difference between UH now and TCU before the b12 is that we were winning 10-12 games per year and were a fixture in the rankings. I can’t recall the last time UH was even ranked.

LVH

It's conceivable that when the "big schools" get their way virtually ALL the private schools will be "out" with maybe Notre Dame, USC and Stanford as the exceptions. First we'll have the consolidation of the big boys/football Blue Bloods (Texas, Bama, theOSU, Michigan, Fla St, Clemson, A&M, Okie, LSU, PennSt, Georgia, Florida, etc.), then it;ll be the purge of the "small" schools of the Power 4/5: yep BC, Duke, Wake, Syracuse, NWtern, Miami, TCU, Baylor, and even Vandy.
I'll STILL be a TCU fan and WON'T be watching this "new" concoction of major college football. I'd rather watch the sorry Washington Football Team. Wow, that's really an insult!

This is exactly how it will play out

tcufootballjh98

I have a hard time believing all 8 teams will stay put…even if that happens, I would be dead set against adding UH and SMU. DFW and Houston are our main recruiting bases and upgrading those programs to “our level” would really set us back recruiting-wise.

LVH

This could be stopped if fans and the NCAA would stand up against it. The European super league was stopped by fans and FIFA. Unfortunately, Oklahoma, Texas and other big school fans see this as a good thing. I may have the purple blinders on, but I just don't see how this is good for the sport in the long run. I consider myself a fairly die hard college football fan, but I won't be watching a SEC Super League.

There will be no 12 team playoff. It's not even official and when the end game of these super leagues happen they will create a playoff system for themselves that shuts everyone else out who isn't a part of the super league. The super league will become It's own division

JugbandFrog

At some point, the NFL needs to realize that any super conference is bad for their business. If there is a super league, more talent collects in those teams (won’t be long before players don’t even get/need a scholarship, so they will stockpile talent because they can OR they raise the scholarship limits).

More than a few talented players just sit and rot on the bottom of these rosters.

Thanks great info. As my brother and I spend all our time managing our family and their interests over the past 5 years I have been pretty well oblivious to much of this. I have believed for some time our little school ultimately would not have a place at the table long term, based mainly on the Big 10 and their 2014 additions of Rutgers and Maryland for potential TV eyes, student body size and proximity to population centers mainly. I saw that as an inexorable trend.
I guess I feel better about one thing. Any additonal success on the gridiron over the last 5 years, maybe in the form of another Big 12 title or even a single playoff appearance may not have helped. I have been frustrated with our schools decision to be parochial and small time in terms of athletic vision but in the end it may not have mattered, short of some Miami type run where the entire country was forced to take notice.

Fans can be forgiven for missing it, that’s totally fair. Admins? Fired.

I have a hard time believing all 8 teams will stay put…even if that happens, I would be dead set against adding UH and SMU. DFW and Houston are our main recruiting bases and upgrading those programs to “our level” would really set us back recruiting-wise.

We already give you guys problems with recruiting, put us in the same conference and we'll clean TCU's clock on a regular basis.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
We already give you guys problems with recruiting, put us in the same conference and we'll clean TCU's clock on a regular basis.
200.gif

HG73

2018 Cougs? Lol

This is why I like the service academies as additions to the Late 8. Much more competitive now, national audiences, better than AAC attendance and excellent academics. Late 8 could probably negotiate a reduced payout to the academies in return for national exposure. And it's not like they need the money.

Bob Sugar

This is why I like the service academies as additions to the Late 8. Much more competitive now, national audiences, better than AAC attendance and excellent academics. Late 8 could probably negotiate a reduced payout to the academies in return for national exposure. And it's not like they need the money.
Air Force and Navy would probably go for it. Army still has a sour taste in their mouth after how bad the C-USA experience was for them. Although that experience was ultimately caused by the new head coach trying to install a spread-pass offense with option recruits. They remain the only college team to ever go 0-13 (extra game for playing at Hawaii that year). It took them about 3 more head coaches and 15 years to get back to a dominant option offense.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Some basic facts of life about the service academies:

Small student population--4300-4800 enrolled at any given time.

Service academy students will support their teams because it's expected.

Service academy graduates may support their teams regardless of who they play. Like all colleges, some grads won't give a darn about their school's sports after graduation.

Military non-academy folks might root for their service when the academies play each other for the CINC Trophy. Most common when folks from different services are assigned to the same organization or in close proximity.