• The KillerFrogs

Hockey Tournament—2023 begins on page 3 with post #52; 2022 precedes it.

Denver University Pioneers vs Minnesota State Mavericks for the championship, Saturday, 7pm, ESPN 2. Either the Mavericks win their 1st, or the Pioneers win their 9th which would tie them with the Michigan Wolverines for the most.
1649429754797.jpeg1649429769932.jpeg

Last edited:
Minnesota has the moniker, “State of Hockey," and that pertains to its hockey passion and culture, and the state’s youth hockey and high school state tournament. Maybe it is also reflected in the historical number of Minnesotans on NCAA and NHL rosters. There is also the 1980 Miracle On Ice roster having 12 of 20 from Minnesota and head coach Herb Brooks. Minnesota’s college hockey teams are maybe now at their best as a group, and it’s youth programs too—though some might argue those youth programs are too much expense in money and time—our nature to keep cranking things up.
https://thehockeywriters.com/why-minnesota-is-truly-the-state-of-hockey/

But, Minnesota lacks a Stanley Cup and maybe surprisingly, Michigan, Massachusetts and Colorado have all won more NCAA Division 1 championships than Minnesota. Minnesota won only three from 1948-2001 (1974, '76, '79), but were much better from 2002-2019 winning in 2002, ‘03, '11, '18, and ‘19—the latter three by Minnesota Duluth.

This is the state tally of national NCAA champions from 1948 - 2022: Michigan 19, Massachusetts 12, Colorado 11, Minnesota 8, North Dakota 8, Wisconsin 6, New York 5, Maine 2, Connecticut 1, Rhode Island 1, Ohio 1.

Here is the number of NCAA championships won by each university—
Denver 9
Michigan 9
North Dakota 8
Wisconsin 6
Minnesota 5
Boston College 5
Boston University 5
Minnesota Duluth 3
Michigan State 3
Michigan Tech 3
Lake Superior (Michigan) 3
Colorado College 2
Cornell (NY) 2
Rensselaer (NY) 2
Maine 2
Northern Michigan 1
UMass 1
Harvard 1
Union (NY) 1
Yale 1
Providence 1
Bowling Green 1

Last edited:
Not sure about any East Coast Bias. Regional sites since 2015:

2015: Providence, Manchester NH, South Bend, Fargo, FF: Boston
2016: Allentown, St Paul, Cincy, Worcester, FF: Tampa
2017: Cincy, Fargo, Providence Manchester, FF: Chicago
2018: Sioux Falls, Bridgeport, Worcester, Allentown FF St Paul
2019: Fargo, Allentown, Providence, Manchester, FF Buffalo
2020; Covid
2021 Bridgeport, Manchester, Fargo, Loveland FF Pittsburgh

Also future sites as follows:

So it may lean a little East but certainly not in a "biased" way. Cities make bids and we all know the NCAA will chase every last nickel
@Frozen Frog @froginmn I appreciate the info here, bc puck. The previous and future sites both show that for regionals the east coast hosts two, and like this year sometimes three of the four regionals. The Midwest and Colorado have to share the other two and too often just one. This favors fans on the east coast for regionals, but I suspect it is due to availability of more arenas and/or bidding. I believe the tournament requires “neutral” arenas, meaning arenas which are not on-campus, so Mariucci Arena on the Minnesota campus is out. I think on-campus sites were determined to be too advantageous and eliminated decades ago.

Maybe having more fans in close proximity for attendance in the New England States and New York matters in the selection process but I will assume it is simply availability or better east coast bids—just the way it is and the east coast fans and teams benefit. It is difficult to impossible to distribute sites perfectly equitable and, maybe, one could argue that two sites on the east coast is always appropriate, one not being enough to represent their numbers. But with that logic, then it would be appropriate to always have one site in/near Minnesota and one in/near Michigan. The absence of those two sites or even one of them, while always having two or three in the east in relative close proximity to each other, is the imbalance.

The Frozen Four site wanders, and it gets good attendance anyway.

Last edited:

bc puckett

@Frozen Frog @froginmn I appreciate the info here, bc puck. The previous and future sites both show that for regionals the east coast hosts two, and like this year sometimes three of the four regionals. The Midwest and Colorado have to share the other two and too often just one. This favors fans on the east coast a bit for regionals, but I suspect it is due to availability of more arenas and/or bidding. I believe the tournament requires “neutral” arenas, meaning arenas which are not on-campus, so Mariucci Arena on the Minnesota campus is out. I think on-campus sites were determined to be too advantageous and eliminated decades ago.

Maybe having more fans in close proximity for attendance in the New England States and New York matters in the selection process but I will assume it is simply availability or better east coast bids—just the way it is and the east coast fans and teams benefit. It is difficult to impossible to distribute sites perfectly equitable and, maybe, one could argue that two sites on the east coast is always appropriate, one not being enough to represent their numbers. But with that logic, then it would be appropriate to always have one site in/near Minnesota and one in/near Michigan, and the absence of those two sites or even one of them while always having two or three in the east is the imbalance.

The Frozen Four site wanders, and it gets good attendance anyway.
You're right about the on-campus sites having been eliminated (at least for now). The other issue with Mariucci (and some others) is that I'm fairly certain that it has an Olympic sized (200 x 100) ice sheet which the NCAA doesn't want and would be an even bigger edge for the home team.

Someone mentioned the Excel Center awhile back in this thread. While I have never been I have been told it's an outstanding building in which to watch a hockey game. The thing that eliminates it from regional consideration is it's size. It's over double the capacity (or close) of the arenas used for regionals. Great FF site just way too big for regionals.

As for the site selection I think you are always going to have 2 distinctly Eastern and 1 Western site every year with the Midwest being the site that kind of fluctuates. I'm fairly certain that's why they started referring to each regional by the name of the host city rather than the old East, Northeast, Midwest, and West as Allentown isn't even in Midwestern PA let alone the Midwest of the U.S.

The 2023 NCAA tournament bracket, tourney information and previous champions/runner-ups are in the first link and tournament coverage/news is in the 2nd link.

Round 2 is today and tomorrow for a trip to the Frozen Four in Tampa.

Last edited:
A 16 team tourney and in the first round the winners outscored the losers by an aggregate 52-5. The Big Ten advanced all four of their teams to the final eight—Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State, along with Boston University, Cornell, Quinnipiac University in Connecticut and St. Cloud State University in Minnesota.

Minnesota is the #1 seed, Quinnipiac #2, Michigan #3 and Denver #4. Nine time and defending champ, Denver Pioneers, lost to The Cornell Big Red, 2-0.

Minnesota won the Big Ten regular season and Michigan beat them in the conference tourney 4-3. I hear Minnesota has young NHL talent and Michigan likely has too. Minnesota has not won this thing since 2003.

By the way, Minnesota’s Mariucci arena is now changing out their Olympic size ice sheet for the more standard and smaller NHL size. They will add 200-300 seats. Maybe they will host a future regional, but it is an on-campus arena which might still prohibit that.

Last edited:
This year the Ivy teams reappeared in the tournament with Cornell, Harvard and “Little Ivy” Colgate University.

Colgate is about 3000 students and is the USNews #18 ranked National Liberal Arts College and qualified both its hockey and basketball teams for the big tourneys this year, sheesh.

The schools which lost in the first round—Canisius College in New York, Merrimack College in Massachusetts, Denver, Harvard, Colgate, Minnesota State, Michigan Tech, Western Michigan

Schools not making the tourney—Wisconsin, North Dakota, UMass, Boston College and @JogginFrog’s Colorado College.

Colorado College had a down year in their fancy new 3,400 seat Ed Robson Arena, but then upset Western Michigan and Denver in the NCHC tournament trying to win a spot in the NCAA tourney, but fell short in the final to St. Cloud.

Last edited:
#1 seed Minnesota advanced to the Frozen Four, defeating St. Cloud State, 4-1.

Boston University narrowly advanced over Cornell 2-1. Narrowly, only because a goofy rule in hockey, allowed desperate Cornell, down 2-0 in the final minute, to add an extra skater, the man-advantage, which made it dicey close, Cornell almost stealing this game, jeepers—

“The Big Red did not go quietly. With goalie Ian Shane pulled for an extra skater, Dalton Bancroft finished off a scrum in front of the BU net to cut the deficit to 2-1 at 59:32. With about 10 seconds to go, Bancroft had a chance to tie it with a shot at an open net, but BU defender Lane Hutson blocked the shot to save the victory.”

Minnesota will play BU in the Frozen Four In Tampa on April 6.

Two more punch their tickets today, both games on ESPN 2: #2 seed Quinnipiac University plays Ohio State at 3 central time and #3 seed Michigan takes on Penn State at 5:30.

Last edited:

froginmn

#1 seed Minnesota advanced to the Frozen Four, defeating St. Cloud State, 4-1.

Boston U. narrowly advanced over Cornell 2-1. Narrowly, only because a goofy rule in hockey, allowed desperate Cornell, down 2-0 in the final minute, to add an extra skater, or man-advantage, which made it dicey close, Cornell almost stealing this game, jeepers—

“The Big Red did not go quietly. With goalie Ian Shane pulled for an extra skater, Dalton Bancroft finished off a scrum in front of the BU net to cut the deficit to 2-1 at 59:32. With about 10 seconds to go, Bancroft had a chance to tie it with a shot at an open net, but BU defender Lane Hutson blocked the shot to save the victory.”
Goofy rule? You can pull your goalie for an extra attacker. Sometimes it works (Cornell scored a goal) and often you get burned (Minnesota got an empty netter against St. Cloud).

You could have a soccer goalie run out of the box on an attack in the same way, can have all of your DB's blitz in football, etc.

Football has on side kicks... Completely disagree that ability to pull a goalie is goofy.

Regardless, glad that the Gophers got to Tampa and hope they can keep rolling. They've won several titles but none since repeats in 2002/3 despite multiple appearance in the Frozen Four.

Hope this is their year!

Goofy rule? You can pull your goalie for an extra attacker. Sometimes it works (Cornell scored a goal) and often you get burned (Minnesota got an empty netter against St. Cloud).

You could have a soccer goalie run out of the box on an attack in the same way, can have all of your DB's blitz in football, etc.

Football has on side kicks... Completely disagree that ability to pull a goalie is goofy.

Regardless, glad that the Gophers got to Tampa and hope they can keep rolling. They've won several titles but none since repeats in 2002/3 despite multiple appearance in the Frozen Four.

Hope this is their year!
I thought that might get some attention, but I believe it is a goofy rule, just stuck in tradition because it gives a stimulating chance for the desperate team and its fans to steal the game they are a minute away from losing, while essentially penalizing the team who earned the win over 59 preceding minutes. It is 6 on 5, like a penalty is 5 on 4, a “man advantage.” Why penalize the team about to win, and earned it. It appears goofy/unreasonable; it is unjust.

I may defend the thought further, later, if I have the energy, haha. And I am confident I won’t have a MAN ADVANTAGE!:p

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I thought that might get some attention, but I believe it is a goofy rule, just stuck in tradition because it offers excitement to the desperate team that is about to lose, while essentially penalizing the team who earned the win over 59 preceding minutes. It is 6 on 5, like a penalty is 5 on 4. Why penalize the team about to win, and earned it. It is unjust.

I may defend the thought further, later, if I have the energy, haha. And I am confident I won’t have a MAN ADVANTAGE!:p
It’s not 6 on 5, it’s 6 on 6. Just one team chooses to have a goalie and one takes a chance by not having one. It’s simply an alignment change.

It’s not 6 on 5, it’s 6 on 6. Just one team chooses to have a goalie and one takes a chance by not having one. It’s simply an alignment change.
There is no “one takes a chance by not having one (a goalie)” because the team has nothing to lose in the last minute, because they are conceding they have lost with the status quo; they are desperate. It does not matter if they lose 2-0 because of an empty-net goal, versus 1-0; they are both losses!

And it is referred to as 6 on 5, not 6 on 6; show me in any newsprint where it is referred to as 6 on 6 instead of 6 on 5.:p I am not making this up. Also referred to as a “man advantage.”

Last edited:

froginmn

There is no “one takes a chance by not having one (a goalie)” because the team has nothing to lose in the last minute, because they are conceding they have lost with the status quo, they are desperate. It does not matter if they lose 2-0 because of an empty-net goal, versus 1-0; they are both losses!

And it is referred to as 6 on 5, not 6 on 6; show me in any newsprint where it is referred to as 6 on 6 instead of 6 on 5.:p I am not making that up. A man advantage.
The other team could pull its goalie to make it 6 on 6 skaters....