• The KillerFrogs

GP might have to do with SRob what he did with Dalton

Eight

Last year Georgia & Clemson were winning with true freshman QB'S.

you are comparing our level of talent with georgia and clemson?

uga is a round first, round second and then possibly throw on third down offense and don't even try to compare the talent across the offensive lines.

in regards to clemson i guess you are talking about kelly bryant who was a junior when he first was named the starter, he threw 13 td's and 8 int's last year and once again are we trying to compare personnel with clemson? really?

tech is a good example, they run a very quarterback friendly system that won't get run in ft worth with gary, and they have an experienced offensive line. they have over 70 career starts and three are multi-year starters.

Eight

Seriously. aOSU has been in the same situation with a rookie and won big games. Then their 3rd string won a frigging National Championship... Do our coaches suck that much and Patterson is just being too stubborn to make some heads roll.

you really aren't going that route are you?

do you even have a clue the talent ohio state had on that offense?

2 first round picks in their offensive line, 1 3rd round pick, 1 nfl fa, 2 receivers in the nfl including one who just set a franchise record for catches with the saints, and a decent running back who i think is in the nfl. that is just the offensive side of the ball

NewFrogFan

you are comparing our level of talent with georgia and clemson?

uga is a round first, round second and then possibly throw on third down offense and don't even try to compare the talent across the offensive lines.

in regards to clemson i guess you are talking about kelly bryant who was a junior when he first was named the starter, he threw 13 td's and 8 int's last year and once again are we trying to compare personnel with clemson? really?

tech is a good example, they run a very quarterback friendly system that won't get run in ft worth with gary, and they have an experienced offensive line. they have over 70 career starts and three are multi-year starters.

I think Georgia, what is it 2 years removed from Mark Richt, was wondering how TCU did it for 10 years or more. I wonder where those guys are that DEMAND a Head Coach MUST have HC experience before taking "their" job. "This Georgia", literally happened overnight. Kelly Bryant will be carrying a clipboard fulltime very soon.

Horny4TCU

There is no might. He needs to ride the pine and think about what he's done.

The only reason I think GP might not have, is the difference in character from an older millennial like Dalton and a young one like Robinson. These kids aren't built the same. You might break his snowflake heart, by not giving him a participation trophy.

arlington

Jt Daniels was 30/42 for nearly 400 yards against Texas he hardly was the reason they lost to Texas. Bowman has been fantastic at Tech. This is really simple. We arent close to good enough to where our QB can turn the ball over in such dramatic fashion. How many pick 6 can one guy give up before the strength the team, the defense, loses their mojo?

If Robinson was making sensational plays to counter his negative plays it would be worth dealing with. But his negatives thus far are vastly superior to his few good plays and he is singlehandedly losing games with back breaking turnovers

ShreveFrog

My hope is there’s some competition from Collins in practice this week to apply some heat on SR. Get him focused. Fix mistakes, especially ball security when on the run.

Chico Dusty

I think the benching for turnovers is an archaic way of thinking/coaching. It can do more harm than good, and if you study sports psychology, you would agree. I think the only way a QB should sit is if he lost his job to the guy behind him. If #3 is having issues reading the defense, or whatever the issue is - you think having him worry about coach yanking him because he made a mistake will help? It will just add to the list of things he’s trying to process. You want someone as talented as him to play light and free and let it rip. Sure he is going to make mistakes, but if you truly trust and believe in his talent, then you gotta ride with that and let him figure it out on the field. If if he can’t, find a permanent replacement.

Eight

Jt Daniels was 30/42 for nearly 400 yards against Texas he hardly was the reason they lost to Texas. Bowman has been fantastic at Tech. This is really simple. We arent close to good enough to where our QB can turn the ball over in such dramatic fashion. How many pick 6 can one guy give up before the strength the team, the defense, loses their mojo?

If Robinson was making sensational plays to counter his negative plays it would be worth dealing with. But his negatives thus far are vastly superior to his few good plays and he is singlehandedly losing games with back breaking turnovers

in the 3rd quarter when the game was in the balance daniels was 5 of 10 for 65 yards and 53 of those yards were on 1 play.

when it mattered the most he couldn't make the plays against the texas defense and what went from a close game changed to a comfortable win.

you are right, he wasn't the sole reason, they had no running game, made special teams mistake, and their defense got beat a couple of times. sound familar?

robinson has had 1 pick 6, he has made mistakes, he must play better, and he also needs help from his team mates.

the simple matter you believe he single handed cost tcu these last two game is stunning when you can go through each game and tick off multiple missed opportunities that weren't dependent upon robinson

CountryFrog

I bet if our last two games were against Houston and Ok State then we'd probably have far fewer turnovers and no one would be complaining about our QB. I also bet if SR was starting for Alabama right now that Bama would be scoring 50 on everyone just like they currently are.

It's easy to cherry pick examples of young QBs having strong performances because they're surrounded by unbelievable talent and/or have played nothing but horrible defenses so far.

CountryFrog

I saw the Clemson freshman bounce a screen pass off the back of his offensive lineman's head yesterday that resulted in an INT. They still went on to win the game easily because they've got a loaded roster on defense and Georgia Tech is pathetic. If SR had made a throw like that then people would be on here criticizing him to no end. But instead there are some people wondering why our young QB can't play as well as the Clemson freshman, who isn't even a starter by the way.

Horny4TCU

I bet if our last two games were against Houston and Ok State then we'd probably have far fewer turnovers and no one would be complaining about our QB. I also bet if SR was starting for Alabama right now that Bama would be scoring 50 on everyone just like they currently are.

It's easy to cherry pick examples of young QBs having strong performances because they're surrounded by unbelievable talent and/or have played nothing but horrible defenses so far.

I saw the Clemson freshman bounce a screen pass off the back of his offensive lineman's head yesterday that resulted in an INT. They still went on to win the game easily because they've got a loaded roster on defense and Georgia Tech is pathetic. If SR had made a throw like that then people would be on here criticizing him to no end. But instead there are some people wondering why our young QB can't play as well as the Clemson freshman, who isn't even a starter by the way.
Well if it's not SR, then it's coaching, if it's not coaching it's recruiting... then it still falls on coaches.

Either way someone isn't doing their job developing talent and getting that talent here. It worked in the Mountain West, but it ain't gonna work in the Big 12. We got lucky with Doctson, but where is the rest of the NFL caliber talent we need to be recruiting and developing?

CountryFrog

Robinson had similar numbers against Ohio St as Daniels had against Texas so he's pretty clearly capable just like Daniels.

CountryFrog

Well if it's not SR, then it's coaching, if it's not coaching it recruiting... then it still falls on coaches.

Either way someone isn't doing their job developing talent and getting that talent here. It worked in the Mountain West, but it ain't gonna work in the Big 12. We got lucky with Doctson, but where is the rest of the NFL caliber talent we need to be recruiting and developing?
So let me get this straight. You're blaming the coaching staff for not getting as much talent into the program as Alabama and Clemson have? If those are your expectations then that's on you, not the coaching staff. TCU is NEVER going to have the type of talent rolling through its program that Alabama has right now, and even getting to Clemson's level is probably unrealistic.

pgdaly84

The biggest concern about Shawn is between the ears. He has no clue how to read a defense. He also has sloppy mechanics and throws off his back foot constantly. Almost like a fadeaway jump shot. I blame a good chunk of it on Cumbie. He’s failed to develop one QB that he’s recruited into a competent starter. Sawyer, Muehlstein, and Wooten have all been busts. Robinson has athletic talent, but he seems very unpolished for a sophomore QB in this era. Cumbie is great at getting highly rated QB’s to campus, and he seems like a genuinely great person and family man. Just not seeing much from him as a developer of QB talent or as an in game strategist.

CountryFrog

The biggest concern about Shawn is between the ears. He has no clue how to read a defense. He also has sloppy mechanics and throws off his back foot constantly. Almost like a fadeaway jump shot. I blame a good chunk of it on Cumbie. He’s failed to develop one QB that he’s recruited into a competent starter. Sawyer, Muehlstein, and Wooten have all been busts. Robinson has athletic talent, but he seems very unpolished for a sophomore QB in this era. Cumbie is great at getting highly rated QB’s to campus, and he seems like a genuinely great person and family man. Just not seeing much from him as a developer of QB talent or as an in game strategist.
Maybe we give Shawn more than 4 games before declaring that Cumbie is unable to develop QBs. Especially since he did a hell of a job with Boykin, and I thought he got the most out of Kenny Hill last year too.

Horny4TCU

So let me get this straight. You're blaming the coaching staff for not getting as much talent into the program as Alabama and Clemson have? If those are your expectations then that's on you, not the coaching staff. TCU is NEVER going to have the type of talent rolling through its program that Alabama has right now, and even getting to Clemson's level is probably unrealistic.
I don't expect TCU to ever get to Alabama's level, but I do expect them to get to a National Title. There is no reason we shouldn't, we've had the talent to do so in the past and the 2010 and 2014 teams should have competed for it. But the drop off from those teams isn't going in the right direction. There are growing pains, but why can't our coaching staff get their stuff together and do what (I cringe saying this) Baylor did, and plug players in and having the type of offense they did during the rapelor years? Or what about what Washington is doing? Peterson and Patterson I feel are very similar, but Peterson seems to be making the transition, where Patterson is being too stubborn and keeping coaches he shouldn't and not getting the one's he needs for a natty.

Wexahu

Maybe we give Shawn more than 4 games before declaring that Cumbie is unable to develop QBs. Especially since he did a hell of a job with Boykin, and I thought he got the most out of Kenny Hill last year too.

A lot of Boykin's greatness was just an inate ability to create when the pocket broke down, he just had a knack. Even at the end of his career, I never considered him to be particularly polished in terms of being a fundamentally sound QB.

Horny4TCU

A lot of Boykin's greatness was just an inate ability to create when the pocket broke down, he just had a knack. Even at the end of his career, I never considered him to be particularly polished in terms of being a fundamentally sound QB.
Agreed. He hid our huge deficiency at OL, by being the most elusive QB. It also didn't hurt to have a WR that could catch anything.