• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Froginbedford

I've been thinking about copyright infringement while listening to the bands during March Madness. Here is an "off the top of my head" list of flagrant theft of alma maters and fight songs in the NCAA:

Oklahoma's Boomer Sooner stolen from Yale's Boola Boola.
Nevada's Fight Song stolen from Yale's Down the Field.
Baylor's Alma Mater stolen from In the Good Old Summertime.
SMU's Peruna stolen from She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain.
Oklahoma's and Ok.State's spirit songs stolen from the musical "Oklahoma."
Rice's Fight Song stolen from Put on Your Old Gray Bonnet with the Blue Ribbon On It.
Utah's Fight Song stolen from My Name is Solomon Levi and My Store's on Salem Street.
NCSU's Fight Song stolen from the US Army's Caisson Song.
UT's Fight Song stolen from I've Been Working on the Railroad.
Texas A&M's Fight Song stolen from Go Tell Aunt Rhodie the Old Gray Goose is Dead and Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight.
Houston's Spirit Tune stolen from US Army Bugle Call "Mess Call." Everyone else stole it from U of H.
Any Number of "Tiger Schools" Fight Songs stolen from Tiger Rag
USC's Spirit Song "Conquest" stolen from the movie "Captain From Castille."

Others?

TCU's fight song is a variation from "The Viking March." Indiana uses a complete version....Wiki says Indiana first used the song in 1912...composer was band director for Barnum & Bailey Circus....
In the '70s and '80s, didn't TCU also play the Mess Call, ending with the chant "eat em up, eat em up, rah rah rah"?

PurplFrawg

Administrator
TCU's fight song is a variation from "The Viking March." Indiana uses a complete version....Wiki says Indiana first used the song in 1912...composer was band director for Barnum & Bailey Circus....
In the '70s and '80s, didn't TCU also play the Mess Call, ending with the chant "eat em up, eat em up, rah rah rah"?

Yes, we did. I played in the band which went to Houston (1971?) for the NCAA first round MBB against Notre Dame; U of H was playing in the other half of that foursome. We heard their "Eat 'em Up" bit and stole it from them. Pretty sure they were the first ones to use it.

On a related note, both Tech and UT use the March Grandioso which was written by Roland Seitz, but he stole the main themes from Franz Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody #14.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
I don 't hear it.
[media]

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
HASMSP advice sought:

Friend wanted to do another appraisal on his house as the neighborhood has had a couple of houses go on the market for much higher than the tax appraisals would say. He'd like to know what his is actually worth, to perhaps look at selling or refi. But he is concerned that any private appraisal (with assumedly a higher number) will end up in the hands of the city tax assessors and wants to avoid that.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Horny 4 Life

Our local Chick-fil-A gives you a free sandwich with presentation of a church bulletin and purchase of fries and a drink on Monday. They also offer up a free sandwich with every mobile order on every Monday in March.

I ordered the wife's meal on her app, my son's meal on my app, and I walked in to order mine at the counter and pick up all 3.

Got a delicious lunch and 3 free chicken sandwiches out of the deal.

This must be how cds feels when he opens multiple credit cards to get points/rewards/trips/etc.

Last edited:

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Just got the thing in the mail about buying into the Legends Club. They think I have money!

Jpi9CvA.gif

A
HASMSP advice sought:

Friend wanted to do another appraisal on his house as the neighborhood has had a couple of houses go on the market for much higher than the tax appraisals would say. He'd like to know what his is actually worth, to perhaps look at selling or refi. But he is concerned that any private appraisal (with assumedly a higher number) will end up in the hands of the city tax assessors and wants to avoid that.

A private appraisal won’t end up with the county. If he decides to refi, the lender won’t accept his appraisal, a new one has to be done through the lender. If he decides to sell, the buyer has to have one done through their lender.
If he has a friend that is a Realtor, they can come close to what the value is.

TCURiggs

Anybody in here looking for a football parking spot in Lot 5? That's the parking garage lot, and my spot is on the East perimeter of the lot (not in the garage) and backs up to the grass outside the ranch management building.

I'm looking to sell mine and take over my friend's spot, who is on the South perimeter of that lot, since he's getting rid of his and it's closer to our tailgate. I'm just looking to get rid of it at cost, which is either $2k or $2.5k (can't remember right now), so let me know if anyone has some interest.

Thanks.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
A

A private appraisal won’t end up with the county. If he decides to refi, the lender won’t accept his appraisal, a new one has to be done through the lender. If he decides to sell, the buyer has to have one done through their lender.
If he has a friend that is a Realtor, they can come close to what the value is.
Thank you sir. Will show him this information.

SnoSki

HASMSP advice sought:

I used to be a licensed appraiser trainee, believe it or not. The results of the private appraisal are confidential. Your friend has nothing to worry about.

Edit: zebras answer was much more thorough and also accurate.

Chico Dusty

I was under the impression that all the victims were connected somehow? Has that changed?

Yeah - bomb went off last night around 8:30 - totally different MO - this bomb was a trip wire, nail bomb that was connected to yard sign. 2 white males (I say that because initially reports thought it could be racially motivated) in their early 20s were riding their bikes and triggered it. They are in critical condition with serious injuries. This was also in a diff part of town - SW Austin, in a nicer neighborhood. Messed up

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Yeah - bomb went off last night around 8:30 - totally different MO - this bomb was a trip wire, nail bomb that was connected to yard sign. 2 white males (I say that because initially reports thought it could be racially motivated) in their early 20s were riding their bikes and triggered it. They are in critical condition with serious injuries. This was also in a diff part of town - SW Austin, in a nicer neighborhood. Messed up
Terrible... It will be extremely interesting to see if this is ends up being some local lone wolf with a local beef, or is meant to be a larger statement connected to SXSW.

TCURiggs

Terrible... It will be extremely interesting to see if this is ends up being some local lone wolf with a local beef, or is meant to be a larger statement connected to SXSW.

I think the first one was before SXSW, and I don't believe any of them have been in the SXSW areas, so I wouldn't think that's the case.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I think the first one was before SXSW, and I don't believe any of them have been in the SXSW areas, so I wouldn't think that's the case.
Hopefully not. Bizarre and violent way to get a point across regardless.

Now if it came out that the timing and general location was indeed part of the planning and involved the extra media scrutiny in Austin at that time... to me that would show a reckless, attention-seeking individual more than anything. I think those types are more dangerous and less predictable.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Has anyone seen Art Briles lately? Just saying.