• The KillerFrogs

Gaines out for the year?

Moose Stuff

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I just think the big difference for me is that almost all of our 2015 struggles (though they didn't result in many losses) were attributable to bad luck with injuries. The loss to OU was pretty much only because of injuries. This year we've created plenty of our own bad luck with turnovers and various other mistakes that have had little to nothing to do with injuries.

I also think you're forgetting some of the offensive injuries in 2015, particularly at receiver. Sure, Doctson didn't get hurt until late, but there were games early in the year where he was the only healthy starter at WR. Listenbee, D Gray, Slanina, Porter all missed time.

And we’ve got at least two starting WR hurt right now. I’m not telling anyone who disagrees with me that they’re crazy but I firmly disagree with anyone who thinks any of those 2015 injuries impacted the team like injuries to Blacklock (thought he was easily our most important player at the time), Igwuagwu, and Gaines have/will. You can pinpoint the demise of the offense literally to the second Igwuagwu got hurt. We haven’t been able to run the ball to save our lives since.

Last edited:

jake102

And we’ve got at least two starting WR hurt right now. I’m not telling anyone who disagrees with me that they’re crazy but I firmly disagree with anyone who thinks any of those 2015 injuries impacted the team like injuries to Blacklock (easily our most important player IMO), Igwuagwu, and Gaines have/will. You can pinpoint the demise of the offense literally to the second Igwuagwu got hurt. We haven’t been able to run the ball to save our lives since.

It's a very Patrick Morris'y situation.

Losing Blacklock AND Gaines is a total gut punch. Easily our two best defensive players.

Moose Stuff

Some interesting comments from the Blacklock injury thread. The single worst loss we could have suffered on defense.

Agree. Banogu, Collier, and Bethley are an easily above avg trio at the other theee spots. We’ve got Ellis/Broadnax/Cooper to fill in for Ross and solid depth at DE. We’ll be worse without Ross but not as bad as some of you are acting like we will be.

agree and find it interesting that a site that just a short time ago was touting the depth and talent of the d-line as not only among the best in the 12 but possibly the country goes braindead over the loss of one player. yes, he is a big player physically and in the role he can play. this team isn't 1 deep anymore and i think some people are going to be surprised what cooper and ellis bring to the position

People can treat this however they want but I’m gonna stick to the idea that we have legitimate talent at every position on the field, good depth at most of them, and one injury isn’t gonna tank our season.

At least one of those comments is from me and I’ll maintain that one injury wouldn’t have totally derailed our season. It also didn’t help that LJ is just now getting healthy and that Cooper/Ellis who we were told were gonna be more than capable replacements for Ross haven’t done a thing yet.

The injury to Igwuagwu is what started the train’s departure from the tracks.

CountryFrog

And we’ve got at least two starting WR hurt right now. I’m not telling anyone who disagrees with me that they’re crazy but I firmly disagree with anyone who thinks any of those 2015 injuries impacted the team like injuries to Blacklock (thought he was easily our most important player at the time), Igwuagwu, and Gaines have/will. You can pinpoint the demise of the offense literally to the second Igwuagwu got hurt. We haven’t been able to run the ball to save our lives since.
I'm not disagreeing that those injuries have had a big impact. This team just isn't as good as that 2015 team and so our injuries are hurting us more. The 2015 team was good enough to win in spite of injuries.

CountryFrog

It's a very Patrick Morris'y situation.

Losing Blacklock AND Gaines is a total gut punch. Easily our two best defensive players.
Easily? So Banogu isn't even in the conversation for being one of our top 2 defensive players?

I love Gaines and Blacklock but I'm not sure either is better than Ben and if they are it's close. All three are terrific.

CountryFrog

I think Innis is easily the best thru 6 games. Gladney up there too.
Gaines has been the most productive for sure.

I know some people are down on Ben because he hasn't had a ton of sacks but he's been very disruptive in every game and obviously the play between him and Gaines against Iowa St is why we're 3-3 instead of 2-4. I wouldn't have an argument with anyone who wants to put Blacklock, Gaines, or Banogu in any order but it's really close. I'd only say that it's a little easier for Gaines to be productive because of the position he plays. With Banogu, if an offense really wants to take him out of a game then they can. It's much easier to game plan around a DE than a safety who lines up all over the field.

Gladney is really good as well. I love what he's done the last two years.

CountryFrog

Gladney has quietly been having a great season IMO. It could be argued that he has been as good as anyone. He'll have his work cut out for him tomorrow though.
If last year is any indication then OU probably won't be throwing at him today much either. In both games last year they almost exclusively targeted our LBs and safeties in coverage. I'd expect the same this year, especially with the injuries we have at safety.

FrogLifeYo

If last year is any indication then OU probably won't be throwing at him today much either. In both games last year they almost exclusively targeted our LBs and safeties in coverage. I'd expect the same this year, especially with the injuries we have at safety.

Yup...They want to cross us up in the middle of the field by stressing our LBs in coverage. They are definitely going to take their shots deep today. If you’ve watched them they are using Brown kid just like we use Turp..A lot of motion