• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Some more details on what the PAC is looking at:

- Amazon wants a top games package, Friday night to pair with the Thursday NFL game, and is holding the line pretty firmly that they won't take less than a "1st pick" each week. It doesn't appear to me they want much more than that, so far as I can tell they aren't bidding on the whole thing anymore. No idea on fees. Appears PAC is engaged with Amazon and is trying to make this work.

- ESPN wants everything else. They don't mind losing the top game given the inventory selections they have already under contract, but they aren't going to pay a premium for tonnage. There's still some discussion on the PAC Network, either a purchase or a co-marketing agreement, but doesn't seem to be too much interest in that.

- FOX is kicking the tires, heard they got back engaged weeks ago. I think they would do a top-game package alongside ESPN.

- Don't count out NBCUniversal, hearing they are kicking the tires and are more aggressive than most thought they might be... I don't know what they are interested in, but I could see wanting most of the inventory and using it for NBC (ND road games), USA Network, and Peacock.
Just a few updates...

- Looks like some of the national guys are also hearing what I am re: Amazon, not surprising. The conflict re: ESPN wanting a top game too, I think that can be resolved. ESPN+Amazon is definitely in the lead right now for PAC rights, I get the impression they are focused on making that work vs talking to others. If I had to guess, I'd bet the deal is announced as $30mm annual avg., but that's only going to be true due to the crazy buy-in terms SDSU and SMU will agree to.

- NBCU is still there, but doesn't seem the PAC is interested in that option.

- I know Apple is being referenced, but I don't really know anybody well there so I can't say for sure... If I had to guess, they'd want to do an MLS deal: The PAC Network is used to produce all events, they are all streamed via Apple TV+ behind their paywall, and likely a second paywall for most of the lower-tiered content. I could see Apple paying the most, but can't imagine the president's would be excited about it. This is all speculation.

HFrog1999

Casey Donahew used to cheer for me at football games and I used to get drunk with Noel Haggard in my neighbor’s front yard and I blacked out at his dad’s concert at Billy Bob’s.​

#country

Lol

Purp

Just a few updates...

- Looks like some of the national guys are also hearing what I am re: Amazon, not surprising. The conflict re: ESPN wanting a top game too, I think that can be resolved. ESPN+Amazon is definitely in the lead right now for PAC rights, I get the impression they are focused on making that work vs talking to others. If I had to guess, I'd bet the deal is announced as $30mm annual avg., but that's only going to be true due to the crazy buy-in terms SDSU and SMU will agree to.

- I know Apple is being referenced, but I don't really know anybody well there so I can't say for sure... If I had to guess, they'd want to do an MLS deal: The PAC Network is used to produce all events, they are all streamed via Apple TV+ behind their paywall, and likely a second paywall for most of the lower-tiered content. I could see Apple paying the most, but can't imagine the president's would be excited about it. This is all speculation.
So you're saying everyone else would average $30MM except for SMU and SDSU taking way less? Are Oregon and Washington not getting more?

So you're saying everyone else would average $30MM except for SMU and SDSU taking way less? Are Oregon and Washington not getting more?
If it was the pac 10, I don’t think they could get there. They need the extra inventory and markets, and big buy in discounts from the new members, to make the other 10 happy.

Don’t know about other revenue distribution changes at this point.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a media rights deal announced for the PAC next week, lots of chatter now. If I had to guess, SMU+SDSU are heading into the league too. NBCU is out.

It’ll either be:
Amazon + ESPN
Apple + ESPN (a little)
ESPN alone

I’d be surprised to see any members bail, I think that’s settled.

Purp

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a media rights deal announced for the PAC next week, lots of chatter now. If I had to guess, SMU+SDSU are heading into the league too. NBCU is out.

It’ll either be:
Amazon + ESPN
Apple + ESPN (a little)
ESPN alone

I’d be surprised to see any members bail, I think that’s settled.
So are SMU and SDSU joining for $5MM a year for 6 years?

Creeperfrog

No idea, but it’ll be a heavy heavy discount, yet still an increase from their current realities. However, they’ll have to invest far more to even try and compete in that league, which will be interesting. SMU has been running a massive athletics loss for so long.
I'm not great at finances, but I would think you have to invest a lot short term to gain long term. I think we did that (even tho it was totally funded in advance). We got lucky at the right time. Smu, imo, is just now investing into crypto currency.

HFrog1999

I saw that Alec Baldwin is teaming up with Tom Cruise for a new movie. The working title is "Prop Gun."

Mom And Pop Music Thumbs Down GIF by Courtney Barnett

froginmn

RIP former Vikings and Spurs owner Red McCombs.

I went to a Taste of the NFL event in early 2001. Had to use the restroom and found myself at the next urinal over from Red. I couldn't help but speak up and I told him he needed to find a way to trade up and draft LT.

He said he thought GMFP was a heck of a coach but alas, he didn't take my advice...

Purp

RIP former Vikings and Spurs owner Red McCombs.

I went to a Taste of the NFL event in early 2001. Had to use the restroom and found myself at the next urinal over from Red. I couldn't help but speak up and I told him he needed to find a way to trade up and draft LT.

He said he thought GMFP was a heck of a coach but alas, he didn't take my advice...
Screenshot_20230220-230356_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Just a few updates...

Looks like Apple is going for it, makes sense. I'd expect the PAC Network will transition to being the production arm for Apple's PAC content, and they will likely sub-license the PAC championship game and other big games to somebody like ESPN.

YA

So
Looks like Apple is going for it, makes sense. I'd expect the PAC Network will transition to being the production arm for Apple's PAC content, and they will likely sub-license the PAC championship game and other big games to somebody like ESPN.
So is apple really going to pay them $40 million per school?