• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Eight

The new guy appears to barely be able to spell Pac 12... Not impressed so far.

"While George has deep sports experience, his biggest asset is his ability to listen, connect with diverse groups, find common ground, collaborate and navigate an evolving landscape."

from the president of uo who said the pac was seeking someone different from the conventional college administrator.

laugh when i read "diverse groups" with the pac

FBallFan123

The new guy appears to barely be able to spell Pac 12... Not impressed so far.

I don’t know, I thought the early reviews were generally positive because Kliavkoff, despite being an unknown prior to being hired, seemed to get the importance of football/basketball right off the bat.

Pac 12 hasn’t won national championships in either in a loooooong time.

The remaining Big 12 teams are still better than the entire Pac 12 in basketball … and adding depth could help football in terms of getting more CFP bids, which Kliavkoff has talked about …

Last edited:

Bob Sugar

if there is one thing kfc knows it’s diversity.
d24b0644dda51a4873495af5677f7f83.gif

HG73

Maybe, but not adding anyone from the B12, wouldn't bury it in my opinion. You would struggle to convince me that a hypothetical conference of:
Ok St
TCU
UCF
Baylor
Boise
Cinci
Memphis
Tech
KSU
UH
USF
KU

is not as good as the current Pac-12, top to bottom, the last 4-5 years. Same for the ACC and Big 10, but to a lesser extent. Sure, you don't have the brands of USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon, but the conference above would draw way more tv money than what the current AAC brings in.
Where's WV & ISU?

HG73

Oops. Even better.
Right, now we don't need UH & USF.

Personally I would add one more team, anybody but BYU or another Texas team to get to 9 teams. Ride out the BIG12 contract, use the basketball credits, and be ready to scoop up the Washington States and Georgia Techs that will be available.

Last edited:

Spike

Maybe, but not adding anyone from the B12, wouldn't bury it in my opinion. You would struggle to convince me that a hypothetical conference of:
Ok St
TCU
UCF
Baylor
Boise
Cinci
Memphis
Tech
KSU
UH
USF
KU

is not as good as the current Pac-12, top to bottom, the last 4-5 years. Same for the ACC and Big 10, but to a lesser extent. Sure, you don't have the brands of USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon, but the conference above would draw way more tv money than what the current AAC brings in.

Several good programs in there but not a lot of sex appeal.

Spike

Personally I would add one more team, anybody but BYU or another Texas team to get to 9 teams. Ride out the BIG12 contract, use the basketball credits, and be ready to scoop up the Washington States and Georgia Techs that will be available.

Not sure why everyone bagging on UH. They've done a lot to upgrade their school and campus. Have a neat little stadium. I remember them virtually filling Reliant against us in 2007. It was like everyone who had ever taken a class there showed up and cheered for them.

Spike

Is getting that spread out geographically a good thing? Nothing against either Ga Tech or WSU but they are opposite ends of country.

Brevity Frog

If you are ESPN, would you rather:

- Incentivize the PAC 12 to go to 16-18 in the CT zone and pay the premium for that, plus buy/license the Pac Network into ESPN+ (same deal offered years ago, but lower terms), which means Fox is boxed out after the Big Ten deal, OR

- Incentivize the Big 12 to stay together with its current members + a few adds... Likely Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and maybe (prepare yourself) UCONN or BYU... This path means you are going to pass on the PAC 12 A-tier rights and let FOX go it alone, probably, and maybe just get some basketball and other content for ESPN+. Fox would likely buy the Pac Network, streamline it into 1-2 channels, and fold it into its rights negotiations with cable operators.

This is a large, looming question. One route is likely much more expensive for ESPN but is more of a big bet that could pay off long term + completes your CFB roster. The other is cheaper by far, and thus will likely have a higher ROI, but could have long-term impacts that are undesirable as a rights holder.

ESPN wants to own College Football, right? Clearly that is option 1. Option 1 also disincentivizes the desire for a tortious interference suit.