• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Directv was scheduled for a month to be here this past Monday. I informed them they needed a tall ladder to be able to put dish on my roof. Guy shows up, looks at house and says he doesn't have a ladder tall enough. So we reschedule to today. They, meaning DTV, request to have the tech out at the first appointment at 8am. I consented to their request. At 10:50 the dude called and said he would be an hour. After two hours I called him and he said he was still waiting on a big enough ladder. Finally showed at 2:30. Installed dish on roof and let me know he was going to lunch. It's been 90 minutes.

These motherdarners are going to keep me in my house for 12 hours today. And I bet I don't have everything installed when he says he has to go and needs to schedule a time to come back.

16 year DTV customer and I still don't know why. When it's done my phone call to their customer retention department will be fun.

For you guys that like "real" country music with "lots of fiddle, steel, and guitar," a local FW guy by the name of Steve Stewart has just completed a new album you can preview online. Go to store.cdbaby.com and see if it pops up. The name of the album is "One More Honkytonk Song." Keep in mind this is truly traditional country.

Purp

Directv was scheduled for a month to be here this past Monday. I informed them they needed a tall ladder to be able to put dish on my roof. Guy shows up, looks at house and says he doesn't have a ladder tall enough. So we reschedule to today. They, meaning DTV, request to have the tech out at the first appointment at 8am. I consented to their request. At 10:50 the dude called and said he would be an hour. After two hours I called him and he said he was still waiting on a big enough ladder. Finally showed at 2:30. Installed dish on roof and let me know he was going to lunch. It's been 90 minutes.

These motherdarners are going to keep me in my house for 12 hours today. And I bet I don't have everything installed when he says he has to go and needs to schedule a time to come back.

16 year DTV customer and I still don't know why. When it's done my phone call to their customer retention department will be fun.
I hated DTV. I'll never go back. They were awful with customer service when technical issues came up that couldn't be resolved over the phone.

Purp

Need some sage council on HOAs.

We build and moved into our neighborhood 2 years ago partly bc the HOA dues were so low I expected it wouldn't be as onerous as others I know about around town. Until January this year they were a management company and almost non-existent. There wasn't a formal set of bylaws, committees, and rules until the first elections this year.

Since that time I know of 6 houses of the 8 in my immediate vicinity who have received some sort of threatening letter. We got one last month for the swing set I put in the back yard after Christmas 2 years ago when there wasn't an architectural committee. Now they want me to submit an application for it or they'll fine me. You can't even see it from the street. Our neighbors can't have have things like basketball goals or remove dirt mounds around the trees in front of their houses.

My question is how best to resist this type of encroachment on my liberty since my signature is on a document I signed at closing agreeing to pay dues. I'm planning to run for the board presidency and pretend like it doesn't exist for the balance of my term. Somehow I don't think that will create a permanent reprieve.

A broader question is from where do these clowns get this authority? If the majority of the neighbors wanted to get rid of the HOA, could we? The fining policy letter they sent out makes it sound like the city/county put certain deed restrictions on the development requiring an HOA.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Need more help from the HASMSPers. I'm at a cross roads. I currently have 8 season tickets. The opportunity has presented itself to move down in the +6 section behind our bench with beer service. Do I:

A) seize this golden opportunity for myself and enjoy it's laurels or
B) buy the tickets, list on stubhub for opposing fans, and raise maniacs blood pressure?

A

Peacefrog

Degenerate

We build and moved into our neighborhood 2 years ago partly bc the HOA dues were so low I expected it wouldn't be as onerous as others I know about around town. Until January this year they were a management company and almost non-existent. There wasn't a formal set of bylaws, committees, and rules until the first elections this year.

Since that time I know of 6 houses of the 8 in my immediate vicinity who have received some sort of threatening letter. We got one last month for the swing set I put in the back yard after Christmas 2 years ago when there wasn't an architectural committee. Now they want me to submit an application for it or they'll fine me. You can't even see it from the street. Our neighbors can't have have things like basketball goals or remove dirt mounds around the trees in front of their houses.

My question is how best to resist this type of encroachment on my liberty since my signature is on a document I signed at closing agreeing to pay dues. I'm planning to run for the board presidency and pretend like it doesn't exist for the balance of my term. Somehow I don't think that will create a permanent reprieve.

A broader question is from where do these clowns get this authority? If the majority of the neighbors wanted to get rid of the HOA, could we? The fining policy letter they sent out makes it sound like the city/county put certain deed restrictions on the development requiring an HOA.
HOA's are the absolute worst. Very little you can do. The HOA in my last neighborhood was so onerous and outrageous that I had a hard time living there because of it. I am so happy to no longer be in an HOA neighborhood. Darn that noise.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Still here. Told me I had to take tv's off wall because he can't work behind them (like every other tech has) and is leaving the boxes and tv's on floor. He's super accommodating. I want to throw his ass out but that would be counter productive at this point.

TCURiggs

Still here. Told me I had to take tv's off wall because he can't work behind them (like every other tech has) and is leaving the boxes and tv's on floor. He's super accommodating. I want to throw his ass out but that would be counter productive at this point.

Oh boy. That pisses me off just reading it. Godspeed.

netty2424

Almost nothing you can do. HOA's have a ridiculous amount of authority. So much that they have the power in some cases to foreclose on a home if home owner is non-compliant.

Was this architectural committee voted in? Or did it just show up amongst a group of friendly neighbors?

Horny 4 Life

Long story short: had a good offer to work on a Texas project, let my client know I would be leaving, they wanted to keep me so they created a company position for me and beat the offer in Texas so I moved closer to the company office.

Congrats! I'll have to get the full scoop sometime soon. I'll give you a call over the weekend.

Purp

HOA's are the absolute worst. Very little you can do. The HOA in my last neighborhood was so onerous and outrageous that I had a hard time living there because of it. I am so happy to no longer be in an HOA neighborhood. that noise.
They claim to impose these rules to preserve property value, but they make me value my property less. I kinda want to move and might be willing to accept less to get out of this nonsense.

Purp

Almost nothing you can do. HOA's have a ridiculous amount of authority. So much that they have the power in some cases to foreclose on a home if home owner is non-compliant.

Was this architectural committee voted in? Or did it just show up amongst a group of friendly neighbors?
Pretty sure they voted them in at the first meetingnin January. I wasn't able to attend so I'm not certain, but that's when things started to get stupid.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

When you bought your house, you became a member of the HOA--a status you can only change by selling said property.

You should have received a copy of the HOA Bylaws and the relevant HOA CCR's (covenants, codes, and restrictions) governing your HOA neighborhood when you closed on your house. Note: these CCR's are embodied in city/county code as an integral part of the Planned Unit Development documents/plans the developer provided to the city/county planning commissions for approval of the project.

Covenants can only be changed by a supermajority vote of the homeowners (in my current HOA it takes 75% approval). Similar stipulations are also found in state law (like in OK).

Be careful, because the covenants (and potentially state law) gives the HOA the power to take adverse legal (and financial) action against you if you don't pay your HOA dues or comply with the covenants.

Sorry, but you can't get rid of the HOA without the appropriate supermajority vote of all HOA members--and, in some states, you can't even put that issue to a vote for a specified number of years.

It's common practice that as a new housing development is built, the HOA = the developer because he starts our owning 100% of the lots. Then, as the number of homeowners increase (and the number of lots owned by the developer decreases), HOA responsibilities shift from the developer to a duly elected board of directors selected by vote of all legal homeowners. In some cases, a management company is hired by the developer to handle all the HOA stuff so he can focus on building houses (this was the case with my HOA in San Antonio). If your HOA is in transition from developer to homeowner control, make sure your HOA board makes the developer correct any problems in the development before the formal handover occurs.

Bottom line: You're stuck. You knew you were buying in a HOA-controlled development. There's a legal document in your closing papers that says so.

"I didn't know there were rules" or "I never got a copy of the rules" excuses don't work.

Finally, if you get on the HOA board and don't enforce the CCR's, any homeowner can sue your arse for not doing so. (And the HOA Officers & Directors policy won't cover you if negligence is involved.)