• The KillerFrogs

Gabe Ikard OU Radio on TCU game

dawg

Let's go through these:

-Says Max Duggan is a better, younger Brewer. Believes he is going to be a problem for the league for a long time. Yep. Max will be good next year, great his junior & senior years.

-Thinks Sewo could hurt OU because of how physical a runner he is. OU has been soft defensively. True, and a fair assessment. Sewo does run hard; he and DA can have success vs OU's run defense.

-Reagor made a mistake choosing TCU as he is a rare talent that could have been a top 5 pick under Riley. Harsh in saying he made a mistake, but I do think Riley's offense would utilize him more, and he'd be getting better position coaching. As noted above, though, lazy route running does limit your effectiveness.

-Cumbie is a trash coordinator and should be fired immediately. Yeah, when [ Finebaum ] is bad enough that the mods make [ Finebaum ] a profanity filter...

Cumbie should go to jail for how is under utilized Reagor. Not jail, but he's not effectively scheming to get Reagor the ball. Defenses always plan to take away the other team's biggest threat; good coordinators find ways to still get them involved and make an impact. But again, how much of this is also the responsibility of the player?

Barber is a really nice player. He sure is.

Of the six statements, three are spot-on, one is pretty accurate, and two a bit true and a bit harsh. All in all, a pretty fair assessment from a former OU player, who is expected to be a homer for his alma mater.

flyfishingfrog

Some of the comments on Reagor are way beyond what is reasonable criticism and are just gratuitous nonsense . We've seen what he can do when the OC decided to actually use him as a weapon--he practically beat Baylor and OSU by himself last year. Could his route running and effort be better on some plays? Probably, but the entire year the OC has repeatedly sent him into what is pre-snap readable double and triple coverage with VERY little effort to find him some mismatches and make him a focus of the offense. If he feels like some of his talents are being wasted, he's right and there isn't an argument that can be made against that. It has hurt him and hurt the team that OC is unable or unwilling to utilize him all over the field. If we had made the effort to do that and he was still unproductive, then maybe this level of criticism would be warranted but we haven't and it's not.
so what part of your explanation covers why he quits running his route on almost every play he isn't the primary and evidently about 20% of the time he is the primary - those plays where he is standing still right next to the defender as the ball flies 20 yds past him and pointing at Duggan like Duggan read the defense wrong ?

and why doesn't he try to block?

He is a major talent - a lazy, self centered and poor route running major talent.

Cumbie is the most unoriginal OC in the B12 when it comes to play design for our WR's - so maybe this is chicken and egg - but Reagor isn't helping for sure.

flyfishingfrog

I don’t think this describes Sewo at all. I find myself yelling at him to do exactly as you describe but way too often he decides to dance around and tries bouncing everything outside. He should be a one-cut, downhill runner but he isn’t.
Sewo does not have the speed or agility to go lateral - I agree with you that he needs to hit the hole and if its clogged, he is big enough to open it for at least 3 yds almost everytime.

He almost always loses ground when he turns his shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage - and that is his major flaw in my opinion.

Last edited:

McGregor's Goat

Reagor made a mistake choosing TCU as he is a rare talent that could have been a top 5 pick under Riley

This is an infuriating bit of trash talk and the only part of it I can really disagree with is the "top 5 pick" part. I believe CeeDee Lamb is currently projected as a borderline top 10 pick, so top 5 is a stretch.

But I can't dispute the claim that Reagor is an elite talent who spent his career playing in a bad offense with a weak OC, and could have had a much better career elsewhere.

Billy Clyde

I think it has to do with DA's pass blocking. Opponents figured out midway through the season that when DA was on the field we were running bc he can't pass block well. Sewo, on the other hand, can pass block. He can also run and catch out of the backfield. The result is a defense that crowds the box less for Sewo than against DA, which results in more holes.

This seems like a very sensible explain for why DA is getting stuffed so much compared to Sewo.

Do we EVER run a two-back set with both them to negate this effect???

so what part of your explanation covers why he quits running his route on almost every play he isn't the primary and evidently about 20% of the time he is the primary - those plays where he is standing still right next to the defender as the ball flies 20 yds past him and pointing at Duggan like Duggan read the defense wrong ?

and why doesn't he try to block?

He is a major talent - a lazy, self centered and poor route running major talent.

Cumbie is the most unoriginal OC in the B12 when it comes to play design for our WR's - so maybe this is chicken and egg - but Reagor isn't helping for sure.
None of it because I was addressing what actually happens instead of your hyperbolic version of something that fits only a narrative you have formed in your own mind.

flyfishingfrog

This seems like a very sensible explain for why DA is getting stuffed so much compared to Sewo.

Do we EVER run a two-back set with both them to negate this effect???
you mean adapt to what the defense is giving us? why would we do that?

Or say, move Carter Ware - our TE that looks and acts more like a fullback to actually be a fullback and make a hole for our RB's instead of tucking him in the slot?

flyfishingfrog

None of it because I was addressing what actually happens instead of your hyperbolic version of something that fits only a narrative you have formed in your own mind.
then you don't actually pay attention to him during games if you don't think he literally quits running the majority of his routes

there is a reason he is almost NEVER the outlet for Duggan when he scrambles and also a reason that since Barber has become healthy why we suddenly seem to complete more passes when our QB is out of the pocket.

It is because Reagor quits a lot of his routes before the play develops and thus isn't in a position to come back to the QB effectively and Barber doesn't.

Last edited:

Froggish

Sewo does not have the speed or agility to go lateral - I agree with you that he needs to hit the hole and if its clogged, he is big enough to open it for at least 3 yds almost everytime.

He almost always looses ground when he turns his shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage - and that is his major flaw in my opinion.

Cumbie’s stretch running game isn’t helping him. They need to put him in the pistol and run him down hill. No doubt he thinks he Barry Sanders with the lateral dance

He almost always looses ground when he turns his shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage - and that is his major flaw in my opinion.
Love Sewo, but running him anywhere but straight ahead looks like a dragster trying to do autocross.

Limey Frog

The question was presented as a dichotomous choices of a) Cumbie under-utilizes Reagor or b) Reagor doesn't make enough effort. Sometimes (more often than not?) the effort a player puts forth is a reflection on the coaching he's received. If it's true that Reagor isn't making the same kind of effort that CeeDee Lamb makes, is that not a reflection on our offensive staff? If Lamb was in Fort Worth and Reagor in Norman, what would their respective numbers be? That was the radio guy's initial point. We can't be sure, but I'd put my bet on Riley making a world-beater of him.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

For all of you constantly criticizing Reagor's route running. Are you watching him and him alone on every single play that he's on the field? Do you know what plays are being called, what checks are being made pre snap, and what reads are supposed to be made post snap? Are you watching various other wide receivers around the country to compare all of these things he does to all of the things they do?

I'm not even saying that you're wrong about some of the things that you're saying but unless you're doing ALL of those things for every game then you really can't grade his route running in comparison to other college wide receivers.

The spread offense in general is pretty infamous for producing WR's who don't run good routes. So that's another factor is how these guys are being taught to run routes, which none of us actually know.

Does he give 100% effort on every play? We can all watch the game and see that's not the case but he's also our best player on offense and I'd love to have 2 or 3 more of him at WR.

Wexahu

For all of you constantly criticizing Reagor's route running. Are you watching him and him alone on every single play that he's on the field? Do you know what plays are being called, what checks are being made pre snap, and what reads are supposed to be made post snap? Are you watching various other wide receivers around the country to compare all of these things he does to all of the things they do?

I'm not even saying that you're wrong about some of the things that you're saying but unless you're doing ALL of those things for every game then you really can't grade his route running in comparison to other college wide receivers.

The spread offense in general is pretty infamous for producing WR's who don't run good routes. So that's another factor is how these guys are being taught to run routes, which none of us actually know.

Does he give 100% effort on every play? We can all watch the game and see that's not the case but he's also our best player on offense and I'd love to have 2 or 3 more of him at WR.

I don't watch him on every play obviously, but I have to say I don't care much for his body language. Not just on the field stuff either. No sense getting into too much detail because I might be totally off base, but just for example his reactions when he scores a TD vs when someone else on our team scores one, hard to put a finger on it but it doesn't scream team-first guy. He might be the most well-liked kid on the locker room, I have no idea.

FrogCop19

I don't watch him on every play obviously, but I have to say I don't care much for his body language. Not just on the field stuff either. No sense getting into too much detail because I might be totally off base, but just for example his reactions when he scores a TD vs when someone else on our team scores one, hard to put a finger on it but it doesn't scream team-first guy. He might be the most well-liked kid on the locker room, I have no idea.

Agreed. And to make matters worse, even when he scores it doesn't seem to have the anticipated reaction. He used to run around, be excited, hold up his two fingers in the "peace" symbol (no idea if that's what it means, but that's what it looks like). Now, he just kind of wanders off.

As for his other on-the-field actions, I have noticed that during replays (and rewinds on my part, as I coach I like to watch how plays develop or blow up), I have noticed a very troubling pattern. Unfortunately it's not a new one for the WR position, and it's that if he knows he's not getting the ball, he doesn't go full speed, he doesn't block, and he doesn't provide the necessary decoy needed as arguably the most offensively talented person on the squad. Even if he does end up being targeted, sometimes he's not in the correct place because maybe he was the second or third or even fourth progression in the play. Every route should be run like he is the target, and that he is going to score. A teammate's job is to do their job so that the TEAM is successful. Imagine if Sewo didn't block because he knows he's not getting the ball. Or if a linebacker didn't flow to the other side of the field because he knows the run is going away from him.

When everyone does their job to the best of their ability, it makes everyone around them better.

cheese83

The thing that baffles me about our scheme is how clueless we are as a team dealing with blitzes. When the QB sees blitz, why not have Reagor or someone else simply adjust to a slant or a quick out or just a flat out fly route is so puzzling/infuriating? This is something we were taught in junior high...................in Oklahoma no less with such simple play calls as Red 88 pass on one Break!

Amazing how we can't do the simple things like that at the D1 level.

You've got to have a hole, he does it plenty when there's room. Guy isn't as soft as everyone acts, he has carried people into the end zone multiple times for touchdowns.