• The KillerFrogs

Head-to-Head

McGregor's Goat

If Bama beats Georgia and Texas beats Oklahoma State, I imagine the following conversation with a Bama fan:
Bama fan: We beat the Dawgs! SEC champs, you can't keep us out of the playoffs!
Me: Georgia looked more impressive over the course of the season and has the same record as Bama, maybe they should still be ranked ahead of you?
BF: Idiot! We beat Georgia. Head-to-head is what counts.
Me: But Texas beat Bama by 10 in Tuscaloosa. They were clearly better. You just said head-to-head is what counts, right?
BF: (stutters) Any team can get lucky on any given day. Roll damn Tide.

One loss Georgia is not getting left out
I think they will if Texas, Michigan and FSU win. I’d bet a lot of money on that.
I agree this is where it gets tricky. Georgia clearly has the most impressive and dominate resume and appears to be the best team in the country. Their closest games were 7, 8, and 9 points and their last three conference wins were versus currently ranked #9 Missouri, 30-21, #11 Ole Miss, 52-17 and a road win over #21 Tennessee, 38-10.

So if Georgia loses to Alabama in a presumed close game, and FSU loses, then maybe they get in over a one-loss Big XII champ Texas.

But I think an undefeated FSU, even with a wounded QB, gets in over one-loss, Georgia. Maybe unfortunate because Georgia would probably pound FSU. I also think a one-loss PAC champion Oregon gets in over a one-loss Georgia.

Even though one-loss Georgia may be the best team, I am sticking with conference championships matter, with the possible exception of Big XII Champ Texas maybe coming up short to Georgia if FSU loses their conference championship - but I would still bet on Texas getting in over one-loss Georgia.

In the scenario - FSU loses Saturday and Alabama beats Georgia, and Texas having defeated Alabama - the head-to-heads may have some weight in optics. Alabama is in because they just beat Georgia, but if Big XII champ Texas, having defeated Alabama, was then left out so that the just defeated Georgia can get another shot to beat Alabama is not the best look - yes, Texas at Alabama was a September game, but the optics….

Last edited:

Wexahu

I agree this is where it gets tricky. Georgia clearly has the most impressive and dominate resume and appears to be the best team in the country. Their closest games were 7, 8, and 9 points and their last three conference wins were versus currently ranked #9 Missouri, 30-21, #11 Ole Miss, 52-17 and a road win over #21 Tennessee, 38-10.

So if Georgia loses to Alabama in a presumed close game, and FSU loses, then maybe they get in over a one-loss Big XII champ Texas.

But I think an undefeated FSU, even with a wounded QB, gets in over one-loss, Georgia. Maybe unfortunate because Georgia would probably pound FSU. I also think a one-loss PAC champion Oregon gets in over a one-loss Georgia.

Even though one-loss Georgia may be the best team, I am sticking with conference championships matter, with the possible exception of Big XII Champ Texas, coming up short.
I don’t think B12 Champ UT gets left out behind a non champ. They’ll get left out behind 4 other conference champs.

Wexahu

If I’m on the committee, I definitely put a 1 loss UGA in over unbeaten FSU with no qb.
Fair enough.

Imagine TCU fans, if we were undefeated, getting left out of a playoff because our QB was injured. What do think the narrative would be?

FSU still will have had to win a few games without their QB.

Zubaz

If I’m on the committee, I definitely put a 1 loss UGA in over unbeaten FSU with no qb.
I know it's the last year and everything, but I absolutely do not want to see that happen. This is the Nick Saban "who would be the favorite in Vegas" argument from last year. If you're undefeated in a P5 conference, a 1-loss team shouldn't get in over you. Period.

Limey Frog

If Texas University gets in, I puke…
I would have loved so much to have been the ones to give them their second loss and punch them out, given that TCU is the only school in Texas to have made the playoff in the 4-team era, and the only Big 12 member to have won a playoff game. We might preserve that record yet, but if we do, deliverance will have come by someone else's hand.

ShreveFrog

If you watched FSU last Saturday, you know they are not nearly as good without QB1 Travis. They probably lose to L’ville this Saturday.

I don’t think B12 Champ UT gets left out behind a non champ. They’ll get left out behind 4 other conference champs.
Yes, most likely, and in the scenario - FSU loses Saturday and Alabama beats Georgia, and Texas having defeated Alabama - the head-to-heads may have some weight in optics. Alabama is in because they just beat Georgia, but if Big XII champ Texas, having defeated Alabama, was then left out so that the just defeated Georgia can get another shot to beat Alabama is not the best look - yes, Texas at Alabama was a September game, but the optics….

Last edited:
I have to disagree with a couple of you about the 2014 Baylor head-to-head.

We were on the road as 8 point dogs, and lost by 3 after some very helpful home cooking by the refs (the non-call PI on 4th down, the DOUBLE personal foul after our last TD which had us kicking off from our frikin' 10 yard line, the clock infamously not running during the second to last play to give Baylor time to get the game-winning FG, the clock stopping miraculously with 1 second on the clock at the end of the first half to give Baylor a chance to kick a FG, etc.).

We win that one at home or in a neutral stadium, or at least with non-bought refs.

Also, Baylor lost by 14 points to a 6-6 West Virginia team.

Plus, rapists.

So I think we deserved to be ahead of Baylor in 2014.

Wexahu

If we go to 8 it will be a fuss over 9-12. And do we let in more G5 or the #3 SEC team.
We're already going to 12, so you mean a G5 team or #4/5 SEC team. 3 SEC teams will absolutely be in every year, no question about it. I bet 4 will be in 75% of the years. It's what everyone wanted, I think in a few years we'll wonder why.

And you're right, this isn't the end of all the nonsense either. Might be even more nonsense in the future.

Bizarro Frog

I think Head to Head has various levels of strength.

Home win by 3 ----- Home win by double digits ---- Neutral site win ---- Road win ---- Road win by 10+

TX gets in over Bama if they both win and the pundits can still tout the SEC. They will tell us how TX is now built like an SEC team.

Spike

We're already going to 12, so you mean a G5 team or #4/5 SEC team. 3 SEC teams will absolutely be in every year, no question about it. I bet 4 will be in 75% of the years. It's what everyone wanted, I think in a few years we'll wonder why.

And you're right, this isn't the end of all the nonsense either. Might be even more nonsense in the future.
12 huh? Will the top 4 get a week off?

yeah then the argument will be about who gets that huge week off and who are the last few in/first few out etc.

12 is better. Let at least a few of the G5 have a chance. But then we will have 4-5 SEC teams. I do hate seeing a team like Bama get punished for having a loss when they were willing a to schedule a decent OOC game early in the year. As much as I dislike Texas, they have earned the right to be there as well. Always wanted a bigger playoff.

Wexahu

12 huh? Will the top 4 get a week off?

yeah then the argument will be about who gets that huge week off and who are the last few in/first few out etc.

12 is better. Let at least a few of the G5 have a chance. But then we will have 4-5 SEC teams. I do hate seeing a team like Bama get punished for having a loss when they were willing a to schedule a decent OOC game early in the year. As much as I dislike Texas, they have earned the right to be there as well. Always wanted a bigger playoff.
12 would be great if the structure of college football itself allowed for some semblance of parity. But it doesn't. So all 12 is going to do is further reveal for all to see the massive separation between the handful of haves and everyone else. Yes, the handful will rotate periodically among the usual suspects but they will still be the same old teams. And good luck to the G5 or small P5 school in winning 2-3 games against blue bloods just to get to the NCG.

Teams 9-12 right now are Missouri, Penn State, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma. Is there anyone that thinks any of those teams has a snowballs chance in hell of winning 4 straight games to win a national title? What's the point? They had chances this regular season to prove themselves and they did not. This isn't basketball where on a given night an outmanned team can get hot and take down a juggernaut. This isn't the NFL where every team is on relatively equal footing. So we're gonna get a ton of games that aren't necessary at all. 8 is overdoing it. 12 is WAY overdoing it. Gonna take a lot of excitement out of the regular season for sure.