• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

TCURiggs

Been blessed to get the invite to river crest a few times. Short but tough course with lightning fast and firm greens. Haven’t been invited to any of the other private tracks.

Hawks Creek is decent but I like Whitestone more.

Anyone tried squaw creek down towards glen rose?

Whitestone is a fun track but every time I'm out there it's in worse shape than Hawk's creek.

Yeah, Squaw Creek is fun. Played both courses (did they close one of them?), but it's been several years.

cuckoo4TCU

What are y’all a favorite golf courses to play in the Fort Worth or surrounding area?

Hawks Creek is my favorite course in Fort Worth to play. Whitestone is a lot of fun too. Pecan Valley is fun when it's in good shape. I liked playing Iron Horse and Fossil Creek too, but they can get really backed up. Rockwood since they redid it is fun too.

Purp

I hate Tierra Verde. I play it a couple times a year bc it's so close to my house, but that track eats me alive every time. It's frustrating bc I consistently score better on courses with a harder slope. It's a great place to enjoy nature, but I don't enjoy my golf shots there.

Love Hawks Creek. Like it more in college when they had bent greens, but it's still a great muni track. Best value in FW, IMO.

Not a fan of Bear Creek. Not bad, but definitely doesn't stand out to me for any reason like the other ones mentioned do.

Riggs mentioned the 3 x 9 hole muni in GP. That's Prairie Lakes. I do like that one. Good value and some really fun holes. My favorite GP course is Tangle Ridge, though. Like Hawk's, I liked it better with bent greens 20 years ago, but it's still a good one.

Southern Oaks has had a tumultuous last decade in terms of ownership and direction, but I really dig that track. That's my favorite course within 20 minutes of my house. Really like being out there.

Purp

As for other Texas cities, I went to a national industry meeting in San Antonio every year for about 35 years and it was mostly golf. We wore out La Cantera, TPC, and the Quarry. Also played Pecan Valley a couple times before it closed a few years ago. Just not in a good location. They played the PGA there in ‘68.
Love playing in the quarry. The side outside the quarry is decent, but underwhelming after playing inside the quarry. Just make sure to play it when temps are below 90. No wind in there and you get roasted quickly.

My favorite golf when I'm down the way is north of SA called The Bandit. Enjoy the hell out of that track.

cuckoo4TCU

Love playing in the quarry. The side outside the quarry is decent, but underwhelming after playing inside the quarry. Just make sure to play it when temps are below 90. No wind in there and you get roasted quickly.

My favorite golf when I'm down the way is north of SA called The Bandit. Enjoy the hell out of that track.

We played The Bandit course late last summer during my bachelor party. It was a really nice course, especially for the price. Everyone had a great time, even the guys who don't golf much.

I used to play Prairie Lakes a ton when I first graduated from TCU. it was by far the best bang for your buck. If you printed off a coupon they had on their website it was $20 for 18 holes plus a chopped beef sandwich. They increased their prices to be comparable to other courses around DFW (like $45 or $50), and my group decided there were other courses closer to us we would rather play.

Eight

haven't played it in several years, but one of my favorite courses to play in san antonio when i was traveling there for business was silverhorn.

price was fair, course had some character and a bit of challenge, and it didn't get as bogged down as the quarry.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I don’t play much golf locally but I’ve played a ton of great courses through work. My two favorite courses are, oddly, both named the Ocean Course. Ocean Course at Kiawah Island is a fantastic round of gold. The Ocean Course at Papagayo Peninsula in Costa Rica is u believably beautiful. Also really like Pelican Hill. Do not like Torrey Pines much at all. Played four rounds there and every time there is some excuse why the Course is in bad shape. At some point it has to be in good shape right? I guess only for the tour event?

SuperBarrFrog

I haven’t played golf since I was in high school and we used to go to the par 3 with just a couple of clubs and a bunch of beer. I was able to tee off of an empty beer can without knocking it over; guess I decided to just go out on top after that. Not sure I’ll ever take golf back up, but I have been wanting to go to Top Golf for a long time. Every time I think about going something plans always get messed up.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I haven’t played golf since I was in high school and we used to go to the par 3 with just a couple of clubs and a bunch of beer. I was able to tee off of an empty beer can without knocking it over; guess I decided to just go out on top after that. Not sure I’ll ever take golf back up, but I have been wanting to go to Top Golf for a long time. Every time I think about going something plans always get messed up.
When I was young and really bad (as opposed to just bad now) I once hit a tee shot on the screws on a short par 4 with some wind behind me. Ended up about three feet from the hole. I made the putt and officially had an eagle before I had shot a birdie. I thought about quitting right then because I didn’t figure it could get better.

I should have listened to my own advice because golf frustrates me to no end.

froginmn

My dad liked to tell stories of caddying when he was young. This would have been in the early 1940s. He said that all the caddies tried to sign up on the sheet to time it just right to go out with a locally famous newspaper columnist and broadcaster named Cedric Adams.

They loved caddying for Cedric's foursome because he would take out eight caddies. Nobody carried double bags, two would carry a cooler of ice and beer, one would carry booze and the other mixers.

He said by the back nine they'd be using beer bottles as tees.

Mean Purple

I don’t play much golf locally but I’ve played a ton of great courses through work. My two favorite courses are, oddly, both named the Ocean Course. Ocean Course at Kiawah Island is a fantastic round of gold. The Ocean Course at Papagayo Peninsula in Costa Rica is u believably beautiful. Also really like Pelican Hill. Do not like Torrey Pines much at all. Played four rounds there and every time there is some excuse why the Course is in bad shape. At some point it has to be in good shape right? I guess only for the tour event?
I want to play the Ocean Course. Buddy played it last year and said it was amazing. I also want to go back to Harbour Town recollect my nuts that were taken from me on the 16 hole when I thought I could draw around that tree instead of cutting it like folks with common sense. I was not gonna birdie that hole, but I would not have wound up with a triple bogie either.

tcudoc

I play disc golf. That count?
My grandpa used to have so many stories of him growing up caddying for local celebrities at disc golf courses around the city. The debauchery and chicanery of those stories make me wonder if some of them may have been embellished. I long for the time when I can load my varying discs into that special purse, fill my cooler with cold drinks and head out to the disc golf links and throw those things and watching them roll into various thorny bushes, small mud pits, and various other distasteful places.
The satisfaction of the way they are able to cut through the air like a brick with absolutely no aeronautical prowess, such as what their distant cousins, the frisbee, might have, never ceases to amaze me.
The thud of the landing, the roll composing most of the distance, and the feeling of pain as my shoulder seemingly dislocates with every “tee shot.”
Just writing about it makes me reminiscent for better times.

Last edited:

DeuceBoogieNights

My grandpa used to have so many stories of him growing up caddying for local celebrities at disc golf courses around the city. The debauchery and chicanery of those stories make me wonder if some of them may have been embellished. I long for the time when I can load my varying discs into that special purse, fill my cooler with cold drinks and head out to the disc golf links and throw those things and watching the roll into various thorny bushes, small mud pits, and various other distasteful places.
The satisfaction of the way they are able to cut through the air like a brick with absolutely no aeronautical prowess, such as what their distant cousins, the frisbee, might have, never ceases to amaze me.
The thud of the landing, the roll composing most of the distance, and the feeling of pain as my shoulder seemingly dislocates with every “tee shot.”
Just writing about it makes me reminiscent for better times.

People use caddys for disc golf? First I've heard of that. Pretty interesting. Or, this was just a celebrity thing? Also, what kind of celebrities? Musicians? Actors? Athletes?