• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Paul in uhh

the visionaries left school and started businesses leaving those who wanted to pontificate about how a business should be run or the proper role of athletics on an academic campus to run the schools

Agreed that those teaching in business often are a step behind or out of touch completely.

hard to have time to teach when you’re busy running your own billion dollar enterprise.

If you are ESPN, would you rather:

- Incentivize the PAC 12 to go to 16-18 in the CT zone and pay the premium for that, plus buy/license the Pac Network into ESPN+ (same deal offered years ago, but lower terms), which means Fox is boxed out after the Big Ten deal, OR

- Incentivize the Big 12 to stay together with its current members + a few adds... Likely Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and maybe (prepare yourself) UCONN or BYU... This path means you are going to pass on the PAC 12 A-tier rights and let FOX go it alone, probably, and maybe just get some basketball and other content for ESPN+. Fox would likely buy the Pac Network, streamline it into 1-2 channels, and fold it into its rights negotiations with cable operators.

This is a large, looming question. One route is likely much more expensive for ESPN but is more of a big bet that could pay off long term + completes your CFB roster. The other is cheaper by far, and thus will likely have a higher ROI, but could have long-term impacts that are undesirable as a rights holder.

To add to this: If you are another team in a Power 5 conference (not Big 12), or one of the other four commissioners, you strongly prefer to end the Big 12... But, you don't want extreme dilution of your conference to do so! Then a Power 4 can attach to the new CFP more easily, less big hands at the table. This will be easier said than done... Not everyone is on the same page, and even something as simple as WVU to the ACC or KU to the BIG is going to be much harder than it sounds.

FWIW, from folks I'm talking to, the schools with the most uncertain paths (and thus fighting most aggressively for keeping the Big 12) are (in no order): KSU, Baylor, TxTech.

Bob Sugar

To add to this: If you are another team in a Power 5 conference (not Big 12), or one of the other four commissioners, you strongly prefer to end the Big 12... But, you don't want extreme dilution of your conference to do so! Then a Power 4 can attach to the new CFP more easily, less big hands at the table. This will be easier said than done... Not everyone is on the same page, and even something as simple as WVU to the ACC or KU to the BIG is going to be much harder than it sounds.

FWIW, from folks I'm talking to, the schools with the most uncertain paths (and thus fighting most aggressively for keeping the Big 12) are (in no order): KSU, Baylor, TxTech.
tenor.gif

Wonder if Fox tries to make a power play and incentivize the B1G to add Cal, USC, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon. That gives fox and the big 10 all of the big time brands on the west coast and cuts the dead weight of Washington state, oregon state, and the others that do not bring great ratings. Fox could have B1G games on from noon eastern until 1 AM the next day.

Edit: The remaining PAC 12 teams and the remaining Big 12 teams could join up as a best of the rest conference. Doubt anything this drastic happens, but this would be the power play from Fox.

FOX would love it, but I don't think the big BIG schools would go for it. Not a cultural fit.

When it comes to University Presidents in this whole thing, don't forget how much THEY think about "culture" and "fit," and how each conference handled the pandemic plays into decisions of who to affiliate yourself with. This is, by far, the biggest disadvantage to the PAC. The BIG learned a tough lesson in 2020 they don't want to repeat.

TCU really benefits with a nationally visible winning sports program as a front porch, but it has always been a mountainous task to compete in football against flagship universities. TCU would have been wise in 2012 to recognize we got lucky with Patterson in the short term as it got us national visibility, grew the university... but now what? TCU needed to recognize basketball may be the longterm ticket for national visibility - certainly could not bank on getting lucky with another football coach. Should have razed Daniel Meyer and built the swankiest new basketball arena and practice gym to lure a coach and recruits, and bring enthusiasm to alumni and students.

The inevitable conference realignment and now NIL just punctuate the need for basketball. NIL deals for 15 basketball players is easy enough, and can be done as a team - each player the same deal. TCU can compete and be on equal footings with all. Think Duke, Gonzaga and now Baylor.

Last edited:

Froggish

I'm not sure there is much difference between the schools with "the most uncertain paths" and the ones with the most certain paths. Everyone is in trouble here because as you said, the best thing for all of the other conferences is to bury the B12 and its remaining 8 as far under ground as possible. I have no doubt that ESPN is running around trying to incentivize the other conferences not to take any of the other 8.

Paul in uhh

I might start believing in karma if we go to the PAC and Baylor and tech are forced to the MWC/AAC

Bob Sugar

I'm not sure there is much difference between the schools with "the most uncertain paths" and the ones with the most certain paths. Everyone is in trouble here because as you said, the best thing for all of the other conferences is to bury the B12 and its remaining 8 as far under ground as possible. I have no doubt that ESPN is running around trying to incentivize the other conferences not to take any of the other 8.
Maybe, but not adding anyone from the B12, wouldn't bury it in my opinion. You would struggle to convince me that a hypothetical conference of:
Ok St
TCU
UCF
Baylor
Boise
Cinci
Memphis
Tech
KSU
UH
USF
KU

is not as good as the current Pac-12, top to bottom, the last 4-5 years. Same for the ACC and Big 10, but to a lesser extent. Sure, you don't have the brands of USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon, but the conference above would draw way more tv money than what the current AAC brings in.

In response, the Big 12/8 should go to the deep pockets of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Fox and see how good of a deal they could get, ESPN is an outdated cable network, time to leverage other options, this ain’t 2008

Unfortunately, this isn't an option. I know you see WSJ columnists talk about it and it might make sense theoretically, but strategically it doesn't.

Netflix: Their model isn't built on live events, never will be

Amazon: Licensed the worst NFL package to prop up Prime, but isn't getting into producing any of that content. Not showing interest in any other live content at the moment

Hulu: See Netflix

Fox: No digital sports strategy worth talking about

The one you didn't mention was Apple, which did approach the PAC 12 about buying the PAC 12 network but I can tell you those conversations didn't go far... $$ wasn't right, Apple has no understanding of live sports.

If you have a bunch of generally watchable sports rights, you have the following US based options:

- ESPN: ABC, ESPN cable, ESPN+... They own the ACC, SEC, the current CFP, and will do literally whatever it takes to get the new CFP... Expect the new CFP to earn DOUBLE or more what the current one does.

- Fox Sports: Traditional linear and FS1 cable... They own the BIG in large part and parts of the Big 12 and PAC currently

- CBS: Traditional linear CBS + "entertainment" cable networks like TNT and TBS and now Paramount+... Bit player for the SEC (for now), heading towards greater irrelevance in college football

- NBC: Notre Dame through 2025, but that's it... They seem content with a few tentpole properties (NFL, Golf, Olympics) and I'm guessing that's all they will do in the future as they sunset NBC Sports Network and limit their content options to Peacock and the NBC linear network + maybe their cable networks. Welcome to College Football on the USA Network? Probably not.

Everybody else is out of the game.

There is lots of talk in the industry right now that ESPN is going to corner the market (SEC+ACC+CFP) which is about 66% of viewing audiences for College Football), let FOX take the BIG which they are going to do anyway, and then dabble in the rest with no other network getting deep into college football as there isn't the incentive since ESPN owns the college football postseason.

What this forgets is that live sports, and college sports for sure, is still appointment viewing and brings in big audiences vs more traditional programming... Without strong live sports programming, it's hard to chart your future in television.

For me, I think the thesis that ESPN might be "done" after ACC+SEC+CFP has some weight to it, if only from a financial perspective, but FOX still has plenty of slots to fill on multiple channels and there is no better way to do it in the next five years than college football. Also, keep an eye on CBS... They are already big in the West, and they have a cable network and a moderate digital operation they are investing in. Could they look to the PAC and make them a can't miss offer: Saturday game of the week, the Saturday primetime slot, and lots more on the CBS Sports Network and Paramount+? I could see a FOX+CBS deal for the "expanded" PAC for sure.

Anyways, back to work.

Last edited:
I figured Tech would easily be the best positioned school to find a new home.

Not terrible competitive over time where it matters, don't spend $$ like the big guys, lots of "history" that makes them look like a bit player... And, again from a University President perspective, their academics are real, real bad.

This is fair/true.

Eight

Maybe, but not adding anyone from the B12, wouldn't bury it in my opinion. You would struggle to convince me that a hypothetical conference of:
Ok St
TCU
UCF
Baylor
Boise
Cinci
Memphis
Tech
KSU
UH
USF
KU

is not as good as the current Pac-12, top to bottom, the last 4-5 years. Same for the ACC and Big 10, but to a lesser extent. Sure, you don't have the brands of USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon, but the conference above would draw way more tv money than what the current AAC brings in.

you said something that i think serves as a source of irritation for many and that is "good enough". texas hasn't done [ Finebaum ] to prove they can compete in the sec yet they are considered a coup of the conference and espn. why? size of the brand.

same with usc and ucla who have struggled to be competitive. worst part is that quality of play doesn't seem to be as important as loyalty to who is playing

Froggish

Ok St
TCU
UCF
Baylor
Boise
Cinci
Memphis
Tech
KSU
UH
USF
KU

I think you're probably right but ESPN would only see that as "filler" content. Be prepared for a slew of Thursday night matchups and a take home of maybe 10-12M a year if we're lucky. For perspective the current AAC deal pays 7 million a year and the B12 was paying 37. Expectations for competitiveness going forward need to be drastically adjusted because we won't pay the bills at 10 million a year.