• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Baylor, Whatever Its Called Now Edition (Nov 18, 2023; 2:30PM)

FrogBall09

No FG attempts either.

Fumble (at the 2)
Downs (at the 2)
TD
TD
End of half
TD
TD
TD
TD
Downs (with backups, trying to run clock)

My condolences to the KB haters.
It was Baylor…they are the worst team on the B12 this year

So again KB proves he can out scheme crappy teams…

If only we played in SMUs conference

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Condolences. Maybe you’ll get to complain more next week.

End of the day he did a mediocre job this year unless he pulls a miracle and beats OU. 5-7 is a very bad year. Hell 7-5 would have been acceptable.

Granted the DC did absolutely atrocious. 7 returning starters and the defense was average to awful most of the year.

Tshirt Fan

No FG attempts either.

Fumble (at the 2)
Downs (at the 2)
TD
TD
End of half
TD
TD
TD
TD
Downs (with backups, trying to run clock)

My condolences to the KB haters.
Nah, you don't get a pass on this, yet. TCU offense has been a smouldering mess all year long. Repeatedly we've witnessed unwatchable football, befuddling play calls that failed, and an apparent lack of game preparation and an inability or unwillingness to adjust in the first quarter, half time, third quarter, or when the game is on the line.

Would really enjoy TCU winning at OU and then winning our bowl game, then I will concede your point.

Wexahu

End of the day he did a mediocre job this year unless he pulls a miracle and beats OU. 5-7 is a very bad year. Hell 7-5 would have been acceptable.

Granted the DC did absolutely atrocious. 7 returning starters and the defense was average to awful most of the year.
Relative to the entire team’s performance and the personnel, the amount of blame (and attention for that matter) going to the OC is totally out of whack.

Listen to you….if “he” pulls off a miracle. I mean, he hasn’t been great, but he hasn’t been NEAR as bad as what some of you claim. There’s way more to our problems than our OC.

If the defense is average to awful what record should we have with basically all new WRs, running backs, and interior OL? Not to mention either a QB who some think isn’t D1 caliber or a redshirt freshman.

Wexahu

Nah, you don't get a pass on this, yet. TCU offense has been a smouldering mess all year long. Repeatedly we've witnessed unwatchable football, befuddling play calls that failed, and an apparent lack of game preparation and an inability or unwillingness to adjust in the first quarter, half time, third quarter, or when the game is on the line.

Would really enjoy TCU winning at OU and then winning our bowl game, then I will concede your point.
Sorry, I know stats don't tell the entire story but an offense that averages 455 ypg and 29 ppg cannot be described as a "smoldering mess".

Out of 130 FBS teams we are 56th in PPG, 16th in YPG and 33rd in YPP. Again, with almost entirely new players except for the OT's. That's not great by any means, but its also not a smoldering mess. Not really even close.

Frog-in-law1995

Sorry, I know stats don't tell the entire story but an offense that averages 455 ypg and 29 ppg cannot be described as a "smoldering mess".

Out of 130 FBS teams we are 56th in PPG, 16th in YPG and 33rd in YPP. Again, with almost entirely new players except for the OT's. That's not great by any means, but it’s also not a smoldering mess. Not really even close.
46th in scoring, 14th in total offense after yesterday.

Last edited:

Tshirt Fan

Out of 130 FBS teams we are 56th in PPG, 16th in YPG and 33rd in YPP. Again, with almost entirely new players except for the OT's. That's not great by any means, but its also not a smoldering mess. Not really even close.
Wexahu, Scoring is the only meaningful metric you shared and 56th is non-competitive.
Even more meaningful, what about red zone scoring?
Where is TCU ranked in red zone scoring? (Hint, it's a "smoldering mess")

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Relative to the entire team’s performance and the personnel, the amount of blame (and attention for that matter) going to the OC is totally out of whack.

Listen to you….if “he” pulls off a miracle. I mean, he hasn’t been great, but he hasn’t been NEAR as bad as what some of you claim. There’s way more to our problems than our OC.

If the defense is average to awful what record should we have with basically all new WRs, running backs, and interior OL? Not to mention either a QB who some think isn’t D1 caliber or a redshirt freshman.

Zero excuse for Iowa State Game, WVU second half, Colorado loss, blowout dumpster fire versus Kstate and Tech first half. List goes on and on. Yea Briles has has been than Gillespie but that’s a very very low bar.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Wexahu, Scoring is the only meaningful metric you shared and 56th is non-competitive.

Yes when you consistently fail in the red zone more than nearly every team in the country that’s awful.

I don’t care about the Briles Baylor stuff. He’s not near as bad as Gillespie. He should have been fired during the season. Briles I’m fine with staying especially if he can recruit.

Have to fix the redzone issues, have to let Hoover run to have any chance of winning OU game

Last edited:

Wexahu

No, it isn't. Scoring is dependent on more things than quality of offense. Our defense has caused 10 TOs all season, so we hardly ever get short fields. Last year we forced 26. In 2014 we forced 41. You don't think that helps an offense score more points? Yards per play isn't a perfect stat, but it's the best one to gauge an offense over a season. We are 33rd in that stat. not great, but FAR from bad. Better than.....Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Albama, Iowa State, Penn State, Clemson, Colordao, the list goes on.

Frog Attack II

Not a Briles fan... Let me say that... But the fact that some of you just give these players (many of whom are getting paid) absolutely no accountability is beyond me.

Drops, bad interceptions, fumbles, getting dominated at the line of scrimmage, getting owned in several games, missing blocks completely, running bad routes, horrible penalties, etc. I don't know of a play caller that would ask for that.

Sure. Some of the calls are infuriating... But there hasn't been a year where that hasn't been the case (except for 2010 and 2014). Remember Schultz? Heck, even last year, many were saying Riley cost us the big 12 championship (no QB sneak for Duggan).

Some of what he's done has been good and well thought out... Others not. Some of it is trying to overcome deficiencies of players that he didn't recruit. To think this team could overcome the loss of 5 NFL guys was probably crazy.

Wexahu

Zero excuse for Iowa State Game, WVU second half, Colorado loss, blowout dumpster fire versus Kstate and Tech first half. List goes on and on. Yea Briles has has been than Gillespie but that’s a very very low bar.
I'm not making excuses, I'm pointing out facts.

The guy we had as OC last year who won the Assistant Coach of the Year award has a 5-star QB playing for him this year. This "terrible" TCU offense averages 48 more yards, more than a yard more per play, and the same ppg despite his defense creating 12 less turnovers than last year's assistant of the year.

Our defense (with I think 7 returning starters) is 86th in yards allowed, 69th in yards per play allowed, and 117th in creating turnovers. Our offense (with 3 returning starters) is outperforming the offense of last year's Assistant Coach of the Year in basically every metric and people want to say one of our biggest problems is the OC.

It's just a really bad argument and people that make it either just hate KB or are just really dumb. All things considered, he hasn't been bad and is far from our biggest problem.

Wexahu

Not a Briles fan... Let me say that... But the fact that some of you just give these players (many of whom are getting paid) absolutely no accountability is beyond me.

Drops, bad interceptions, fumbles, getting dominated at the line of scrimmage, getting owned in several games, missing blocks completely, running bad routes, horrible penalties, etc. I don't know of a play caller that would ask for that.

Sure. Some of the calls are infuriating... But there hasn't been a year where that hasn't been the case (except for 2010 and 2014). Remember Schultz? Heck, even last year, many were saying Riley cost us the big 12 championship (no QB sneak for Duggan).

Some of what he's done has been good and well thought out... Others not. Some of it is trying to overcome deficiencies of players that he didn't recruit. To think this team could overcome the loss of 5 NFL guys was probably crazy.
Get out of here with this crap. It's all on Briles. Every bit of it, every time the offense doesn't score it's squarely on him and nobody or nothing else.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
I'm not making excuses, I'm pointing out facts.

The guy we had as OC last year who won the Assistant Coach of the Year award has a 5-star QB playing for him this year. This "terrible" TCU offense averages 48 more yards, more than a yard more per play, and the same ppg despite his defense creating 12 less turnovers than last year's assistant of the year.

Our defense (with I think 7 returning starters) is 86th in yards allowed, 69th in yards per play allowed, and 117th in creating turnovers. Our offense (with 3 returning starters) is outperforming the offense of last year's Assistant Coach of the Year in basically every metric and people want to say one of our biggest problems is the OC.

It's just a really bad argument and people that make it either just hate KB or are just really dumb. All things considered, he hasn't been bad and is far from our biggest problem.

Agree but the red zone dumpster fire needs to be fixed. Scoring zero against WVU in the 2nd half and Tech in the 1st half was bad too. Those are bad defenses that we simply didn’t adjust to.

Hoping he finds a way to make proper adjustments he’s gotten out-coached several times. Maybe a ton of it is on the players hopefully we improve next year and don’t do what the defense did this year.

Tshirt Fan

No, it isn't. Scoring is dependent on more things than quality of offense. Our defense has caused 10 TOs all season, so we hardly ever get short fields. Last year we forced 26. In 2014 we forced 41. You don't think that helps an offense score more points? Yards per play isn't a perfect stat, but it's the best one to gauge an offense over a season. We are 33rd in that stat. not great, but FAR from bad. Better than.....Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Albama, Iowa State, Penn State, Clemson, Colordao, the list goes on.
Wexahu,

To solve an issue, start with results and work backwards to the root cause. TCU has a losing record. The results are a losing record. Ok, why? TCU has scored fewer points than opponents. Why has TCU scored fewer points than opponents? What is the most likely cause? Oh, look, PPG is the worst of the 3 you listed. Why is TCU PPG so mediocre? What about Red Zone percentage? How is TCU performance in the Red Zone? A smoldering mess?

At the end of the day, nobody cares about YPG or YPP, it's the results (wins, scores and character) that count.

Last edited: