• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU at West Virginia; Morning Moonshine Edition

Deep Purple

Apparently the refs cost WVU the game. At least according to their coach on a pass interference non-call.

Under "What Neal Brown Said.."

"If our kid doesn’t have a chance to make a play, then it has to be pass interference."

Um... I kinda thought that was the purpose of pass defense -- to deny the receiver an opportunity to make a play. Is Brown saying that if the defender accomplishes this, that's de facto pass interference? Then why pass-defend at all?

Reminds me of those receivers who, every time they fail to make a catch, immediately start waving their arms for a flag -- as if the only reason they could possibly miss a catch is pass interference. Baylor's receivers do that a lot.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I hope Dykes includes that little tidbit in a call to the league office on Monday. If these refs aren't going to call those holding then it needs to be consistent so we can do the same.
It is terrible how much variation there is between crews. Hell, how much variation within a particular crew from week to week. I know ZebraFrog used to tell that there were pre-season seminars for Officials, and various video studies that they were to watch and memorize. He actually put up one which featured Walt Anderson telling us What Targeting Was and What It Was Not. Listening to Walt Anderson narrate anything is a sure-fire cure for insomnia, but this video left me more confused than I was before I watched it. I suppose we're left with that Jurist's judgement of pRon: "I know it when I see it." Helluva way to run a railroad...

SwissArmyFrog

Neal didn't seem to notice that his receiver was falling *away* from the defender as he was reaching for the ball. If the ball was short and the receiver tried to get to the ball by going thru the receiver, he'd have a point under the rules (as I understand it, anyway).

Personally, I feel a defender should be entitled to his position.

"If our kid doesn’t have a chance to make a play, then it has to be pass interference." - WVU Head Coach

Wexahu

Neal didn't seem to notice that his receiver was falling *away* from the defender as he was reaching for the ball. If the ball was short and the receiver tried to get to the ball by going thru the receiver, he'd have a point under the rules (as I understand it, anyway).

Personally, I feel a defender should be entitled to his position.
What about if your punt returner doesn’t have a chance to catch a punt after he calls for a fair catch?

SwissArmyFrog

What about if your punt returner doesn’t have a chance to catch a punt after he calls for a fair catch?

That's what the halo rule is in the books for. But I admit, I didn't know yesterday what the rule is when an opposing player pushes his own man, who in turn hits our player who hits their player who hits our punt returner (hope I got the chain right!) :p