• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Winkler delivers in TCU win

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: Winkler delivers in TCU win

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Kyle Winkler was in the same situation Saturday as he found himself much of the 2010 season: following a great start by Matt Purke.

As he often did during TCU's historic run last season, Winkler turned in a performance every bit as good, if not better, against Kansas at Lupton Stadium.

Winkler struck out eight, walked none and allowed just one hit in seven innings as the No. 1 Horned Frogs defeated Kansas 7-1 in front of an announced attendance of 4,401. The Frogs (2-0) set a three-game series attendance record with a two-game total of 10,500. They will add to the record when Steve Maxwell starts for TCU in the Game 3 finale with Kansas (0-2) at 1 p.m. today. ...

sous vide

Isn't Kansas supposed to be an OK team? They were above .500 last year and made the regionals in 2009.

I have lots of faith in the Frogs--and watching Pharr/Elander play so far at catcher is comforting--but I really wasn't expecting 15-3 in 2 games. That's really an awesome start! Of course Baylor/Fullerton next week will be much truer tests, I suppose.