• The KillerFrogs

Hockey Tournament—2023 begins on page 3 with post #52; 2022 precedes it.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
There is no “one takes a chance by not having one (a goalie)” because the team has nothing to lose in the last minute, because they are conceding they have lost with the status quo; they are desperate. It does not matter if they lose 2-0 because of an empty-net goal, versus 1-0; they are both losses!

And it is referred to as 6 on 5, not 6 on 6; show me in any newsprint where it is referred to as 6 on 6 instead of 6 on 5.:p I am not making this up. Also referred to as a “man advantage.”
I don’t care what it’s called. Both teams have 6 players on the ice. It’s not a man advantage. It’s an offensive advantage with this cost being a defensive disadvantage. Same as putting extra CB’s on the field for a Hail Mary attempt.

froginmn

I suppose it's time to unveil "the Michigan goal" again. Hoping Minnesota can shove it up their arse in two weeks.

At the time it was a unique skill done in practice; nowadays most young players can do it.

I suppose it's time to unveil "the Michigan goal" again. Hoping Minnesota can shove it up their arse in two weeks.

At the time it was a unique skill done in practice; nowadays most young players can do it.

How is that not traveling!

A friend of mine who attended grad school at Michigan, and is a huge Wolverine fan, sent me that video on Friday. Michigan trailed 2-1 at the time in that 2nd round game and went on to win 4-3; three of their goals were on the power-play. Michigan then won that championship over tiny Colorado College, 3-2.

@JogginFrog it would have been great for CC to win that one in 1996. CC won in 1950 and 1957 and Colorado Springs hosted the first 10 years of the championship from 1948-57.
“It took another dramatic moment, however, followed by a lucky carom, for the Wolverines to qualify for the Frozen Four.

After the teams traded goals in the third period (Warren Luhning for Michigan, Casey Hankinson for Minnesota), Bill Muckalt scored the game-winner with 2:01 left in regulation. From behind the net, Brendan Morrison, despite being checked by two Gopher defenders, managed to sweep the puck in front to Muckalt, who deked DeBus and deposited the puck past the sprawled Gopher netminder for his second goal of the game.

In the final 40 seconds, the Gophers pressured the Wolverine net, and Michigan survived a flurry and puck deflecting off the left post.

Turco was brilliant, none more so than in the first period, when the Gophers outshot the Wolverines 13-3, the fewest shots Michigan has generated in a period this season. Turco made a fortunate glove save on Casey Hankinson with an entire half of the net open.”

Last edited:

froginmn

A friend of mine who attended grad school at Michigan, and is a huge Wolverine fan, sent me that video on Friday. Michigan trailed 2-1 at the time in that 2nd round game and went on to win 4-3; three of their goals were on the power-play. Michigan then won that championship over tiny Colorado College, 3-2.

@JogginFrog it would have been great for CC to win that one in 1996. CC won in 1950 and 1957 and Colorado Springs hosted the first 10 years of the championship from 1948-57.
“It took another dramatic moment, however, followed by a lucky carom, for the Wolverines to qualify for the Frozen Four.

After the teams traded goals in the third period (Warren Luhning for Michigan, Casey Hankinson for Minnesota), Bill Muckalt scored the game-winner with 2:01 left in regulation. From behind the net, Brendan Morrison, despite being checked by two Gopher defenders, managed to sweep the puck in front to Muckalt, who deked DeBus and deposited the puck past the sprawled Gopher netminder for his second goal of the game.

In the final 40 seconds, the Gophers pressured the Wolverine net, and Michigan survived a flurry and puck deflecting off the left post.

Turco was brilliant, none more so than in the first period, when the Gophers outshot the Wolverines 13-3, the fewest shots Michigan has generated in a period this season. Turco made a fortunate glove save on Casey Hankinson with an entire half of the net open.”
Fun fact - I went to grade school with the Hankinsons (Pete and Ben; Casey was younger).

JogginFrog

A friend of mine who attended grad school at Michigan, and is a huge Wolverine fan, sent me that video on Friday. Michigan trailed 2-1 at the time in that 2nd round game and went on to win 4-3; three of their goals were on the power-play. Michigan then won that 1996 championship over tiny Colorado College, 3-2.

@JogginFrog it would have been great for CC to win a more modern one. CC won in 1950 and 1957 and Colorado Springs hosted the first 10 years of the championship from 1948-57.
I love how it's still referred to as a "Michigan goal" anytime someone does it. Iconic.

@This Ain't Chopped Liver, I walked through the Broadmoor Hotel over the holidays and enjoyed seeing a bunch of the old Frozen Four pics from those early NCAAs at the Broadmoor World Arena. CC has been to one FF since I started following them. Will have to make do with a pair of Hobey Baker winners in '03 and '05.

For the record, I'm with @Peacefrog on the extra attacker. I like to think of the goaltender as one of six, a player who could go on offense at any time (although the number who have deliberately scored on an empty net is very small).

But I'm totally on your side about Nowell's shot selection in bouncy ball.

bc puckett

I thought that might get some attention, but I believe it is a goofy rule, just stuck in tradition because it offers excitement to the desperate team that is about to lose, while essentially penalizing the team who earned the win over 59 preceding minutes. It is 6 on 5, like a penalty is 5 on 4, a “man advantage.” Why penalize the team about to win, and earned it. It appears goofy/unreasonable; it is unjust.

I may defend the thought further, later, if I have the energy, haha. And I am confident I won’t have a MAN ADVANTAGE!:p
So I attended the QU/tOSU game yesterday and shared your thoughts with several people I was with all of whom are big hockey folks who I have known for many years. Let's just say it was met with a combination of amusement and disbelief.

JogginFrog

I like hockey, but I still laugh at Aaron Sorkin's take on it:
"Scoring in hockey seems to come out of nowhere. The play-by-play guy is always shocked. 'LaPeltier passes to Huckenchuk who skates past the blue line. Huckenchuk, of course, was traded from Winnepeg for a case of Labatt after sitting out last season oh my gawd, he scores!'"

I like hockey, but I still laugh at Aaron Sorkin's take on it:
"Scoring in hockey seems to come out of nowhere. The play-by-play guy is always shocked. 'LaPeltier passes to Huckenchuk who skates past the blue line. Huckenchuk, of course, was traded from Winnepeg for a case of Labatt after sitting out last season oh my gawd, he scores!'"

Interesting and funny thought, as compared to baseball— “I think Americans like to savor situations.”

Last edited:
Ten minutes into the 2nd period of the first semifinal on ESPN 2, and the Golden Gophers and Boston Terriers are 2-2. Minnesota has not won the championship since 2003.

A Heist—Boston University’s last championship was 2009 when they stole one from Miami of Ohio. Down 3-1 they scored two 6-on-5 goals in the last minute of regulation, at 59:00 and 59:42. Imagine the emotional letdown for the Miami RedHawks going into that intermission having to get ready for OT, after thinking they were closing out a championship and were pumped for the party to begin. And for Boston U, exhilaration, from the jaws of defeat. The Boston Terriers then finished off the heist at 11:47 of OT.

A 6-on-5 advantage to close regulation and give the desperate and impending loser a last chance to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, is a rule of ingrained hockey tradition and people like it, huh. For Miami University, an impending 3-1 NCAA championship victory turns to a nightmare 4-3 loss because of that final minute of 6 on 5 regulation, jeepers. The 2009 Frozen Four should have been the Miami RedHawks first championship.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Ten minutes into the 2nd period of the first semifinal on ESPN 2, and the Golden Gophers and Boston Terriers are 2-2. Minnesota has not won the championship since 2003.

A Heist—Boston University’s last championship was 2009 when they stole one from Miami of Ohio. Down 3-1 they scored two 6 on 5 goals in the last minute, at 59:00 and 59:42, of regulation. How about that emotional letdown for the Miami RedHawks going into that intermission having to get ready for OT, after thinking they were closing out a championship and were pumped for the party to begin. And for Boston U, exhilaration, from the jaws of defeat. The Boston Terriers then finished off the heist at 11:47 of OT.

A 6 on 5 advantage to close regulation and give the desperate and impending loser a last chance is a ruling ingrained tradition in hockey and people like it, ha. For Miami University, an impending 3-1 NCAA championship victory turns to a nightmare 4-3 loss because of that final minute of 6 on 5 regulation, jeepers. It should have been the Miami RedHawks first championship.
Sounds like Miami failed to execute on over a full minute of an open net while the teams played at 6 on 6 even strength.

The Minnesota Golden Gophers defeat the Boston Terriers 6-2 and advance to the final on Saturday at 7 pm central. I am a believer in “may the better team win” and that happened here. Though if it is a lesser Horned Frog team, well, then….

Quinnipiac Bobcats vs Michigan Wolverines up next at 7:30. #2 vs #3 seed. Quinny is a Connecticut school of only 9700 students and has never won a championship. Michigan has nine. If you are a Big 10 fan, you probably want Michigan to win but most others likely Quinny. The Bobcats are the #2 seed but I believe the Wolverines have maybe twice as many NHL draft picks.

Last edited:

froginmn

Quinnipiac Bobcats vs Michigan Wolverines up next at 7:30. #2 vs #3 seed. Quinny is a Connecticut school of only 9700 students and has never won a championship. Michigan has nine. If you are a Big 10 fan, you probably want Michigan to win but most others likely Quinny. The Bobcats are the #2 seed but I believe the Wolverines have maybe twice as many NHL draft picks on their team.
I'm a big ten hockey fan.

scheiss Michigan.