• The KillerFrogs

Game Thread: Frogs vs Jayhawks

Eight

Our screens are horrendous. Our post don’t even make contact which is the fault of whoever is trying to get open typically. Can say the same on the pick in roll. Our screen slips every time. That is a great tool if you do it every once in awhile but not every time. Last night Kansas didn’t allow the guard to turn the corner and the screener isn’t a threat from the outside. Kansas knew that and basically took away the entire play by doubling the ball. I think the new rule that the screener’s feet can’t be wider than his shoulders has decreased the ability to set a solid screen with the worry of being called for an illegal screen

this is something i have never understood and it is something that definitely can and is taught and not simply intuitive

the timing just has not looked insync, i agree the bigs often don't seem to get in position to properly set the screen, and i don't understand why we want that screen set 28 feet from the basket

Last edited:

Realtorfrog

Our screens are horrendous. Our post don’t even make contact which is the fault of whoever is trying to get open typically. Can say the same on the pick in roll. Our screen slips every time. That is a great tool if you do it every once in awhile but not every time. Last night Kansas didn’t allow the guard to turn the corner and the screener isn’t a threat from the outside. Kansas knew that and basically took away the entire play by doubling the ball. I think the new rule that the screener’s feet can’t be wider than his shoulders has decreased the ability to set a solid screen with the worry of being called for an illegal screen
They keyed on this all night...... jump out on the ball and then bring a guy in to the paint to pick up the person rolling to the basket.

Agree the charging call against us was BS. Don’t agree with your complaining about a no call on Robinson.....he spends so much time out of control the Refs are never going to give him that 50/50 call. IF he were playing against us and foul were called we’d all be claiming KU owns the Big XII Refs!

I agree he is out of control a lot, but they showed the replay and the guy slid right into him and tripped him.

Eight

I'm fine with everything on that last possession except that Davis didn't have the ball. Hell when he got the ball with 4 seconds left he was actually able to get around the defender for a decent shot even though it was late.

i don't understand what alex saw on that last possession. the defender was sitting on his left shoulder and was not going to let him go left.

it was exactly how they played him for most of the game and they were begging him to go right. heck. they dared him to go right.

i don't know why he didn't recognize how they had been defending for much of the game and got the ball back to kendric

PO Frog

this is something i have never understood and it is something that definitely can and is taught and not simply intuitive

the timing just has not looked insync, i agree the bigs often don't seem to get in position to properly set the screen, and i don't understand why we want that screen set 28 feet from the basket
If we had the ability to hit Samuel as he slips the screen, and provided he can catch it at the FT line and finish as the late help is coming over, the play would make sense. But we are unable or unwilling to hit Samuel on the move right after he slips the screen. Maybe he doesn't have the ability to make that catch and finish from that far out, but he would be on the move and be able to take two steps for a layup against a late-arriving helper. It is wide open every time but I assume he is not capable of catching and finishing since we only throw ally oops to him right at the rim. However, if we aren't going to pass it to him and they are doubling ARob, what is the point of continually running it? We literally do it every possession.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
If we had the ability to hit Samuel as he slips the screen, and provided he can catch it at the FT line and finish as the late help is coming over, the play would make sense. But we are unable or unwilling to hit Samuel on the move right after he slips the screen. Maybe he doesn't have the ability to make that catch and finish from that far out, but he would be on the move and be able to take two steps for a layup against a late-arriving helper. It is wide open every time but I assume he is not capable of catching and finishing since we only throw ally oops to him right at the rim. However, if we aren't going to pass it to him and they are doubling ARob, what is the point of continually running it? We literally do it every possession.
I've wondered this too. From my seat or TV, it usually looks like there is a pass available to rolling KS to try to finish near the rim. But I guess it's not obvious or doesn't look like a wise pass on ground level.

4th. down

It was a communication mistake that is ultimately on Dixon. In that situation a player on the court has to call timeout, not Dixon. That obviously didn't happen. I had no idea this was a rule until reading about it this morning.

Yep, they changed the rule in the '15/'16 season. But............that being the case, why didn't Jamie yell at one of the players coming down the court, CALL TIME OUT?

4th. down

I've wondered this too. From my seat or TV, it usually looks like there is a pass available to rolling KS to try to finish near the rim. But I guess it's not obvious or doesn't look like a wise pass on ground level.

Yeah it looks obvious, but he just doesn't have the hands for it.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Do we know that for sure? I mean, yes I've seen him flub one but I've also seen him grab a pass and dunk in the same game.

If we're going to turn it over or take a terrible shot with clock running down anyway, why not try it a few times? Even if he can catch it once out of every two, that should be an 80% shot half the time, which makes for a 40% scoring rate. I'd say that eclipsed some of the percentages during our really down offensive stretches.

4th. down

Do we know that for sure? I mean, yes I've seen him flub one but I've also seen him grab a pass and dunk in the same game.

If we're going to turn it over or take a terrible shot with clock running down anyway, why not try it a few times? Even if he can catch it once out of every two, that should be an 80% shot half the time, which makes for a 40% scoring rate. I'd say that eclipsed some of the percentages during our really down offensive stretches.

That's a thought.

LawFrog504

On TV, it looked like several times KS was wide open on those plays, I mean by several feet, and didn't get the ball.
Did we place KS in witness protection last night? Honest question. Guy has shown himself to be effective in both games against KU and is ignored and benched in favor of traps of AR and heaves from JD with 4 seconds left on the shot clock. This kid can play. Give him the freaking ball

Dogfrog

Even if KS is wide open, when our guard is so covered up that he can’t make the pass without having the pass deflected, it becomes risky. It’s a bang bang decision the guy with the ball has to make. Also until KS can make free throws his late game contribution will be somewhat limited.

Eight

there is no doubt when you have two capable offensive options that pick and roll can be incredibly effective, but with the screen being set at the free throw line or higher the majority of the time this year it effectively negates any offensive threat from the screener.

kevin isn't going to be a threat from the free throw line out and he has struggled when we throw him the ball while he is on the move several feet out from the basket. davis and jd have had some success throwing the lob to him over the top, but for some reason that pass is not in alex's repertoire

one reason i wanted to see jd flash up on the pick where he does have a big of range on his jumper and allow kevin to work for position on the block. don't know why the frogs just won't go down on the block with him and fran mentioned that last night.

PO Frog

there is no doubt when you have two capable offensive options that pick and roll can be incredibly effective, but with the screen being set at the free throw line or higher the majority of the time this year it effectively negates any offensive threat from the screener.

kevin isn't going to be a threat from the free throw line out and he has struggled when we throw him the ball while he is on the move several feet out from the basket. davis and jd have had some success throwing the lob to him over the top, but for some reason that pass is not in alex's repertoire

one reason i wanted to see jd flash up on the pick where he does have a big of range on his jumper and allow kevin to work for position on the block. don't know why the frogs just won't go down on the block with him and fran mentioned that last night.
Yes a traditional entry pass to Samuel in the post does not appear to be in our playbook. He has shown some promise with his back to the basket jump hook, and lefties always present defenders additional challenges. Maybe he doesn’t perform in practice so guys aren’t comfortable throwing it inside? Would at least be something the other team would have to prepare for. As it is, play the high pick slip screen and you’re as prepared as you need to be to guard us.

Wog68

I've said several times that KS has terrible hands and he obviously cannot shoot free throws. That means, because of a lack of depth, that Miller must be on the floor at the end. Need a couple big transfers (Guys like Vlad would be helpful) who can play.

Eight

Yes a traditional entry pass to Samuel in the post does not appear to be in our playbook. He has shown some promise with his back to the basket jump hook, and lefties always present defenders additional challenges. Maybe he doesn’t perform in practice so guys aren’t comfortable throwing it inside? Would at least be something the other team would have to prepare for. As it is, play the high pick slip screen and you’re as prepared as you need to be to guard us.

beats the hell out of me as he is shooting 67% from the floor for the year and 60% in conference play.

when you look at shots per minute out of bane, noi, robinson, miller, davis, and samuel it isn't even close to who has the fewest shots per minute and half his rebounds are offensive rebounds. kevin roughly gets 5 shots per game in 23 minutes a game which is criminal, but i guess the low post game in the modern game of basketball is the equivalent of a between the tackles run game in football

PO Frog