• The KillerFrogs

Here is a scary realization...

FROGDADDY

From all the history I have read, yes Pickett indeed never, ever forgave Lee till the day he died, though others tried to shift the blame for the operation to Longstreet (who himself apparently opposed it).

Anybody who knows anything about US history knows that the failures of the South in the Civil War can be traced directly to Mike Schultz.

Anybody who knows anything about US history knows that the failures of the South in the Civil War can be traced directly to Mike Schultz.

I'm coming to the realization that we could have the ghost of Bill Walsh as our offensive coordinator and people here would be calling for his paranormal head on a platter if we didn't start every game with 5 straight drives for touchdowns ...

fdub

[font="verdana][size="2"]The box was loaded, why didn't we adjust?
[/size][/font]

CGP likes to save something special for the big games; we've seen it year in, year out. The only big game on our schedule this year in Nov 6. I'd expect some very different play calling in SLC. Until then, why educate the Utes?

sous vide

CGP likes to save something special for the big games; we've seen it year in, year out. The only big game on our schedule this year in Nov 6. I'd expect some very different play calling in SLC. Until then, why educate the Utes?

Plus, as I noted above, we did in fact quite measurably adjust without getting too far away from the normal TCU game plan. The problem is that some appear to want the Frogs to have overadjusted to suit their game plan as opposed to CGP's.

I agree that for big games he sometimes pulls out a few wrinkles.

neutral observer

Agree! But having so many seniors at WR has helped this year. Aside from Boyce & Hicks, I don't see much depth there! Also, losing Daniels, Griffin, and Grant on the DL will hurt bad. We are losing quite a bit of players who were starters for a number of years. Talent (and HS reputation) doesn't always equal performance!

sous vide

H'mmm...

Now that I think about it, the personal knowledge of Schultz and Longstreet about their respective fields, and the vilification that each received for exhibiting it, have a lot in common! :eek:hmy:

Longstreet was light years ahead of his time advocating nonstandard "defensive" methods of offense--"boring", nonexplosive methods, even--that didn't become mainstream for decades. Schultz too???:ph34r:

steelfrog

Tier 1
Why do you guys argue with someone who knows NOTHING about game management. Plays set up other plays, etc. Coaching 101. And I believe HCGP's priority was to try and get another SO, which he almost did but for one drive.

byuhog

It's altogether possible TCU has some minor growing pains next season due to inexperience and most people have seen BYU struggle through having a new QB, etc.. But TCU's may be less noticeable. For TCU, it would be like dropping 1-3 games and not 5-7, like BYU.

The more I watch Dalton, the more impressed I am with him. Dude's a warrior and I think there IS a place in the NFL for him. Has a little bit of Tom Brady in him-taking a last second shot and still delivering a TD pass. That is a gift. He's a big-time leader and acts like it.

I don't know if anyone TCU has now is gonna step up like him or perform like him immediately. I think he'll be missed. Till Paschall or whoever can up their game to that level.

Kerley, Young and some of those guys are great players too.

BSU, NV and even Fresno-st could be losses next year.

People need to allow time for their programs/teams to go through maturing stages, even if TCU does have a stellar defense almost every year, doesn't mean fans should have unreasonable expectations-especially through the maturing phases where key players-aka QB are trying to learn the game.

guidoc

OK.

I bet we smoke AFA this weekend and then go to Utah and win. AD will have to win that one for us and I bet those "terrible" OCs pull a few tricks out of their sleeves. The Utah win puts us in the title game and we stomp (fill in blanks). National champions!

That's what I believe. There's nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise. So there. :excl:

We have 3 more big games.
AFA...do we smoke them or let them still believe. They have to play Utah the next week. we need them to still have fire in the belly.

Utah...it is the game.

I think SDSU will be a tough game and could be a sleeper game for us like AFA was after the UT game.
They are a better team this year and they have speed and size.
I thought last year, that they were developing something.
Our guys...will be in SD...that is a place of distractions.

Frogenstein

If our guys are in SD then they will miss the game in Fort Worth. I thought our attendance worries just involved fans in the stands now I have to also worry about our players and coaches showing up?

Mr. Big

Hard to argue with success but having seen the Colorado State game this year when we clearly had a size advantage on the offensive line, we could have not thrown a pass all day and won 60-0 but for some reason were determined to throw the ball. When we did reprioritize the running game in the second half, it was game over. Against BYU. just the opposite. We seemed bound and determined to establish a running game but that was their strength. Once we threw tha ball, it was 17-0 instead of 3-0 in less than a minute.
Listen, I'm not unreasonable. I'm not being a fan with unreasonable expectations. However, when you watch an entire game, where the OCs call a game that should be completely different. I'm no expert or claiming to be one, but it doesn't take a football savant to say, "Give up the run up the gut, it's not working." We kept the same predictable plays the whole game... Yet on almost every play when we went deep, we scored. The end of the second quarter we scored twice in under a minute beating their players on every deep pass. Then the OCs don't make the adjustments at half time to do what works!

Frankly, the only game so far I have been happy with our OCs is the Baylor game. They seemed to have the talent prepared and the play calling stelar. They didn't call a play wrong in that game!

Tell me this, the zone read has worked every game extremely well. Why give it up today? Why do short side option twice this game? Why run up the gut almost every rushing play?

FROGDADDY

If our guys are in SD then they will miss the game in Fort Worth. I thought our attendance worries just involved fans in the stands now I have to also worry about our players and coaches showing up?

They won't be alone, steel was planning on heading to SD for that game as well.

aebrown22

Someone with insider connections needs to bring this to the attention of TCU officials ASAP!

freebird

General Pickett didn't want to "charge" at Gettysburg...it was Gen. Lee who mad 'em do it. Historical fact.
None the less, the O coordinators need to drop the Shultz-side option that they revived last Saturday (before it costs us big-time in the future.)

Totally agree, Lee's blunder, but like all good bosses he didn't attach his name to it. So that why it's know as 'Pickett's charge'.
Still believe he and Johnston were the two best generals in the entire Federalists War of Aggression.

Point is ... we kept running into what we weren't overriding.

sous vide

Totally agree, Lee's blunder, but like all good bosses he didn't attach his name to it. So that why it's know as 'Pickett's charge'.
Still believe he and Johnston were the two best generals in the entire Federalists War of Aggression.

Point is ... we kept running into what we weren't overriding.

Longstreet. He even became a Republican!

Seriously, his ideas on combining defensive elements into offensive operations were quite literally a half a century before his time. He truly understood how rifles changed the whole nature of operations with their vastly increased range over smoothbore muskets. The South still would have lost--they had nowhere near the industrial capacity of the North. But he sure could have stirred up some bit of trouble if he'd talked Lee into parking himself and the Army somewhere between Round Top and DC on some nice ground advancing towards DC as possible and letting the North charge into prepared positions held by a rear guard.

DC pols would have been scuttling out of town like party functionaries from Moscow in the fall of 1941!