• The KillerFrogs

Gary Patterson on 1660 ESPN Radio

joefrog91

Coach Patterson will be on for a 14 minute interview with David Smoak on 1660 ESPN radio here in Waco. You can stream the show on www.1660ESPN.com. He should be on around 4:25pm.

joejordan

Coach Patterson will be on for a 14 minute interview with David Smoak on 1660 ESPN radio here in Waco. You can stream the show on www.1660ESPN.com. He should be on around 4:25pm.
Here is a verbatim preview:

On this week's game against Baylor ...
"It's obviously a big game this week. Anytime you play anybody in state, it's an emotional game. It has to do with recruiting. It has to do with bragging rights. It has to do with all those kinds of things."

On facing Baylor this week ...
"Coach (Art) Briles and his staff have done a great job. I've got two really good friends on their staff. Brian Norwood is the defensive coordinator. Larry Hoefer was on the Texas Tech staff under Spike Dykes."

On Baylor's recent improvement ...
"I admire the job they're doing. They've gotten a lot faster on defense. They are very physical. Offensively, they've got great speed at their skill positions. They're big up front. They're playing well in special teams. They're what you expect from anyone in the state of Texas who recruits Texas. They've got good players. We've got to get ready to play."

On preparing for Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III ...
"He can run around. Obviously, he's a great athlete. He's a guy who probably, one day, will be able to go to the Olympic trials in the hurdles. He has world-class speed. You have to worry about that. He can throw the football. He makes good decisions. The team plays with a lot more confidence when he's on the field than they did a year ago."

On anyone he's faced in the past that compares to Robert Griffin III ...
"If I had to pick anyone, it would probably be Brian Johnson at Utah when he was healthy. When he ran around as a younger player, he was a great athlete who made good decisions. You always had to worry about him beating you with his feet."

On Baylor's offensive mentality ...
"They do a great job of running personnel in and out of the ball game. You have to be on your toes. You have to be able to play formations and be ready to play. It's always a lot of fun to play an Art Briles team because you have to be on top of your game all night long."

On the emotions of his players facing an in-state school ...
"Every time we've ever played one, it's been an emotional game. I think anytime you play people in state, it's going to be a fun game for them. Whether it's Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M or Texas Tech, or even Oklahoma, you see a bunch of kids giving hugs and shaking hands after the game. They played against each other in high school or played on the same teams. I've said this before, for three hours you've got to hate each other because that's the way the game is."

On if the rivalry still exists from the Southwest Conference days ...
"I don't think it's gone away for the alumni. I think all that stuff still holds in play, which is the fun part. That's why you're going to see a standing room only crowd this Saturday for the Baylor game. Plus, our fans know what kind of players Baylor has. For us to win, just like the Oregon State game, we need to have a good crowd to help us. The crowd did against Oregon State, especially the last half of the ball game. It's going to be a fun game. It will be kind of like the old Southwest Conference. We're even going to play in the daytime."

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I loved the part where Patterson said Baylor was a step up from whale vomit.

maybe I just imagined him saying that.

Trelvis

- Likes having older players come back and share their success with him. Thats what coaching is about. Wins and losses keep your job but your judged on what type of people you produce.

- Baylor has been building over the past couple of seasons.

- Things happen for a reason. Baylor went to Big XII and we didnt. Nobody ever said that TCU didnt want Baylor in the MWC. He wants to know if Baylor would vote for TCU to be in the Big XII if it came down to it. There are two sides. No bitterness.

joefrog91

How bitter? "Speed baby" bitter?????

I was at work so I couldn't catch everything, but there was one point where he brought up that TCU never had a hand in the "keeping Baylor out of the MWC" debate. It seemed out of place in the conversation. He sounded a little agitated about some of the questions. But that could have just meant he was focused on the task at hand. He's dialed in.