• The KillerFrogs

Hockey Tournament—2023 begins on page 3 with post #52; 2022 precedes it.

froginmn

LOL the rink-level personality (Victoria Arlen) was interviewing the Quinnipiac coach and said, you were here seven years ago and have a lot of alumnis here, a lot of alumnis spending money, a lot of alumnis buying dinners...

At first I thought I heard her wrong but she said "alumni's" three separate times. Can someone tell her the word is already plural?

bc puckett

LOL the rink-level personality (Victoria Arlen) was interviewing the Quinnipiac coach and said, you were here seven years ago and have a lot of alumnis here, a lot of alumnis spending money, a lot of alumnis buying dinners...

At first I thought I heard her wrong but she said "alumni's" three separate times. Can someone tell her the word is already plural?
You're obviously right but in this case maybe we should cut her a little slack.

I'm a big ten hockey fan.

scheiss Michigan.
I get it, but it would be sweeter to let it roll and beat Michigan. Any good chance to slay Michigan to be appreciated. And not that it matters, but redemption for the conference tournament loss could be extra blood pumping hostility to whoop-ass Big Blue.

Last edited:

froginmn

I get it, but it would be sweeter to let it roll and beat Michigan. Any good chance to slay Michigan to be appreciated. And not that it matters, but redemption for the conference tournament loss could be extra blood pumping hostility to whoop-ass Big Blue.
Edit: I wrote this up but apparently didn't click submit until after the game ended. Bye wolverines.

Disagree. Michigan thinks they're a huge dynasty because they've won nine titles. Seven of those were before I was born, and I'm not a young man.

They've won two since the last of those seven (1964). But because they're Michigan they think they're God's gift to sport, and the commentators bring it up often.

Would rather watch them pee down their leg in the third period here and sell their CG tickets like in the CFP.

Edit: I wrote this up but apparently didn't click submit until after the game ended. Bye wolverines.

Disagree. Michigan thinks they're a huge dynasty because they've won nine titles. Seven of those were before I was born, and I'm not a young man.

They've won two since the last of those seven (1964). But because they're Michigan they think they're God's gift to sport, and the commentators bring it up often.

Would rather watch them pee down their leg in the third period here and sell their CG tickets like in the CFP.
I mentioned those nine Michigan titles without putting them in time perspective, so I am glad you did. Yes, Michigan won 6 of the first 9 tourneys from 1948-56 and a 7th in 1964. Their last two in ‘96 and ‘98.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Bye wolverines.

Michigan thinks they're a huge dynasty because they've won nine titles. Seven of those were before I was born, and I'm not a young man.

Now see, if more people had this kind of healthy sports hate, we'd still have strong WCHA and CCHA leagues where Michigan and Minnesota could despise each other from a distance rather than playing it out on the ice and destroying other regional rivalries.

But no. The Big 10 ruins everything.

froginmn

Now see, if more people had this kind of healthy sports hate, we'd still have strong WCHA and CCHA leagues where Michigan and Minnesota could despise each other from a distance rather than playing it out on the ice and destroying other regional rivalries.

But no. The Big 10 ruins everything.
90s/2000s WCHA teams with more championships than Michigan since 1980:

North Dakota
Denver
Wisconsin
Minnesota-Duluth

MN with a great chance to join the list. Minnesota has as many as Mich, but MN also won 3 in the mid to late 70s so has more since 1979.

Last edited:
For those who are not aware or don’t think they have interest, but might, you might want to tune in ESPN 2 for the Frozen Four championship. I think it is going to be a good game between the young talent of Minnesota and the older more experienced Quinnipiac. Besides, there’s only so many games out there for all the marbles. Speed and fluidity on ice.

Last edited:

froginmn

For those who are not aware or don’t think they have interest, but might, you might want to tune in ESPN 2 for the Frozen Four championship. I think it is going to be a good game between the young talent of Minnesota and the older more experienced Quinnipiac. Besides, there’s only so many games out there for all the marbles. Speed and fluidity on ice.
Pride on ice...

PXL_20230409_003437370_copy_686x911.jpg

After all the side discussion about extra-attacker goals, an EAG leads to bonus hockey in the national title game.
With a skater having just come out of the penalty box and not yet engaged so 6-on-4. I still didn't see the penalty on replay. Both players are doing the same thing shoving each other with the gloves to the chest with each stick in one glove held high. Maybe there was stick to head contact I did not see.

But foolish by the Gopher because at that point you shouldn’t be taking any chances on penalizing your team when you’re trying to close out a championship with a 2-1 lead and only a few minutes left.

Last edited:
And that is what cost the Gophers a championship, just 10 seconds into OT. How much did the emotional momentum change at the end of regulation factor in. That penalty, which was difficult to see (both players engaged the same way), but foolish anyway, and then pulling the goalie to have another extra attacker, now 6-on-4, flipped that championship. Jeepers, I am annoyed.

Last edited:

bc puckett

And as someone who lives about 10 minutes from their campus and attends somewhere between 8-10 of their games a season even though I wouldn’t consider myself a fan of the program I guess I ‘m happy for them. Even though I would have bet the ranch on Minn had I been so inclined

Latest posts