• The KillerFrogs

Hoops Expectations

Skip Jansen

Those 2 teams put all of their effort on defense. All of it. Then run a slowdown offense to keep them from getting worn down and maximize offensive possession efficiency. Players buy in and they recruit players who will execute it

It's similar to our football defense. Our football scheme requires max effort with the idea being you can maintain that defensive intensity every play as long as you limit the number of plays the opposing offense runs. If you have to defend too many plays though, players get worn out and the scheme collapses. But UVA and Tech do a good job at dictating pace.

I totally agree with about possession efficiency, as well as pace. As a matter of fact, pace is the biggest factor when determining the winner/loser of games IMO.

That being said, would it surprise you that TTU is ranked 52nd, in the country, in possessions per game? It did me. By the way, TCU is ranked 169th.

Last edited:

Wog68

On the subject of recruiting, does anyone know if we tried to recruit Drew Timme from Richardson who is playing big minutes for Gonzaga as a frosh?

Skip Jansen

question concerning prospect evaluation skip.

way, way back in the day when the 5-star camp was really the only big stage where college coaches could see the best of the best prospects matched head to head the story told was it was a huge advantage because you had players of similar size, physical skill sets etc.. going head to head.

now we have the travel teams and national tournament where you get a similar environment in terms of players matching up against player of physical skill sets, size, etc.... a guy like archie who might be playing close to the basket with his high school team gets to play out on the floor against true competition

i understand the defense often times is token, that there really isn't much structure offense, but i have been to a few with friends to watch their kids and you still could see which kids would be willing to compete, who was physically over matched, who could dribble and who could shoot.

ball is the same size, hoop is same diameter and height from the floor etc....so why does it seem there have been the number of misses when you have an environment that allows some comparison

this isn't like a kid who is a highly regarded defensive end prospect who never faces an offensive tackle who is college prospect talent wise during a real game or a hitter in baseball who never faces a pitcher who can throw a breaking pitch for a strike until he gets to college.

basketball to me has some very basic, transferable, individual skills that can be meausured against other college prospects

Eight-

That's a lot of stuff to unpack.

I made a post awhile back about AAU culture and some it's downfalls (emphasis isn't on winning due to number of games played in a single day, etc).

But, I think your question is regarding the way players are evaluated.

I also did a post recently about why I thought the recruiting services are flawed and how the star ratings are inaccurate and inefficient. The basic issues being that the recruiting services rate more on what they currently see, where college coaches and scouts are projecting what a player will become. The recruiting services also depend too much on which AAU team a particular kid plays for.

To be fair, it's harder to project kids on the AAU circuits, due to what you mentioned.

All that being said, player evaluation is the rarest of skills a coach can have. There are a lot of really good coaches who aren't good at talent evaluation.

So.... how do scouts project a player?

You hear scouts talk about "skinny ankles", "frame to grow into", "quick-twitch", etc. when describing players. I've known college coaches who who wouldn't offer a player because he was "already fully developed physically and wouldn't get any better". Everybody is different in what they are looking for.

Unfortunately, things like 'desire', 'toughness' and 'wanting to be the best' are harder to quantify. But, those are as big a factor in development as the physical skills.

One common denominator I have noticed over the years is-

Coaches who have specific skills they are looking for and recruit players that 'fit' what they want to do, seem to be the most successful.

Last edited:

Skip Jansen

On the subject of recruiting, does anyone know if we tried to recruit Drew Timme from Richardson who is playing big minutes for Gonzaga as a frosh?

Yes. The Frogs recruited him.

Always happy to see when a kid actually picks a school based on fit. Unfortunately, it's rare, but it usually works out.

Skip Jansen

Unfortunately, recruiting rankings are flawed.

TCU appears to sit in a basketball hotbed. The reality is, Texas kids are way overvalued by recruiting services.

The Texas AAU people do a great job of promoting the local kids. There are also several well funded AAU programs that provide the kids maximum exposure on the shoe circuits. But, in reality, the results tell a different story.

Here are a couple of examples of what I am talking about.

The current UT basketball roster has (6) guys from Texas that we're ranked (78) or better by recruiting analysts. Another one (Hamm) was ranked top 100 by several services.

Compare that to last year's TTU's roster that played in the NCAA finals. They had one Texan in their starting lineup (and Culver wasn't highly recruited).

Which team is better?

Also, the best college team in Texas this year (Baylor) has (1) Texan in their top (7).

6584873B-14DA-45EE-9E28-362BD3D1AFF3.jpeg

BA5433CB-1ECC-4720-B071-57EEB97486BA.jpeg

LVH

I totally agree with about possession efficiency, as well as pace. As a matter of fact, pace is the biggest factor when determining the winner/loser of games IMO.

That being said, would it surprise you that TTU is ranked 52nd, in the country, in possessions per game? It did me. By the way, TCU is ranked 169th.

KenPom has Texas Tech's adjusted tempo at 181 which puts them at the middle of D1. I think they need to go back to being in the 300s.

Too many coaches feel that playing slow scares away recruits, but unless you have absolute top level offensive talent and athleticism, teams have a better chance playing at slower paces. Virginia won a title last year with the slowest pace in the country.

I remember DePaul's coaches on Twitter a few years ago bragging that they had the fastest pace in the country. Then they go 0-18 in the Big East.

It reminds me of football how everyone thinks the solution to offense is to play at a fast pace. Anyone remember our 1998 basketball team? Fastest paced team in the country. Worked great against SWAC teams and most of the WAC, but we lost almost every time we played a team that could match up with us athletically.

Skip Jansen

KenPom has Texas Tech's adjusted tempo at 181 which puts them at the middle of D1. I think they need to go back to being in the 300s.

Too many coaches feel that playing slow scares away recruits, but unless you have absolute top level offensive talent and athleticism, teams have a better chance playing at slower paces. Virginia won a title last year with the slowest pace in the country.

I remember DePaul's coaches on Twitter a few years ago bragging that they had the fastest pace in the country. Then they go 0-18 in the Big East.

It reminds me of football how everyone thinks the solution to offense is to play at a fast pace. Anyone remember our 1998 basketball team? Fastest paced team in the country. Worked great against SWAC teams and most of the WAC, but we lost almost every time we played a team that could match up with us athletically.

Slower pace teams have an advantage because it's a lot easier to slow a team down than it is to speed them up.

It's virtually impossible to speed up either TTU and UVA. Like I mentioned in my previous comments, whoever controls the tempo usually controls the game.

And, like mentioned earlier. They both bring in kids that fit that mold. A perfect example are their points guards last year. Neither one of those kids was an elite athlete. But, they were great at recognition, decision making, and they kept their teams organized on both ends of the floor.

It's the difference between having a 'Program' and having a 'team' every year.

froggolf65

We need to find some kids that can shoot. Can remember that last guys we had that were pure shooters. Grayer has a good looking shot but too bad we only have him for 1 year and he has to play out of position.

Farmfrog

Nice thread, Skip.

The things I wonder about are game related and probably too boring so I won’t go there.

If you are a really top flight player why do you come to TCU? The lack of passion, tradition and less than good gameday atmosphere is a real problem for the program. All I can do is go to the game and be the best fan I can be.

Go Frogs!

Skip Jansen

Nice thread, Skip.

The things I wonder about are game related and probably too boring so I won’t go there.

If you are a really top flight player why do you come to TCU? The lack of passion, tradition and less than good gameday atmosphere is a real problem for the program. All I can do is go to the game and be the best fan I can be.

Go Frogs!

Farm-

That's a good question. Programs that don't have much tradition or history usually need some sort of spark to excite the fan base.

What do you think would make TCU basketball a must see program?

-Does the TCU coach need to be a P.T. Barnum type?

-Does TCU need to sign a 'name' or 'local legend' recruit?

-Does TCU just need to string together some consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances and win a few games?

What would do it?

I'm talking about the fan on the peripheral. I know you are gonna be there regardless.

Purp

I don't think tradition matters that much in building a great program. What tradition did Tech have before last year? Certainly nothing to suggest last year was possible going into the season. What basketball tradition did Baylor have before their renaissance? Stories like that are all over the college basketball landscape.

In basketball you can turn a program around with a great coach and a couple great players. Only 8-9 guys typically play in a regular rotation.

Given the recent investments into the program (facilities, coaches, etc.) We should expect championship (not NIT) level goals. We aren't there yet, but if that's not the expectation long term then we wasted the money.

Yes, attendance is abysmal. That's also true for just about every sports team at every level that doesn't win. If JD puts a team on the court like Beard did last year there wouldn't be an empty seat in the Scholl. It's not a chicken/egg situation. Win and everything changes. That's why CJD is here.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I don't think tradition matters that much in building a great program. What tradition did Tech have before last year? Certainly nothing to suggest last year was possible going into the season. What basketball tradition did Baylor have before their renaissance? Stories like that are all over the college basketball landscape.

In basketball you can turn a program around with a great coach and a couple great players. Only 8-9 guys typically play in a regular rotation.

Given the recent investments into the program (facilities, coaches, etc.) We should expect championship (not NIT) level goals. We aren't there yet, but if that's not the expectation long term then we wasted the money.

Yes, attendance is abysmal. That's also true for just about every sports team at every level that doesn't win. If JD puts a team on the court like Beard did last year there wouldn't be an empty seat in the Scholl. It's not a chicken/egg situation. Win and everything changes. That's why CJD is here.
Agree with this. I remember two distinct periods in TCU basketball history, one in the prime Killerfrogs era and then the Tubbs days, where it was hard to find a seat and the place was absolutely rocking each game. The connecting factor was a competitive team on the floor.

Wexahu

Farm-

That's a good question. Programs that don't have much tradition or history usually need some sort of spark to excite the fan base.

What do you think would make TCU basketball a must see program?

-Does the TCU coach need to be a P.T. Barnum type?

-Does TCU need to sign a 'name' or 'local legend' recruit?

-Does TCU just need to string together some consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances and win a few games?

What would do it?

I'm talking about the fan on the peripheral. I know you are gonna be there regardless.

Playing good basketball would be a start. Do that, and more wins will come. The last couple years it has gotten to the point where virtually every time it's a 2-3 possession game with 5 minutes to go, whether we are winning or losing, I just expect a loss. Poor offensive execution, stupid turnovers, defensive lapses, you name it, we figure out ways to lose.

I've expressed it before and I'm sure people are getting tired of it, but Jamie Dixon's teams haven't consistently played like well-coached teams for quite some time now. I don't know if that means he's not much of a coach or if he just has a penchant for recruiting kids with low basketball IQs, but for the money TCU is paying, we should at least get solid fundamental basketball.

Skip Jansen

Purp-

I don't disagree with a lot of your post but there are a couple of things I'm wondering about.

When you say- "We should expect championship level goals."

What exactly are you referring to? Texas Tech was in the final game. Is that the threshold?

You also used Texas Tech as an example of a program being successful without any tradition,

I would agree that they are not Kentucky, UNC, or Kansas, but they did have the all-time winningest collegiate coach in history (at that time) coach there.

Their AD during that time was also an extremely well respected basketball guy. Former President of the NABC, etc.

Farmfrog

Skip, I want a coach who will roll up his sleeves and work his tail off, both, on and off the court. They need to string together several tourneys in a row.

I can’t really speak for the average fan because I’m not one. Hopefully they will come if we are winning.

Skip Jansen

Skip, I want a coach who will roll up his sleeves and work his tail off, both, on and off the court. They need to string together several tourneys in a row.

I can’t really speak for the average fan because I’m not one. Hopefully they will come if we are winning.

I'm there with you Farm.

The circumstances of last year (attrition, Jamie & UCLA, not getting an NCAA bid) really had an affect on a lot of people.

I have to admit, the Frogs won 23 games and it felt like a lost season or a step backwards (in a lot of ways). I get everyone's disappointment.

wilson912

Don’t care he flirted with UCLA

if that is a problem I guess you don’t support baseball either

like Moose said - .500 in conference is the goal, top 3 when we get the right chemistry and get an NCAA bid half the time

if we can’t do that, then frankly we are spending too much money on the sport

related question - people keep saying Fisher is playing for GCU but he doesn’t have any stats - is he actually playing? Is he even eligible yet?
Academic issues, may be back by now.