• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Purp

Keep in mind what somebody is worth is different than what somebody will get paid. There are times and reasons why, when you go to monetize a widget, you get less cash than what that widget might be fairly valued at, and vice-versa.

ORE and WASH are absolutely both worth significantly more than the bottom four members of that conference. There is a weird middle tier that’s hard to evaluate, and I’m sure those are really the folks who would adamantly stand against any significant revenue distribution changes.

Remember, Presidents and Chancellors make these decisions, and they think about more than just athletics. Many of these folks just don’t want to be in the Big 12 due to the “reputation” hit they think will happen to their academic institution, and/or there are some schools who are still thinking about “amateurism” and just aren’t committed to the path CFB is on currently. By that I mean, moving to being a semi-professional sport where the players have an economic arrangement with the schools.
Almost sounds like you think some PAC institutions would be fine going to G5 or even FCS level athletics.

I get that what some schools are worth is likely less than what they'll get paid. That's true in every conference except for UT in the B12 due to LHN. The question I'm trying to pin down is whether the Oregon/U Dub programs are worth enough as independents to enable them to flex enough to get the disparate revenues they seek. Where between the $26MM and say $40MM per year could they land as independents? If they could get close to as much as they're asking for as independents then I can see how the conference might capitulate and give it to them. The reality is that the PAC is probably worth closer to the MWC without those two.

That said, if U Dub and Oregon getting more means others with value (the corners) have to take less then I don't see how the group stays together. Similarly, if U Dub and Oregon can leave as independents and make more than the equal distribution would pay them I'm not sure how the group stays together.

Does that make sense?

HG73

Almost sounds like you think some PAC institutions would be fine going to G5 or even FCS level athletics.

I get that what some schools are worth is likely less than what they'll get paid. That's true in every conference except for UT in the B12 due to LHN. The question I'm trying to pin down is whether the Oregon/U Dub programs are worth enough as independents to enable them to flex enough to get the disparate revenues they seek. Where between the $26MM and say $40MM per year could they land as independents? If they could get close to as much as they're asking for as independents then I can see how the conference might capitulate and give it to them. The reality is that the PAC is probably worth closer to the MWC without those two.

That said, if U Dub and Oregon getting more means others with value (the corners) have to take less then I don't see how the group stays together. Similarly, if U Dub and Oregon can leave as independents and make more than the equal distribution would pay them I'm not sure how the group stays together.

Does that make sense?
Ask BYU how they liked independence. BYU has a pretty big brand. Hard to schedule games in October and November when everyone else is playing conference schedule.

Does that make sense?
Essentially no, hard to monetize one teams rights and that deal just isn’t that interesting, not enough inventory and tough to manage. Plus keep in mind you’re cutting your rights revenue in half, only home games, in a conference you get paid for all games (in effect) and it’s easier to push a premium with a big assortment of rights. I’m not saying ESPN wouldn’t do the deal, but they wouldn’t break the bank either.

Purp

Essentially no, hard to monetize one teams rights and that deal just isn’t that interesting, not enough inventory and tough to manage. Plus keep in mind you’re cutting your rights revenue in half, only home games, in a conference you get paid for all games (in effect) and it’s easier to push a premium with a big assortment of rights. I’m not saying ESPN wouldn’t do the deal, but they wouldn’t break the bank either.
So we're looking at a very unlikely scenario where Wash or Oregon would try to go independent. If they're averse to going to the B12 what leverage can they exert to get disproportionate shares of revenue?

So we're looking at a very unlikely scenario where Wash or Oregon would try to go independent. If they're averse to going to the B12 what leverage can they exert to get disproportionate shares of revenue?
Big 10 is a threat still, ORE/WASH could offer to buy into that league essentially. I could also see them using the Big 12 as leverage, keeping that option open as the B12 would love to take only those two if they could, I think.

It’s sticky for sure, and I’m sure I don’t know even 10% of the league politics.

Creeperfrog

Big 10 is a threat still, ORE/WASH could offer to buy into that league essentially. I could also see them using the Big 12 as leverage, keeping that option open as the B12 would love to take only those two if they could, I think.

It’s sticky for sure, and I’m sure I don’t know even 10% of the league politics.
Maybe we say eff you. Tell them they aren't that great. Take to four corners. They think they they are greater than us.. let the west die

Some more details on what the PAC is looking at:

- Amazon wants a top games package, Friday night to pair with the Thursday NFL game, and is holding the line pretty firmly that they won't take less than a "1st pick" each week. It doesn't appear to me they want much more than that, so far as I can tell they aren't bidding on the whole thing anymore. No idea on fees. Appears PAC is engaged with Amazon and is trying to make this work.

- ESPN wants everything else. They don't mind losing the top game given the inventory selections they have already under contract, but they aren't going to pay a premium for tonnage. There's still some discussion on the PAC Network, either a purchase or a co-marketing agreement, but doesn't seem to be too much interest in that.

- FOX is kicking the tires, heard they got back engaged weeks ago. I think they would do a top-game package alongside ESPN.

- Don't count out NBCUniversal, hearing they are kicking the tires and are more aggressive than most thought they might be... I don't know what they are interested in, but I could see wanting most of the inventory and using it for NBC (ND road games), USA Network, and Peacock.

Eight

Some more details on what the PAC is looking at:

- Amazon wants a top games package, Friday night to pair with the Thursday NFL game, and is holding the line pretty firmly that they won't take less than a "1st pick" each week. It doesn't appear to me they want much more than that, so far as I can tell they aren't bidding on the whole thing anymore. No idea on fees. Appears PAC is engaged with Amazon and is trying to make this work.

- ESPN wants everything else. They don't mind losing the top game given the inventory selections they have already under contract, but they aren't going to pay a premium for tonnage. There's still some discussion on the PAC Network, either a purchase or a co-marketing agreement, but doesn't seem to be too much interest in that.

- FOX is kicking the tires, heard they got back engaged weeks ago. I think they would do a top-game package alongside ESPN.

- Don't count out NBCUniversal, hearing they are kicking the tires and are more aggressive than most thought they might be... I don't know what they are interested in, but I could see wanting most of the inventory and using it for NBC (ND road games), USA Network, and Peacock.

peacock?

Eight

Believe B1G has some content headed there, right? And ND might’ve had a Peacock exclusive game this year (or was it simulcast?).

no idea

the idea of having to create multiple accounts as well as having to jump back and forth between multiple platforms while watching game makes this a very unappealing option as a consumer