• The KillerFrogs

Gaines out for the year?

Injuries suck and injuries to stand-out players stand-out as sucking. But all teams go through this and we’re just closer to our situation. What I do think is different is that we don’t ever appear to have the bench strength to mitigate against such injuries. Personally I think part of that is recruiting and part of that are schemes on both sides of the ball that aren’t as intuitive to incoming players which means longer to develop spare but effective parts. (O because there’s no apparent core philosophy and D because the 4-2-5 is pretty complex and fluid).
I really do agree with this. I feel like we're maybe better off in the safety positions than in the past but we'll see how that looks against OU. It's been very noticeable on offense how much less plug and play we are at QB than some other air raid style teams. Bram had the comeback vs Oregon but the only reason that was so epic is because he was something beyond awful in the first half of that game.

TCURiggs

I really do agree with this. I feel like we're maybe better off in the safety positions than in the past but we'll see how that looks against OU. It's been very noticeable on offense how much less plug and play we are at QB than some other air raid style teams. Bram had the comeback vs Oregon but the only reason that was so epic is because he was something beyond awful in the first half of that game.

Helped that we knocked their QB out as well...

Helped that we knocked their QB out as well...
Obviously, although I would say perhaps more he knocked himself out lowering his head to take on a defender. Just noting that the comeback wouldn't have been considered so epic if the offense had accomplished anything in the first half before the obligatory "Bram Kohlhausen says hi" post comes along regarding backup QB play.

Eight

2012 team had 3 true freshmen starters in the o-line. boykin i think was a redshirt fresh, kindred was a true fresh at safety

all i can name off top of head

Pharm Frog

I have multiple theories that are probably all false but here are a couple of more:

We famously take a lot of high school offensive players and turn them into defenders. While this has served us well on many occasions, I think there’s a time-to-effectiveness trade-off and even more so with the 4-2-5.

Also, the constant reliance on the sideline for calls (both O and D) I believe may actually stymie the development of depth ironically. If your players are that reliant on in-game situational coaching, you’ve got to get more and more players playing time so they can execute the orders to develop depth. Playing a position instinctively has got to be easier in my opinion. Just feels like over-coaching (but I’ve long felt this way...not just this season)

I have multiple theories that are probably all false but here are a couple of more:

We famously take a lot of high school offensive players and turn them into defenders. While this has served us well on many occasions, I think there’s a time-to-effectiveness trade-off and even more so with the 4-2-5.

Also, the constant reliance on the sideline for calls (both O and D) I believe may actually stymie the development of depth ironically. If your players are that reliant on in-game situational coaching, you’ve got to get more and more players playing time so they can execute the orders to develop depth. Playing a position instinctively has got to be easier in my opinion. Just feels like over-coaching (but I’ve long felt this way...not just this season)
I don't see a reason why those are not contributing factors. As you note, if someone is playing a new position, it's new, so there is bound to be some lack of certainty in what they're doing. A lot of calling offense and defense is based on personnel and tendencies regarding down and distance. The call can be right for that but the players still need to be able to confirm and react to whether the call in and of itself is sufficient to provide success or if something different from what is expected is occurring. There is some science and some art to it.

Volare

<----------------------

Is this not our QB on D?

Did Tech not score both TDs once he was gone?

I think our world class D is now a thing of the past.

Sat should be awesome.

TooColdU

It does seem like Coach P has doing a lot more pre-snap coaching ever since Popiscle Bumpas left.

Too much going through our defenders heads might also explain the lack of turnovers the last few years. Playing loose and knowing your assignment on defense is the key to letting their instinct / intangibles take over.

Horny4TCU

Well one thing 2015 taught me was, don't get your hopes up. I remember thinking in the off season, that if Patterson can put together a team with so much inexperience, plus now they have experience, 2016 is going to be dominant...

Anyway, my point to this is, I just hope we don't have two years of suck...

Moose Stuff

Injuries suck and injuries to stand-out players stand-out as sucking. But all teams go through this and we’re just closer to our situation. What I do think is different is that we don’t ever appear to have the bench strength to mitigate against such injuries. Personally I think part of that is recruiting and part of that are schemes on both sides of the ball that aren’t as intuitive to incoming players which means longer to develop spare but effective parts. (O because there’s no apparent core philosophy and D because the 4-2-5 is pretty complex and fluid).

Injuries like this don’t happen to all teams. NFL DT gone, best safety and future NFLer gone, other starting safety gone, best OL gone, played a couple games without starting DE, lost two starting WR, best RB not close to 100%, starting QB playing injured, multiple other OL missed time..... hell even our punter got hurt. And you can throw in that our HC lost both his parents this year..... that’s a BAAAAAAD stretch. And almost nobody has the depth to deal with that. OSU, Bama, Georgia, Clemson, etc might but that’s it.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Injuries like this don’t happen to all teams. NFL DT gone, best safety and future NFLer gone, other starting safety gone, best OL gone, played a couple games without starting DE, lost two starting WR, best RB not close to 100%, starting QB playing injured, multiple other OL missed time..... hell even our punter got hurt. And you can throw in that our HC lost both his parents this year..... that’s a BAAAAAAD stretch. And almost nobody has the depth to deal with that. OSU, Bama, Georgia, Clemson, etc might but that’s it.
It’s a pretty typical number of injuries.

http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/

Depth is the problem. Especially on the OL.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
You missed the point of my post. The amount was of secondary importance.
Yeah, what’s funny is I don’t think I meant to quote you but I can’t figure out who I did mean to quote. It’s possible I just assume every post is someone being overly dramatic. Because that’s 99 percent true on here lately.

Your point was valid. My response wasn’t. I’m leaving it up to shame myself.

Moose Stuff

Yeah, what’s funny is I don’t think I meant to quote you but I can’t figure out who I did mean to quote. It’s possible I just assume every post is someone being overly dramatic. Because that’s 99 percent true on here lately.

Your point was valid. My response wasn’t. I’m leaving it up to shame myself.

You’re clearly concussed. Even our posters are getting hurt now.

BedfordFrog68

Well one thing 2015 taught me was, don't get your hopes up. I remember thinking in the off season, that if Patterson can put together a team with so much inexperience, plus now they have experience, 2016 is going to be dominant...

Anyway, my point to this is, I just hope we don't have two years of suck...

I'm afraid that will be the case....

Pharm Frog

I expect that we may begin to know a lot more about team’s injuries as this college sports betting becomes more and more legalized and regulated across states.